Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My tree has fell in the wind, insurance question
  • shadowrider
    Free Member

One of the trees in my garden has blew down in the wind, and has destroyed next doors swing, slide and playhouse. It’s made a bit of a mess, anybody know if house insurance covers gardens as well. My insurers are not open until tomorrow and the policy details are a bit vague about the garden.

Cougar

Depends on the policy I expect, but I’d expect it to. Have you not got any documentation you could read to put your mind at rest?

shadowrider
    Free Member

The policy doesn’t really say anything about the garden, I know that the lady next door paid about 2 grand for the things that have been destroyed, and it’s a bill I could do without really

Cougar

If it was a while ago, and she’s replaced it all under her own steam and then sent you a bill, I suspect she’s going to be disappointed. Why didn’t you / she claim on your / her insurance at the time?

transapp
    Free Member

I assume it was in the wind today and the cost was for the original outlay.
    I’d be very surprised if the insurance didn’t cover it.

shadowrider
    Free Member

It’s happened in today’s wind, and the couple of grand is her initial outlay, that’s without the cost of the fence that’s been flattened as well

Cougar

Ah, yeah, I think you’re right, I misunderstood the post.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Why doesn’t she claim on her insurance?

hels
    Free Member

Your neighbour sounds like a right chancer btw. £2k for kiddies playground kit ? Is it carbon fibre or gold plated, or did Damien Hirst design it ?

project
    Free Member

Just get some mates round when it goes dark and re erect the tree, and pretend nothing happened and it must have been vandals who broke the swing etc.

Muke
    Free Member

Don’t worry mcmoonter will be round soon, in his new landy, to chop it up for you 😉

project
    Free Member

http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/I_Laws.htm

Look under problems with trees,

It also looks as if youre responsible for damage.

Just hope she doesnt claim for whiplash.

TiRed

If the one at the end of our garden blows down I’m expecting the insurance to pay out. Problem is, it will blow onto a railway line, and there are limits to liability 😯 . And it has “Squirrel damage”…

swamp_boy

If it’s damaged a neighbour’s property it’s a third party claim, so its under Occupiers Liability. In most cases that’s covered by the contents policy, not the buildings one.

Whether or not they pay might also depend on whether the tree had a defect that made it inherently weak and liable to fall or it was the sheer strength of the wind that did it. Most insurers aren’t too strict with ordinary householders on that one, they don’t expect you to be a tree expert who might have been able to foresee and prevent it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My tree has fell in the wind, insurance question’ is closed to new replies.