Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • N+1 options – titanium or rourke 853
  • moorsey72
    Free Member

Well ive conceded that my croix de fer custom build i bought 2 years ago is indeed too small so time to get let go of what is an otherwise beautiful bike and replace with a more comfortable, long distance/light touring ride.

The croix de fer is a 50cm frame buit im nearer 52, maybe 54 at a push (5ft6.5, 30 inch inseam). I either just swap the frameset for an larger croix de fer or equilibrium disc, get a titanium off the peg frameset or get a 853 steel framset built up by jason/brian Rourke.

I have a trek emonda sl5 in 52cm for my carbon hilly/speedy rides and that fits just fine.

Any experiences or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

takisawa2

853. 😕

Or that stainless grade, 953 ?
    Lovely.

ianbradbury

Rourke.

cheers_drive

Rourke you say, any excuse to post mine.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/iYptLD]P1070226.jpg[/url] by Rob Johnson, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/iYpwmZ]P1070234.jpg[/url] by Rob Johnson, on Flickr

Whether you go for 853 or 953 the experience of getting a Rourke is a good one. I arrived at the shop and Brian was outside he helped me take my current bike upstairs and hang around most for the next few hours whilst I was measured up and preferences taken. Gareth who does the fitting is great too, didn’t get to meet Jason.
    With a Rourke it will be custom built and painted to your requirements, mine still feel special after 3 years, I know if it was off the peg I’d be looking for something else by now.

oldnpastit

Lush….

TiRed

I’d buy a longer stem. One size down is no big deal.

Then I’d buy another bike as well. Fixed titanium for me.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooooo, that Rourke is lovely.

imnotverygood

I’d get a Rourke. It will always feel special. As said above: buying it is an experience in itself.

cozz
    Free Member

My Rourke

moorsey72
    Free Member

The financially sensible option would indeed be a longer stem. However, after looking at those beauties sensible just went out of the window and mr rourke will most likely be getting a call in the new year. I love the bare metal thing of 953 but its a bit pricey and concerned it will be a little stiff for the ‘comfort’ ride im after. Lovely bikes 😯

martymac

I Would go custom 853 over off the peg ti.
    Worth it to make sure it fits you properly, a major consideration at the sort of price point you are thinking of.
    Thats just my 2P, ymmv etc

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Whilst you’re window shopping (and you mentioned discs) have you seen the Enigma Evoke bundle offer? Upgraded frame finish, Enve fork, post bar and stem for £2k.

I started a similar thread a while back and am still shopping.
    Also…
    Shand?
    Mason?
    Bowman?

TiRed

Rourke isn’t making 953 any more, I believe. Painted 953 with shiny highlights would be a thing of beauty.

andykirk
    Free Member

Lovely looking bikes.

Am I the only one who finds the Ultegra chainring one of the vilest designs ever created though?

rocket
    Free Member

Never get bored of seeing cheers drives Rourke. A thing of beauty. I’d go for one of them for sure.

velosam
    Free Member

For Ti there is also Burls.

Does it have to be Rourke? Saffron frameworks had some nice bikes as well.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d still love a Ricky Feather creation…

cheers_drive

Rourke still do 953 according to their website, its not massively more than 853 either. Having said that they I don’t think that can do fancy finishes like mirror polished section like Enigma or others can.
    I chose 953 as the tube sections are Lee’s that ti and I like that aesthetic, I also like to be different.

mboy
    Free Member

Does it have to be Rourke?

But don’t you dare steal my place in the queue! 😉

TheGingerOne

Enigma – I know a lot of people who ended up with Ti and would not consider anything else now. If my Planet X Ti Pro Road ever dies, it will be replaced with an Enigma frame for sure.

mboy
    Free Member

I know a lot of people who ended up with Ti and would not consider anything else now

Horses for courses innit. I’ve ridden lots of good Ti frames and plenty of good steel ones. There’s an obvious weight advantage with Ti, but I definitely prefer the ride feel of good steel vs Ti myself. Then there’s the cost to consider too, where a decent custom built steel frame is likely to start around £1k and custom Ti probably closer to £2k. Even if I had the money though I prefer the ride of steel.

ianfitz
    Free Member

If I was going 953 it would be with Hartley cycles. Works of art!

moorsey72
    Free Member

Thanks for all the great comments, i must admit i love the look of a bare metal frames and that alone draws me towards titanium. However, from whats been said i would imagine a custom built rourke frame would be both a delight to ride and presents good value. Im a 70s kid so the old school feel is also a draw. I think i might be sold. Are there cost implications on colour schemes and designs?

