Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mystery Injury – any ideas?
  • LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Got a mystery injury which I can’t figure out using internet searches or referring to my ‘encyclopaedia of sports injuries’… Wondered if anyone else has had it?

Have been to doctor’s a few times and was initially diagnosed with Costochondritis (swelling of cartilage between ribcage and sternum) but now they have given up and waiting for a hospital appt. in 5 weeks which is a long time for an impatient girl wanting some clue and to get back to riding!

Symptoms: Been 6 weeks now, no let-up. pain in one half of front of chest. Hurts when breathing in or out. Hurts to lie on. Very hard to move around in bed. Hurts most when lifting, pushing or pulling such as standing up to pedal and pulling the bars, swimming or rowing I imagine (although not tried rowing). Seems to be a swelling in the area of pain, over the ribs.

First noticed after a very muddy gloopy ride when I was heaving and straining at the bars quite a lot to get through it.

More or less rested since so would have though straightforward muscle strain would be better by now?

Thanks for your ideas and help 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sounds like the costal cartilage to me.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Look up Tietze’s disease/syndrome (which is a costo-chondritis and can last ages on occasions), clinical diagnosis/diagnosis of exclusion though – ie no test for it, diagnosed by good clinical pattern/examination and where appropriate exclusion of other things.

jonathan
    Free Member

I suffered from Tietze’s as a child and it did indeed go on for years – it also took a long time to diagnose with quite a few chest x-rays along the way. Induced by physical and mental stress, but only hurt for a while and then subsided in my case.

Constant pain sounds more like a more traumatic cause, so would hopefully resolve quicker. But definitely needs proper exam and x-rays etc for a proper diagnosis.

Drac

Stop looking up illnesses on the internet for one, you’ll convince yourself you have something that you don’t.

But as you asked, I’ll go with intercostal muscles being torn, cracked ribs/sternum or costal cartlidge damage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mystery Injury – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.