Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Jesus that was loud
  • onandon
    Free Member

ears are still ringing 3o mins later.
    Two of my tubeless road tyres popped at 100psi

They were pro4 road tryers on stans alpha rims. They went up really easily too 🙂

The first one went while I was still holding it – I think I may have done a little poop

Back to tubes for the moment I think 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can’t ‘gheto’ road wheels, the kevlar bead isn’t strong enough to hold them on the rim without the tube holding them into the bead hook. Road tubeless tyres have a carbon fibre bead.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

You do have them taped up right?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Aaaaaahhh, yes… They do go off somewhat don’t they.

I had a tub go a couple of weeks ago too whilst sticking my “summer” wheels on my Roadie.

Mind, the tub did have a tiny tear in it.. 😯

onandon
    Free Member

The tyres and rims are tubeless so no ghetto needed. It should have all gone together – alas not

I’m using the factory installed tape which is nice and neat. Not funny edges so should be ok to run with.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I had a road tyre unseat itself at around 100psi in my girlfriends kitchen, early one Sunday morning. Yes, it’s a helluva bang!

ashfanman
    Free Member

I once had a tubed MTB tyre burst in my hand and almost shat my pants – and that was only 32psi! I can only imagine what it would be like at 100psi! 😯

myheadsashed

Never leave road wheels leant against a radiator especially when they start at 100psi……shell shock 😯

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’ve done the same, holding the wheel in my hand and the whole thing blew at 100psi+. Like a flipping gun, ears ringing for ages and I was scared to go near the bike with a pump for a few days afterwards. 😆

Shred
    Free Member

I didn’t know Michelin did tubeless road tyres. Thought it was only Hutchinson and bontrager that do them.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Yup done that before in the same office as my colleague on a important works phone call. OOOps!

gab344
    Free Member

I didn’t know Michelin actually did TUBELESS ready pro 4’s I use Hutchinson tubeless fusions on my roadbike, but am always looking for alternative proper road tubeless tyres. Got a link where you got ’em from please o.p?

scaredypants

haha – I played spaff roulette today with 2 ghetto (yeah bwoy 🙄 ) tyres on flow rims. That “snap” onto the seat is great, and the anticipation is almost, … 😳

I am road tubeless curious as well

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Michelin don’t do tubeless road tyres. No wonder they blew, Rodney.

onandon
    Free Member

Shred, gab.
    The pro 4 is classed as tubeless according the instructions/ literature that comes with them.

Shred
    Free Member

I run the Hutchinson fusion 3 s at the moment. Next time I need tyres, ill try the bontrager tubeless. You can find them online at Evans.

dan77
    Free Member

I heard a tyre blow on C5 galaxy when i was working at Kandahar airfield in Afghanistan, it was that loud everyone hit the deck thinking we were under attack 😥 when we realised what it was everyone casually got up and walked away!

Shred
    Free Member

On and on, do you have a link to them as I am always looking at options for road tubeless.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Did you do this, before hitting 100psi?

5. Inflate the tire to 58 psi to make sure the beads snap up onto the bead seat area of the rim. Check to make sure the tire is uniformly seated by spinning the wheel / tire and studying the area just above the rim flange and tire bead area.

simondbarnes

The pro 4 is classed as tubeless according the instructions/ literature that comes with them.

You’d have thought they’d mention it on their website but there’s nothing at all relating to tubeless road tyres, only mtb. Michelin have been playing around with tubeless road tyres since about 2000 but AFAIK have never released a commercial product.

Militant_biker

When I used to build bikes in bulk, there was a spate of Cannondale road bikes (perhaps an R500) that about 1/3 would blow a tyre upon inflation – normally about 90 psi. There was a good russian roulette vibe going on when we had to build one of them, knowing there was a good chance of one going… 😆

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The Bonty R3 tubeless tyres are good – lighter and better IMO than the Hutchinsons (and I’ve tried all three).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what does it say?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had a Brompton tyre explode (ripped through the tube and the sidewall) in the middle of the night. To say it woke Mrs Feet and myself up ‘abruptly’ would be an understatement. I legged it downstairs expecting to find a gunman in the house!

Took ages to work out what it was

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve done it a couple of times & my ears are still ringing…. I blew my tubeless tyre off the rim when I was trying to set it up & get it centred at about 60psi – it had stans in & I managed to splurge myself & the kitchen……..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Jesus that was loud’ is closed to new replies.