MoreCashThanDash

Having had the pleasure of being shown around the bar area upstairs by Brian Rourke himself, if I could afford it I’d be there.

scud
    Free Member

There is one disc frame that i keep coming back to and wondering if i really do need both kidneys and it’s this Donhou, just love the paint on it.

http://road.cc/content/news/130322-donhou-bicycles-signature-steel-dss1-disc-equipped-frameset-launched

[/url]Donhou Bicycles Signature Steel DSS1 1 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Donhou Signature Steel – down tube 2 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

cheers_drive

Are there cost implications on colour schemes and designs?

Yes you pay for more colours and for polished areas. Generally there is a price list for each so you can work it out before committing to a design. From memory the white sections with red key lines added about £100 to mine. The bare stays are included in the stainless cost IIRC.
    You can fully polish the whole frame with stainless but it’s labour intensive and expensive. When I spoke to one of the Enigma frame builders at Bespoke they said fully polishing a frame is a hateful job and also needs lots of cleaning and polishing by the owner to keep it looking good.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Thanks for the info cheers_drive, thats good with me, had a similar design to yours in mind but with grey paint and some red/white/blue accents. Better start selling bikes to make room and be financially sensible (or not 😉 ). Will try and pop into Rourke on my travels over the next few weeks to have a look.

MoreCashThanDash

Seen two Donhou in the flesh, and they are gorgeous.

I think there’s a DS2 gravel bike as well now, if you have any organs left to sell

andyfla
    Free Member

tripster atr – lovely all round ride

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

’til it cracks near the headtube just outside the derisory warranty. I know there’s a lot of love on here for tripsters so just offering a counterpoint, and why I ruled Kinesis Titanium out of my similar search.

MoreCashThanDash

Its OK, his PCL snapped before his head tube did…..

imnotverygood

Interestingly enough I happen to have both a Tripster & a Rourke 953. I love both bikes, but the Rourkie wins hands down as a purely road bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

moorsey72 – i must admit i love the look of a bare metal frames

Could get something chrome plated or there are some good chrome effect powder coats around now.

boblo
    Free Member

I pondered the self same question recently and went off the peg Ti (Enigma Etape). Shouldagotta Rourke. I know it goes against the grain not recommending the same route but the Ti just doesn’t feel ‘special’ enough for me. I’ve learned my lesson, springy custom 853 is the way to go…

andyfla
    Free Member

thanks Cash, nice to have friends with faith in me

therevokid
    Free Member

really, really, REALLY wanted a Rourke, but opted for the Mason Definition
    in the end …. haven’t been disappointed in the year or so all weather, all
    terrain it’s been on, at or over 🙂

SaxonRider

Those Rourkes pictures are gorgeous!

velocipede
    Free Member

Here’s my Rourke——and it’s currently for sale! (sorry for the hijack but as this seems to be attracting plenty of Rourke fans!!!!)

It’s built in Deda SAT14 tubing, so not as high end as some above, but still a Rourke and still lovely!

Spec is a bit different now (saddle, seat post, bars and stem are all now improvements on this but I can provide spec details if anyone is interested)

moorsey72
    Free Member

Just thought i would update the thread. Thanks for advice and thoughts, was a great help in making a decision. Got fitted for an 853 rourke, was indeed a great experience. My frame is due start of August 😀 gone for titanium grey and cream with world champion stripe details. Gathering components as we speak, so far got chris king headset, trp long reach brakes, silver athena groupo with carbon cx chainset. Counting the days…….

TiRed

And the longer stem? 😕

Contemplating a 953 Rourke to replace the paddy wagon frame. A nicer steel fixed road bike with Enve bits. Or a disc wheel set and TT frame. Too many choices!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘N+1 options – titanium or rourke 853’ is closed to new replies.