Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • mystery liquid leaking from wheel wtf
  • tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

a few weeks ago I had to have a duff freehub replaced under warranty, after I got the wheel back from the shop driving home I noticed a mild chemical sort of smell in the car, thought nothing of it but after I got home and left the wheel in the hall, I came back later to see a large-ish puddle around it

I could see liquid dripping from all the spoke eyelets, and it wouldn’t stop, when I deflated the tube and had a peek inside there was LOADS of it sloshing about in the tire, I cleaned it up the best I could but even to this day the stuff is still making its way out of the spoke eyelets

it’s clear but it’s not water as it doesn’t wipe away quite as easily, but I don’t think it’s oil either, it smells a little bit like meths but it’s so faint it’s hard to tell, also it doesn’t feel cold on your hand or evaporate like alcohol…… basically I’ve got no clue what it is or why the **** it’s even there in the first place

has anyone ever experienced anything like this? any mechanics on here who submerge wheels in liquid before they work on the hub? it made a right mess in my hall and I’m not too happy about it

stevied
    Free Member

Contact the shop who did it?

mintimperial

They probably washed your wheel for you, did you take it in covered in mud?

nemesis
    Free Member

What did the shop say?

njee20
    Free Member

Mintimperial +1 – stuck it in an OzzyJuice parts cleaner or something probabaly.

That said, it shouldn’t drip for any length of time, or hold any quantity of liquid.

muddy9mtb

is it tubeless tyre on there?

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

the wheel was spotless before going in, I wash my wheels all the time and never have liquid leaking out of them, so I already discounted that explanation in my head….. not to say they didn’t wash it again but it seems like a waste of time to me, and doesn’t explain why I STILL have this liquid coming out of it weeks later

not tubeless, bog standard 28mm clincher with tube

cloudnine
    Free Member

Lbs peed in your tyre… You obviously didn’t take chocolate biscuits in with you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably just washing fluid (i.e. water and degreaser), I guess they stood the wheel up and washed the hub with degreaser before re-assembling it, and gave the rim a squirt whilst it’s in there.

If they jetwashed it then the water gets forced in and the rim could well be sealed well enough for it not to drain out.

If it bothers you, take the tyre/tube off, stand it up with the valve hole at the bottom and let it drain out, or take the rim tape off and spin it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Almost certainly parts washer fluid.
    It would seem the mechanic was in a good mood and did you a favour by properly cleaning the wheel. I do that a lot. How so much fluid was still in there I dunno….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘mystery liquid leaking from wheel wtf’ is closed to new replies.