Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • n+1 …time for a new touring bike
  • cleanerbybike
    Free Member

As per the title, time for a new touring bike, help me choose!

Currently using an audax style road bike with some rufty, tufty wheels. Sometimes use panniers, sometimes a trailer.

But, I’m a bit bored with the bike, and due to it’s weight, the mechanical advantage of the gearing, and my general awesomeness, I keep leaving my girlfriend behind and it’s about to cost me my touring partner.

So, any bargains, anyone flogging one? Long Haul Trucker? Kona Sutra? Dawes? Thorn? Ridgeback? something else?

fasthaggis

look here 🙂

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

‘… start the consultation process …’

Sounds expensive to me, so I’ll add, budget of about a grand, give or take a couple of hundred quid!

Edit: they look rather nice though, especially the Rohloff version

kcal

Shand – lovely. Singular Peregrine would be a good all-rounder. plenty of others as well.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya would, and is, be my choice..

Tim has a bargain Surly LHT that could be made into something spot on?

Sideways

steezysix
    Free Member

Specialized Awol is going to be my next one, just hoping they make the frame only option available in the UK at some point.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Might be a little small – full builds available at Spa for about a grand with CTC discount. They’re in the running …

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got this nice Harry Hall 653 frame. 54cm with a Chris King headset and cantilever brakes, seat post and stem. Loads of braze ons for mudguards, front and rear racks. Three sets of bottle cage bosses. £230 posted. I’ve got a rear wheel too. XT hub on Rigida Sputnik rim for another £30.

takisawa2

I keep finding myself looking at THIS

paulevans
    Free Member

Might have an excellent condition Koga Miyata Globe Traveller for sale soon. Very, very nice bike. Worth a look at the brand if you haven’t already.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

I really like the Silk Road in Racing Green, very, very nice.

McMoonter – thanks but no thanks

paulevans – I’m familiar with Koga, would you send me some pics please, email in profile.

RustySpanner

Test rode a Ridgeback Panorama last year which really impressed me – stiffer and livelier than something like a Galaxy but very stable wirh rear panniers and a barbag.

Nice bike.

rogermoore

I love my Sutra (2011 model) – green seems popular!

RM.

simonk
    Free Member

Surly Troll / Ogre? Does all you ask in either 29″ or 26″ flavours.I just bought the Troll and I am loving it.

ton

what size are you looking for?
    i may be selling a xl disc trucker

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Think an XL would be too big ton – i’m a very average 5’10”

No votes for the quintessential British tourer the Dawes Galaxy, have they fallen out of favour? Or either of Spa Cycle’s own brand tourers. Anyone got experience of these?

jameso

Spa Cycle’s own brand tourers

Spa make nice bikes, they know what they’re doing when it comes to touring and audax bikes.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No idea where you are, but you’re welcome to try my Vaya out if your anywhere near Cheshire?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

ton – Member
    what size are you looking for?
    i may be selling a xl disc trucker

must resist
    must resist
    must resist

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Ton, details please 🙂

deejayen
    Free Member

I like the look of the Spa tourer, and I seem to remember it getting a positive review in the CTC magazine. I’ve bought some items from Spa over the years, including a set of touring wheels, and find them good to deal with.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘n+1 …time for a new touring bike’ is closed to new replies.