Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • myers briggs test- team building at work
  • Cougar

to test based on our own self view is totally flawed.

Yeah, I’ve always found these things difficult (maybe they should add that as a question…) because a lot of the time my answer would be borderline or situation-dependent. I’d, say, think first and then act if I was starting a software development project, but perhaps act first and think later if the building was on fire.

I also find it quite tricky to be objective when analysing myself, which I suspect is true for most people.

Cougar

you need to have a mechanism for corroborating how honest people have been.

asking the same question a number of different ways to check consistency of response

See, I’d be inconsistent here. I’ve just done a noddy test online and similar questions worded differently solicited different answers, this is the context thing I was on about.

For instance, “You spend your leisure time actively socializing
    with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc.” – yes, I do. “Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party” – yes, I do. Contradictory? Dishonest?

Cougar

The test I just tried was here, incidentally. According to that I’m INTP, which (after reading on here what that means) is different to what I’d have said if asked cold; I’d have said ISTP, but I kinda tick both sets of N/S definitions to an extent.

MSP

I started that test, but quickly got sick of the stupidity of the questions.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s not about honesty so much as it’s about how reliable is the data you’ve generated.

Some people are impervious to such tests bceause they know them professionally and can anticipate their responses, others struggle with their answers, which sometimes does give an insight into their personality – for example they are indecisive!

The example you give is a good one but not one that is necessarily contradictory or dishonest.

For example, if these two questions were trying to get at whether you’re introverted or extroverted, then if there were the only two questions on that subject and you answered positively for both, then the questionnaire might conclude that you were niether extroverted nor introvereted but actually some where in the middle.

Don’t forget that the results of these things are never binary; you’re never either 100% introverted or 100% extroverted. They score on a scale, relative to a sample group. If there were ten questions measuring this scale say, and you answerwed positively to 7 of them and negatively to three of them, then we might conclude you had a stonger preference for extroversion than introversion, but that still wouldn’t make you 100% extroverted.

Does that makes sense?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I started that test, but quickly got sick of the stupidity of the questions.

Any of the ones you can find for free will be worthless crap. That’s why they’re free. The good ones have to be paid for.

MSP

I have been asked to do them at job interviews as well, and found the questions pretty much of the same level.

geetee1972
    Free Member

MSP it sounds like you’re demonstrating a clear preference for meaningful data; are you an engineer of some form, either software or mechanical etc?

That might explain why you feel negatively towards something that you can’t see the reasoning or mechanism behind. It’s a classic ‘sensor/thinker’ style to hark back to MBTI!

MSP

Its questions like this-

You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed
    YES NO

If a decision can be changed or not has nothing to do with it being wrong, right or “the best”. Its a flawed question and these tests are filled with them.

If you can’t see the reasoning, it might explain why you feel so positive towards something so fundamentally flawed.

Cougar

Who wouldn’t have a preference for meaningful data? Is there a demographic which says “yes, I’d prefer meaningless data, thanks”?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It doesn’t say what you can/can’t do, its a PREFERANCE, which is why you can score down the middle.

On the day I did the test iw as an ENTP, which is correct (IMO). But as you said above, its possible to have a preferance for partying as well as reading books quietly which could be seen as I or E.

Being one or the other isn’t right or wrong, but it is good to understand what your preferances are and why that might really peeve others off.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If a decision can be changed or not has nothing to do with it being wrong, right or “the best”.

Well then it’s really very simple. Your answer is ‘No’, the best decision for you is defined as being something other than the statement given here, so it’s not remotely flawed, it just doesn’t describe your view of the world.

Cougar

Any of the ones you can find for free will be worthless crap.

To be fair, I’m largely of the opinion that it’s all worthless crap, free or otherwise. I only did it out of curiousity to see if it came up with anything resembling close. It’s not a great leap of testing to go “do you like parties? You’re probably outgoing then.” It’s like the “are you good in bed” questionnaires you get in intellectually devoid glossies like Heat and Zoo.

Cougar

(… I imagine, obviously)

MSP

Try reading the question again geetee1972, instead of trying to bend it to fit your own view.
    Unfortunately you have clearly bought into this, and even more unfortunately I fear you are in a position to force your beliefs onto others.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t have a preference for meaningful data? Is there a demographic which says “yes, I’d prefer meaningless data, thanks”?

Some personality types are comfortable with data that gives rise to ambiguity or gaps. For example, engineers tend to be uncomfortable with personality tests because the data is not 100% perfect and there can be levels of ambiguity and nuance that cannot be captured or reflected in the data.

If you can’t measure and quantify the ‘noise’ then they tend to get flustered. On the other hand, certain personality types are OK with this.

MSP

Engineers are quite happy with ambiguity, but that’s how they label it. They tend not to pretend its a new science.

gonefishin
    Free Member

For example, engineers tend to be uncomfortable with personality tests because the data is not 100% perfect

Garbage. As an engineer I work with datasets that are far, far less than 100% accurate. What is laughable about your defense of this sort of testing that your response to criticism seems to be along the lines of “well you would say that as you are obviously a type XXXX personallity” rather than addressing the valid criticisms that are being made.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I’ve done a number of these and always come out as INTJ – mastermind apparently 😉 . Not many of us around – 1 to 4%.

Spongebob
    Free Member

These tests may give some indication of strengths and weaknesses, but I would say they are as useful as a chocolate fireguard for properly judging a person’s character and in a work place context! They should be used in private by individuals, who want to learn a little bit more about themselves, almost as light entertainment.

The results can be rather ambiguous, open to erroneous interpretation and overall are really rather crude. I can’t believe companies take them seriously!

Each scenario and how you respond to it in real life would vary, depending on a raft of variables, including how the said individual was feeling at the time.

The real danger is that some daft HR person/manager might take it too seriously and prejudice the future of the person who has taken the test.

One test I did described how people have “a mask”. I.e. to what degree are they are allegedly putting on an act. Well, tell me how anyone can prove either way if someone is a political play actor? It’s nonsense! What a test like this does do is destroy trust. Stupid, given that the test is crude and unsafe!

One poster on here likened these to horoscopes. Whilst not quite so crass, I don’t think they are a great deal different.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What is laughable about your defense of this sort of testing that your response to criticism seems to be along the lines of “well you would say that as you are obviously a type XXXX personallity” rather than addressing the valid criticisms that are being made.

Yep you have a point. I apologise.

What specifically is the criticism?

MSP

The criticism is that they are trying to apply simplicity and bureaucracy to complex ideas. It is akin to making judgements on bio diversity by driving your car down the motorway and taking a glance at the splats on your windscreen.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m an INTJ apparently.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The criticism is that they are trying to apply simplicity and bureaucracy to complex ideas.

MSP – OK that’s an interesting argument. Tell me what you mean by the above statement; where is the simplicity (we can leave the bureaucracy to one side for the time being).

Be assured that I know something about this subject and I’m genuinely interested in what you’re saying.

Stainypants

I’m an ENFP and I’ve never looked up what that transcribed to and to be honest it does pretty much describe me. It could be a coincidence.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m an ENFP and I’ve never looked up what that transcribed t

In real world terms it means you’re about as nice a person to be with as one could possibly hope for.

Outgoing, sensitive to peoples’ feelings, you don’t tend to get hung up on details and you don’t tend to get in a flap about deadlines.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We did one recently MBDI. It was a fun day, better than what I was working on. But a pointless exercise because the data will not be used to any effect. I already knew I was highly creative and not interested in rules. The most interesting result is that I get emotionally colder when stressed which i had not realised but is true.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘myers briggs test- team building at work’ is closed to new replies.