Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Name a person who makes you proud to be british…
  • maccruiskeen

p.s i’m part scottish/welsh also.hoping that i’m part irish too

If it turns out you are part irish you can join my part english part scottish part welsh part irish club. I’m also 1/8th dwarf. My irish bit isn’t linked to a bit of irelands history you’d want to celebrate though.

5AM
    Free Member

Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

stanfree
    Free Member

Alive Sir David Attenborough.
    Dead Harry Patch.

kayak23

Barry chuckle

kayak23

RichPenny
    Free Member

No one , I don’t get patriotism at all. That isn’t a criticism, it just means nothing to me.

loum
    Free Member

Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama

emsz
    Free Member

From these guys…

To her…

we do this better than pretty much everywhere else :mrgreen:

tails
    Free Member

I like

Sir Francis Drake, mainly because I was hopelessly lost in LA. Having walked for miles along the beach I went inland to get some shade I then walked another mile through an industrial area looking for a cab. I finally find a cab and start chatting to the cabbie who knew a lot about LA. He then said; “You know that English guy I really like” I’m thinking go on then Beckham, Lennon, Bond. “Sir Fwancis Dwake” He then gave me a history lesson I’ll never forgot. Top guy.

Steve Peat, For showing that nice guys do win. I loved seeing him win the worlds!

Robin Day, For designing the most ubiquitous of items.

Junkyard
    Free Member

count [ the typo got caught by the swear filter] zero and his services to pedantry.

Garry_Lager

Tony Hibbert is another guy who makes you proud to be British. Overcomes hideous limitations in ability and plays premiership football each week. Apparently gets paid, too.

nonk
    Free Member

No one , I don’t get patriotism at all. That isn’t a criticism, it just means nothing to me.

it is indeed just a patch of land you happened to be born on.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Battenberg

maccruiskeen

Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Battenberg

I’ll see your Battenberg and raise you a Mr Kippling

iDave
    Free Member

Don’t you have to have contributed to something to be proud of it? How can someone born in the same country, doing something better than you’ve done, make you proud? Just asking like.

Nick

Must be January/mid life crisis month.

Be proud of what you have achieved.

Drac

It tends to be what the person who you’re proud have has done, if your proud of them because they did nothing and you did something that would make no sense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so idave I should feel equally about Ghandi or stalin as I contributed nothing to their achievements then
    I suppose I could use living example as well. I see nothing wrong with admiring folk for what they have achieved even though i have done nothing to help them achieve it

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I dont give a toss about being British but people from Britain I admire are, Iain Banks, Tim Roth, Stephen Fry and Thom Yorke. I also have alot of time for Jamie Oliver. Although a bit nippy at times he;s done alot of good for our kids. Nice to see someone use their fame for good.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I feel quite lucky to be British.

I mean there are a few other nationalities I wouldn’t mind being, but I’m pretty glad not to be Nigerian, or North Korean, or Bangladeshi.

I’m sure people from those countries will also be proud of their nationalities, but
    they don’t half increase your chances of having a pretty tough life.

How about this guy?

lambchop
    Free Member

Morrissey.

yossarian
    Free Member

Joe Strummer

organdonor
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime – Member

[quote]How about this guy?[/quote]

For parking his van somewhere scenic and having a w@nk? Or being a “scruffy truck fitter”? 🙂

I like Guy, admire his skill and racing spirit, also his honesty and ‘joie de vivre’ – but does he make me proud to be British? No.

I admire people mentioned above, other Brits too – just not in a different way than I admire any other individual, regardless of nationality. Maybe I just don’t get patriotism.

To paraphrase Doug Stanhope – “Britain is just a government trying to make you behave in a certain way. We’re not British; we’re just people, individuals. I’m no more British than I am a virgo or an uncle, it’s something you called me and I just was here”

duckman

The Armstrong clans (border reivers) of the west march for freshening up the English gene pool.Could you imagine how bad the neighbours would be without 400 years of this valuable input/freshening of their gene pool?

mugsys_m8

Forget your shouty shouty “look at me, look at me” explorer types like Scott* and Sir Ranulph Fiennes* and bring me Shackleton.

Shackleton was the MAN.

PS: TazzyMTB: Not sure Mr. Crowley was a great rep for Britain….as mad as a box of frogs maybe….

*Other opinions may exist. This is my opinion only.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

myself

Harry_the_Spider

Living.

Dead.

oldgit
    Free Member

@ Kojaklollipop a great hero of mine there and wrote the best book I’ve ever read.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If it turns out you are part irish you can join my part english part scottish part welsh part irish club. I’m also 1/8th dwarf. My irish bit isn’t linked to a bit of irelands history you’d want to celebrate though

Daddy!!!!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Elfinsafety for me.

senorj

William Wilberforce.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anyway – a great Englishman (Before the time of Great Britain)

John Lilburne, Leader of the Levellers, writer of two of the greatest tracts of political thought ever written,

An Agreement Of The People
    England’s New Chains

Put on trial for treason by BOTH sides during the Civil Wars, a real pain in the ‘arris for King and Cromwell alike.

Also the instigator of the American Constitution over 100yrs before it was written, an inspiration for people like Thomas Payne.

jon1973
    Free Member

How about this guy?

Wolverine is working as a mechanic now?

yossarian
    Free Member

Oh and Alfred the Great. Only King from these isles to get called that. Good reasons too.

John Terry as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good reasons too

To distinguish him from King Alfred the Shortarse ?

brant
    Free Member

Shackleton was the MAN.

He certainly was. But wasn’t he Irish?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tanni Grey-Thompson
    The Guinea Pig Club
    Shakespeare
    Elgar
    Stubbs
    Munnings
    And many, many more.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well he was born and died British, thanks to British imperialism. There was no such thing as Irish nationality during Shackleton’ life.

rewski
    Free Member

@ tazzymtb – I think Jimmy Page would agree.

There’s so many: Alan Turing, John Lennon, Shakespear, Sir Christopher Wren, Willian Blake, John Barry and that’s just the dead ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Name a person who makes you proud to be british…’ is closed to new replies.