Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Myofascial Release…latest hocus pocus or actually useful?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I am interested only in injury prevention and injury recovery and I am not convinced their is evidence of any benefit….. I have said before I would do it to help me as an aging runner….

So different sport, different problem/objectives.

Shandy
    Free Member

Most coaches or trainers will be giving you some kind of functional movement screen. If they see a problem they will recommend some combination of mobility drills and/or myofascial release to try and break down restrictions and then static stretching to restore range of motion.

As usual with anything training-related, there a loads of different ways people have packaged it all up to sell it, and some of the exercises will draw on things that people have been doing for years.

As usual people will read a couple of studies, misinterpret them and then regurgitate them on here. Stretching or not stretching as part of a warm-up is really a matter of preference. This doesn’t mean stretching or stretching-type exercises aren’t useful for rehabilitation and recovery.

markgraylish
    Free Member

@markgraylish Why don’t you try doing it and see if it works?

On top of existing stretch regime, sports physio, occasional sports massage and now Pilates?

Is she hot?

If this were true, undoubtedly I would…. unfortunately, it isn’t so 😥

markgraylish
    Free Member

I have another sports physio session later today so I’ll ask for her opinion now that the STW experts have weighed in 😀

markgraylish
    Free Member

This doesn’t mean stretching or stretching-type exercises aren’t useful for rehabilitation and recovery.

I’d also add in preventative maintenance as well. Those advocating that stretching is unnecessary may well be fortunate not to have sedentary jobs/lifestyles which can lead to poor posture and tight muscles and all the complications that brings…

slackalice
    Free Member

markgraylish – Member
    Hmm, so it sounds like a combination of some techniques I already use, wrapped up in a new and fancy name…

Well, I’ll give it a try I guess.

😯

Dear Lord! WTAF is going on here??! OP, from my perspective, you’re paying a professional to help you get your body back into shape and then you receive additional value with specific instruction and advice and yet, before taking this professional advice and instruction on board, you need the approval from a load of Northern Neanderthal ego’s whose experience and qualifications are in WAN’s and databases!

Who do you consult before you have breakfast?

Awesome.

avdave2

1538 Australian army recruits

So a study open to only fit young and I would imagine predominately male subjects. Not a lot of use for the general population.

oldnick

MR has been around for f***ing ever.

Put some masking tape on a cat and see the effect of tight fascia…

markgraylish
    Free Member

before taking this professional advice and instruction on board, you need the approval from a load of Northern Neanderthal ego’s whose experience and qualifications are in WAN’s and databases!

I’ll seek free advice from anyone with an opinion before taking advice from a professional with a vested interest in selling me more product I may or may not need.

Dear god, no wonder mis-selling is so prevalent!

BTW:I find breakfast advice on Pinkbike is generally of higher quality than STW

😆

ojom
    Free Member

As an aside, I always find the concept of stretching for exercise amusing when a muscle in use actually contracts.

downhillfast
    Free Member

It’s actually useful.
    Had issues with piriformis muscle, and stretching and MF release with a ball or roller soon improved the situation.
    Always helpful to seek advice ftom a competent professional in such things though.

doggycam
    Free Member

Very useful, foam rollers, balls, the end of my bed, fingers ,thumbs. I’ll use anything to get the pressure applied.

I would say stretching only required when muscles shorten due to lack of use, thru injury or laziness !
    Rollers and balls etc can be used any time you get tight muscles loose.

I put my leg bone through my pelvis, shattering it, requiring a 5-6 hr op to rebuild. 8 months off work, getting physio the whole time. Broke 2 ribs and my collar bone too. Twas coming off my road bike at approx 25mph, hitting a wall.
    Physio introduced me to loosening the knots and trigger points.

Three years later almost back to full fitness, still get the roller out for my legs and hip though.

edlong
    Free Member

Mrs K bought a Massage stick – like a foam roller in rolling pin guise – much easier to use whislt watching telly.

Were the batteries included?

avdave2

I would say stretching only required when muscles shorten due to lack of use, thru injury or laziness !

I find that if I don’t stretch my left hamstring then I can get pain in my left hip either running or cycling. In fact my left leg is a bit rubbish, it’s the one that gave me ITB issues and when I had Plantar Fasciitis it was in my left foot. Come to think of it but I’m a bit like Dudley Moore in the Tarzan sketch!

Ginger
    Free Member

MR is much more than the ball thing. In my experience that is the diy at home bit not what the professional does. It feels nothing like a normal massage either and can be very sore.

I have hyper mobility and had a twisted pelvis successfully realigned through MR sessions. I had to get it privately although the initial problem diagnosis and subsequent monitoring was done by the hospital. It isn’t cheap but worth every penny to me.

You can also find fully peer reviewed studies demonstrating an outcome equivalent to surgical intervention for carpal tunnel syndrome. Not snake oil but make sure they are qualified rather than a yoga teacher who has attended a seminar on it……

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Myofascial Release…latest hocus pocus or actually useful?’ is closed to new replies.