• This topic has 90 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Names- come on. I need 'simulated' playground negativity on this choice
  • hora
    Free Member

We are stumped for a name…so as STW can be pugilistic I want to test-run/roadtest a name…

Growing up, from 5- 20yrs old. Do you think this name would be a disadvantage?

Luca.

nbt

Luca "skywalker". Kids that age won't know about starwars though. Also sounds vaguely sicilian, capisce? Why go sicilian, why not luke or lucas?

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

I like Luca and Luke but my father in law put us off it. Everytime he heres it he says "LOOK both ways". Best said in a Dublin accent btw!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Luc -> Fuc -> Fuca -> ..

Stick to Bingo.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does he live on the second floor? Upstairs from you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are you of Italian descent?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ne ne ne neeeh ne…Luca Puka

hora
    Free Member

Are you of Italian descent?

Thats the only 'negative' thought that I had as well.

clubber
    Free Member

Absolutely any name will be twisted into something nasty by other kids if they want to find something. You just want to avoid the really obvious ones ( like someone I work with whose first name and surname together sound like pe-do…)

Luca sounds fine. As above Suzanne Vega's song is the only obvious reference I can think of and it's a decent enough song so I don't see that as a major issue.

stumpy01

I quite like it and can't think of any significant disadvantages in terms of future mickey-taking etc. over and above other names….

Kid's always find some kind of nickname regardless or the actual name.

Without knowing your surname though it's difficult to cover every base. For example, if your surname was Puker, I'd reconsider. 🙂

SaxonRider

The naming bible:

[Not just worksafe. It'll get you a promotion.]

Karinofnine

What's your last name – that makes a big difference? For instance, if your surname is Head, you wouldn't call your child Richard would you?

coffeeking
    Free Member

lucat me (in that strange way some people say the double "o")

But ultimately I'd hope that any kid could deal with a little name-manipulation at school, it's all part of growing up and if you're not a wilting flower it's not going to even ruin your day. Call it what you like and tell it the MTFU when it comes home crying 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Lucas? As two friends link Luca with a girls name.

clubber
    Free Member

Luca Horacek?

Look at Wh0re? Pretty weak.

nbt

Hint: Horacek's not his real surname. Are you going double-barrelled with lisa's surname too? That makes a difference

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about a normal simple name. giving your kids unusual names for the sake of it is vanity. Unless you have a cultural heritage that is not your basic brit anglo saxon go for a basic brit anglo saxon name – preferably one that is monosyllabic or has a nice monosyllabic shortened form.

I hated my name when growing up and would have loved a simple common name

hora
    Free Member

FFS

http://www.baby-names-guide.co.uk/top-baby-names-2009.php

nbt its my Mums side. Post-divorce years ago. When we moved up to Manchester I experiment with my Dads but I stopped using it after a year as it felt wrong.

SaxonRider

I think it depends on your ethnic background. I'm strongly in favour of first names that match surnames. I find it very difficult when I am in Germany to explain to people why my first name is so 'English' in comparison to my German surname. Especially when there is a perfectly "English-sounding" equivalent that would be easier on the ears in Germany.

But I was named in Canada, where such mixes as mine are perfectly normal.

Consequently, all of my kids have names that draw on their Eastern-Central European backgrounds, yet sound relatively 'normal' to British ears.

clubber
    Free Member

On the other hand, TJ, I had a relatively (then, not now!) uncommon name and like the fact that I wasn't one of 3 or 4 with the same name growing up.

My son's name is similarly uncommon. I'd suggest that it's the wacky names or silly spellings that are a pain for people growing up based on what I saw growing up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lucas is a nice name…but like you say, very popular.

If I have aboy, he's getting called Séamus.

hels
    Free Member

Nice name, a boyfriend of mine many many years ago had a kid called Luca. (He was of Italian background and his former wife was Chinese.)

Anyways the only negative aspect of the name was that a few years after Luca was born that song came out by Suzanne Vega about the kid that had been abused "my name is Luka" and all that. Today's generation may not remember tho so you might not get quite so many raised eyebrows.

nbt

hora – Member

FFS

http://www.baby-names-guide.co.uk/top-baby-names-2009.php

Just cos it's popular doesn't mean it's what you have to do. Loads of people watch Eastenders, does that mean you have to?

How about Lukasz which as I'm sure you're aware is the Polish version of Luke, and thus more in keeping with your ancestry

nbt

Hora, I know, but is it the one you use on your passport and the one you;r going to give BabyHora? That;'s the one you have to consider

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You've had nine months to think of names!!

We had chosen a boy and a girls name and she was named within seconds if entering the world last Saturday.

Luca is nice, any family names you can consider?

nbt

you keep editing your post while I'm typing 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like Luca!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

silly spellings

Jeebus, don't get me started on this one.

Examples recently from friends…

Sofie (supposedly "French"….FFS…you live in frickin' Bristol babs!)
    Karyn

You realise that for the grown up portion of your child's life, it will be saying "No, that's Sofie with an "f", then "I,e"

Trying having a Gaelic name with a Gaelic spelling…

DezB
    Free Member

Bit too close to Lucorrhea
    Its something we found out about at school..

hora
    Free Member

If I have aboy, he's getting called Séamus.

Immediately some name calling springs to mind on that one!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Lucy?
    Lucky?

coffeeking
    Free Member

How about a normal simple name. giving your kids unusual names for the sake of it is vanity.

We could start just numbering them, it'd be far easier.

woody2000

Does it pass the supermarket test? Just imagine he's running away from you in Tescos, and you have to shout his name – would you feel embarrassed shouting "Luca, get back here you little sh*t!"? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We could start just numbering them, it'd be far easier.

Spot the catholics in Tesco then….

"Seven! Eight! Get your arses back here you little shits!"

hora
    Free Member

My choices have been binned. I wanted Morrissey. Morrissey doesnt work as a middlename 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just imagine he's running away from you in Tescos, and you have to shout his name

While i dont know hora, if he's anything like everyone else at Tescos that test is completely invalid. It's an out-of-control child racetrack.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

A neighbours kid is called Luca, can't comment on how "school safe" it is, he's only just started school.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its just my view – I wanted a normal name with one syllable.

Being called Jeremy, having a lisp and going to a relatively tough Glasgow comprehensive was not always easy and a more common name would have helped.

toys19
    Free Member

Luca – lukemia, puke, puker, flook, flooker, luca the fooka.

All pretty good really, any name is going to have playground connataions, who cares, BTFU. (B=Baby)

davidrussell
    Free Member

luca sounds a bit soft, better not send him to work with rollerskates on or he'll catch a beating.

call him diesel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Names- come on. I need 'simulated' playground negativity on this choice’ is closed to new replies.