Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • N Sea oil industry. What's the feeling at the moment?
  • bigjim

Looks like that is me going to be redundant in March :/

cornholio98
    Free Member

Bigjim, that suck balls. This office I work in used (Houston) to be full and now has about 40% empty desks. On the plus side some of them had jobs on the say day they were told about leaving and many more had jobs within a few weeks so depending on your skill set all is not lost.

I understand that the aim of the companies is to preserve shareholder value and dividend but it all seems a bit excessive.

I had to get some info a few weeks on some of the clients and found this.

If you look at page 40 they give the operating cost for their assests in the GoM. If the numbers are representative (they are a fair bit lower than I had previously heard for the region but it could be typical of shelf rather than deepwater) then $50 won’t break the bank for them.

bigjim

I was expecting it to happen within the company, but still a bit of a rollercoaster start to a friday.

Also some kind of big north sea jobs loss announcement coming from some company next week, I overhear.

juanking

Sorry to hear that Jim, it sucks at the moment. I find out my fate 4 weeks today and to be honest don’t know if its better to know quickly or a more drawn out affair. There are jobs out there but not on the north sea. The middle east is still pretty buoyant.

bruneep

The cull continues 350 jobs cut

trail_rat
    Free Member

I would say it is a minority of the UK O&G industry that have to travel to crap places in the world at the drop of a hat, and most are sat in offices scratching their nuts on higher than average salaries.

Raises hand.

Was booked on a 5am flight to turkmenistan toda as of 10 am tuesday , that got canceled at 5pm last night , im heading to the ntvl in the north sea tomorrow to cover a family berevement , while trying to work out how to deploy a difficult job in australia.

I was down to spend christmas last year in turkmenistan , i spent new year in the north sea flying off on the 30th having been phoned on the 29th while on my booked holidays to head off. Then i went to australia for 5 weeks at 3 days notice to build tools and give training/assess competence and deal with clients difficult questions.

Oh and while being on 24 hour ops technical call out.

Not quite driving the number 17 between union square and culter.

kimbers

gonefishin – Member

Then again with the degree and the skills that I’ve built up my salary would almost certainly be “above average” no matter what industry I worked in.

You wanna try working in scientific research

Robz
    Free Member

trail_rat

Not quite driving the number 17 between union square and culter.

The 17 goes from Kincorth to Newhills so it’s just as well you don’t do that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just proves my (non) qualifications as a driver of busses then 🙂

Baring in mind i once meant to get the 201 from the cults hotel to drumoak and ended up on the 19 that only goes to culter…..good walk that.

How ever with careful training i think i could pick it up , less mind numbing than driving a train.

DrJ

most are sat in offices scratching their nuts on higher than average salaries.

I just spent the day dealing with someone who trousers a higher than average salary, a solicitor, and I have to say that if I did my work the way she does hers I’d be out of a job by morning coffee break.

travellinjones
    Free Member

Uh oh…

Subsea 7 to Axe 11 Vessels and 2500 Jobs.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Sad but quite predictable.

There has been a massive new build program of big, high tech, construction vessels in the last 10 -15 years. There was talk of an over supply issue before the oil price dropped.

Subsea 7 have built a lot of new stuff recently.

kcal

hm, not good. realised I was at school with one of the senior Subsea 7 guys..

gobuchul
    Free Member
    yorkycsl
    Free Member

Left the North Sea 1990 & went over seas, mostly far east, Azerbaijan West Africa & South America, being frank I hate the FU*7ing North Sea & all the crap out there, Aberdeen is full of young wanabe’s driving the next best thing & all go running crying when the Oil price drops because they are up to there nuts in debt, get real.

Resigned from BP who I worked for many years, the industry is full of over inflated ego’s people giving them selves titles they aren’t qualified for & think the industry owes them a living & when the oil price drops & all go running scared, the north sea is & has been in decline for many years, eventually cost’s will bring a end to 2&3 and again everyone will cry wolf. 30 years in the industry & can’t wait to say shove it & go ride my bike a hellua lot more. Rant over… home next week & a week in Torridon thank god.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘N Sea oil industry. What's the feeling at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.