Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mynydd how you go – great route :)
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Did this route yesterday (well the first half or bottom o of the figure of 8)

Mynydd route description

Wow – loved it – long gradual climb to begin with but as I was going to be retracing my steps on that bit I was excited at the prospect of riding it last. Once at the top the views were amazing.

Got to the "Steep technical" descent – they don't joke about that one – proper ass over the back wheel, rocky, switchback section which is awesome to ride.

Then a climb to where I should have turned right, but cheated as I didn't have time to do the loop round the next mountain so nipped onto the singletrack which just went on and on and on for about 3km – at one point I did wonder if it was ever going to end. Real swoopy undulating track.

After this into a forest section for a bit of climbing – unfortunately this is where I split my hub open under the immense force my thighs put upon it trying to climb the steep little section. I then had to walk to the top and found that my wheel was rubbing against the chainstay because of the crack so after putting some zip-ties on the hub to avoid it getting any worse I either walked or freewheeled (with my weight on one side of the bike to keep my wheel straight and stop rubbing the chainstay) back to the car about 4 km most of which was slightly downhill and would have been awesome at speed.

Well worth doing as a route. It took me just under two hours to do that loop and that was with a fair bit of walking and repairing. I hope to get back and do the whole loop again.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Should also mention the Gap Route which I did the day before and was awesome in perfect weather with some good riding mates. two very different but equally enjoyable rides.

nickegg
    Free Member

Was the shortcut at point 5 on the MTB Wales map?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah – at point 5.

In fact looking at the profile of that route on Memory Map I'd be tempted to run the loop I missed out in reverse to climb back up the road and decend through the off road parts – but there may may be a reason why it is done this way round.

nickegg
    Free Member

Great. Another route to add to the long 'to do' list.

nickegg
    Free Member

Just returned from doing the route. It was fantastic! Views were simply stunning so thanks for posting in the first place.

We also cut out the top loop but at the top of Cockit Hill we went down the road and took the first right which leads you around to the singletrack you're supposed to do when doing the top loop.

Great weather too!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Top place to ride – views are nuts! Especially the one down the valley.

I've got to get an emergency passport on wednesday – so while I have 4 hours to kill in Newport I'. Gonna do the route! Hopefully this time without any mechanicals

Winner!

stick_man

Can anyone link me to the Mynnd How you Go route please?

The link in Bushwacked's post has been broken because the MTB-WALES site has been updated.

Thanks

rootes1

used to ride the mynd a lot back in early 90s with the Mids and Longmynd Cycles.

Mids used to do a good sunday ride:

Start Brookland Pub Car Park, Shrewsbury > Road to Condover > Over Lawley > Over Caer Caradoc > into Church Stretton > Food at Burway Cafe > Over Mynd > Over Stiperstones > Food at Stiperstone Pub Shop (out of date snacks) > Play on Lead Slag > back to Shrewsbury

they were the days..

must get back up to shrewsbury an do that ride again

Si

ps some mynd routes here:

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LongMyndLong.html

stick_man

Thanks rootes1 but in this case the Mynnd is close to Crickhowell in South Wales, not the Long Mynd in Shropshire. Thanks anyway.

rootes1

Thanks rootes1 but in this case the Mynnd is close to Crickhowell in South Wales, not the Long Mynd in Shropshire. Thanks anyway.

oops! well looks like we should do a swap, not been to Mynnd in SW

pyekid
    Free Member

Route

This is the one i've done in the past.

It is very good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mynydd how you go – great route :)’ is closed to new replies.