Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Naim Mu-So and uPnP
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

From the other threads on here I am seriously considering a Naim Mu-so.

For a number of reasons U would like to be available to connect my Windows laptop to it and stream from Amazon music as well as local files. Obviously I want to stream hi-quality digital files and let the DAC in the Mu-So do the work.

Is this possible?

I have googled it but not getting any clear answers.

I don’t know anything about uPnP so the info isn’t clear.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You should be able to make a bluetooth connection which would allow any audio on the laptop to be routed through the muso.

I just tried it with a mac laptop (no windows available to test) and it worked. The first 20- 30 seconds seemed a bit patchy/stuttery as if it was having trouble with the signal but after that it seemed to be solid enough. It looks like it should be fine but if it were me I’d probably take the laptop into the nearest stockist and try it out to be sure.

My music all goes through the system either via uPnP using a plex media server on a NAS drive which gives me all my local music files or failing that I have a mac mini hooked up to the TV with the TV audio routed through the muso via the optical audio input which covers pretty much everything else so I’ve never tried the bluetooth connection before just now. I could connect the mac mini directly to the mu-so but routing via the telly means that it can be used as a soundbar for broadcast tv.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for that MW.

Do you know how the pc deals with the data it sends via bluetooth?

I have a small JBL Flip bluetooth speaker and I always assumed it has no DAC?

Or does the PC cut the sound card out of the process and just send raw data by bluetooth which then runs through a DAC in the speaker?

I apologise in advance if these are really stupid questions but I don’t know a lot about this and £900 is a big investment.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have no idea of how the signal is processed, sorry.

I agree it’s a big chunk of cash to spend which is why I’d suggest getting yourself to a Naim dealer with your laptop and making sure it’ll do what you want it to. Apart from the usual john Lewis / Richer Sounds they are also stocked by a lot of independent hifi retailers that should know their stuff well enough to help. There’s unlikely to be much if any difference to the cost wherever you go, so you may as well go to the place that offers you the best service.

There’s also a reasonably active user group that you could post any specific technical questions here

RichPenny
    Free Member

I will speak to one of the engineers tomorrow morning and confirm/ask them to email you back. I know mine sees a networked PC via UPnP, but my stored music is either on a NAS or a Naim server. The bluetooth route is an option but UPnP would be better integrated.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, missed your last question. I will ask that too, but may get an answer neither of us understand 😉 Not sure what audio over bluetooth protocols are but pretty certain it won’t go near the PC Soundcard and will be decoded by the Mu-so.

yosemitepaul

I’m not sure I can help, I have a Unitiqute, which I guess works in a similar way. I can stream my iTunes library via UPnP, though don’t use it often. I guess it would work in the same way for an Amazon library.
    I think if you use a Bluetooth connection you will loose a considerable amount of quality; not something you want if you have a quality player like the Mu-SO.
    I’d go with MuppetWrangler’s suggestion and go and see a proper Naim dealer (not John Lewis / Richer Sounds) and get some proper advice. I bought mine from Peter Tyson who were more than helpful.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice and info gents.

So it looks the best way will be a network server, DLNA or uPnP and run some media software on my laptop and to forget the bluetooth connection?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So it looks the best way will be a network server, DLNA or uPnP and run some media software on my laptop and to forget the bluetooth connection?

That’s one of the ways that I use it with my ripped files, the bit I’m really not sure on is how this would work streaming your Amazon music library which I think comes via Amazons web interface?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sound quality wise, that should be the case. It’s the Amazon music streaming I don’t know about but one of the software engineers will be able to answer that.

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, advised practice for Amazon Music streaming would be spdif from PC to mu-so digital in. UPnP for all downloaded music, with Bluetooth as an alternative. Bluetooth audio would be via software drivers in the PC.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks Rich.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Naim Mu-So and uPnP’ is closed to new replies.