Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Naive E-mail Storage/Transfer question
  • myopic
    Free Member

I really should know how to do this, but I don’t 🙁

I’m going to a meeting and want to take a load of emails that currently sit in Outlook folders on my desk top PC (running Windows 10) on my iPad for reference at the meeting.

Not worried about being able to use them as email (i.e. no need to respond or forward them, just view titles, dates, sender and read text).

Only way I can think of is to forward them to me and pick them up on iPad, but there must be a better way, surely?

Have even thought it might be simpler to just print out the whole lot! But I’d prefer not to do that

Anyone know how to do this?

geoffj

Outlook on the iPad pointing at the same exchange server/account?

Assuming security / permissions issues allow

myopic
    Free Member

Yes, Geoff – at least I can pick up my new emails on the iPad, but not ones going back across several years as needed to in this instance

Or was that an instruction rather than a question? 😳

Cougar

I’m confused as to why you would need “emails,” email is a delivery method, not a document format. What do you need to bring to the meeting, is it a conversation history?

Cougar

Or was that an instruction rather than a question?

Suggestion by the looks of it.

myopic
    Free Member

Ok Cougar, to be more exact, what I need is a series of written messages across an extended period that had been sent and received by email. I need an accessible record of message header information and content so yes, a series of conversation histories and associated records.

Cougar

So your question is, “I need access to emails, there must be a better way than emailing”?

I don’t know the circumstances but I can think of three things. This is what I’d do I think, rather than “here’s the emails” go in with “here’s what happened.”

1) Build the audit trail pre-meeting. Open all the message headers and screen-grab or otherwise process it so you’re prepared.

2) As Geoff said, sync your iPad to the account.

3) Save out the relevant messages as .EML files, copy them across and open them with Outlook on the iPad. (Assuming you can do this, I am not an Apple geek.)

myopic
    Free Member

Cougar, kind of.

I’ll give some of that a go tomorrow, thanks both

poly
    Free Member

I’ve had to output evidence of email correspondence over several years (literally hundreds of emails each way). I exported as .eml files (which are actually just rtf so can be opened easily). Of course that isn’t really proof of anything as you can (1) edit the files (2) selectively miss some messages. BUT for the purposes of a meeting it does the job – I’ve not used on an iPad but assume possible.

myopic
    Free Member

Thanks, also Poly

hot_fiat

Save them as PDF and then send them to iCloud?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Naive E-mail Storage/Transfer question’ is closed to new replies.