Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mysterious cavity wall insulation
  • spooky_b329

So when I bought our 60’s bungalow, the energy report said it had cavity wall insulation.

There are no signs of this externally and I decided the seller had duped the EPC guy.

We had another EPC done when British Gas did our loft insulation and we went searching for holes, he said definitely no cavity wall insulation.

I’ve just walked in with a cuppa for the guy knocking out a new door, what do I find, rockwool all over the floor! No sign of holes internally or externally. And its well packed under the windowsill so not been blown down the cavity…

How did it get in there?!

Also its strange someone went to the bother of doing the walls when there was hardly any loft insulation, half the loft had nothing at all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fresh render on the ootside ?

mines was obscured by this.

dmorts

Is the bit the door is being knocked into original? Might be a newer extension

spooky_b329

Original wall. However all has become clear.

On the inside, 4 courses down and central under the 1800mm window is a 2″ coredrill hole. They’ve blown the rockwool in, then replaced the core and on then dressed the brick to match the texture and colour. Its damn near invisible!

Nicely packed rockwool as well and right up under the windowsill.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but only up under the window sill right ?—- surely a full pack would have been noticable up there in the loft.

aP
    Free Member

Its terrible when you discover something has been done properly by craftsmen rather than bodged by cowboys isn’t it?

spooky_b329

There is one corner in the loft that has loads of insulation overflowing into the loft, I thought it had been added from the loft to cover the central heating pipes. The rest of the cavity is open to the soffits but not accessible as the roof comes down over the inner brick skin level with the tops of the windows, so for all I know the soffit is full of insulation all the way round!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mysterious cavity wall insulation’ is closed to new replies.