• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My wheels out of whack
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I noticed the front wheel on my crosser is at an angle.
    No matter how you look at it, it doesn’t line up. It’s quite a bit out as well. From the tyres centre to the inside of the fork measures 32mm one side and 26mm the other.
    I guess it’s either the fork or drop outs. Forks are carbon so no bendy.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Usually something not quite right at the dropouts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try it the other way round and try another wheel – that should help narrow down the cause

oldgit
    Free Member

Tried the wheel in my road bike and it’s the same, it’s not buckled so I assume it’s the axle?

R.lepecha

Not dished centre.
    Get it trued

DaddyCool
    Free Member

try counting the threads on each side of the axle, they should be about the same (to within about 1 thread). If thats the same, what R.lepecha said!

oldgit
    Free Member

These Mavics are flippin fragile aren’t they. They need more care and attention than a new born. This is without doubt the last ever set of factories.
    Now coz I can’t get my head round this. If you look head on at the bike the front wheel tilts to one side at an angle, like a capitol ‘N’. Imagine the side are the forks and the middle bit is the wheel? if you rotate it stays in the same position.
    I’ve also got a 100K to do Sunday and all my other wheels are away getting their winter rebuild. Will I die.

R.lepecha

Cant be an axle problem then, or very unlikely. Its a fork issue.

Sure it will be fine.

oldgit
    Free Member

Did 120 miles Sunday and lived, but aren’t factory wheels pants. In less than one year I’ve gone through three rims, a set of bearings, counless spokes, trueing and now this.
    I’m going back to 36/36 spokes on standard rims on Shimano.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got Campagnolo factory wheels that I’ve used since 1998, although I don’t think the rims have got much life left in them any more… they’ve been great – done lots and lots of miles with never a problem and they’re still true after at least 15,000 miles.
    I’ve never fancied mavic wheelsets as I’ve heard so many stories about their unreliability and the inability to get decently priced spares, if at all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My wheels out of whack’ is closed to new replies.