Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • My Super September (contains violence).
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Went out for a ride on September 1st and managed to have a violent interface between the ground and my head. Broke my back. Crushed/fractured vertibrae 5, 6 & 7.

The exact location was turning south from the Leith Hill tower towards the woods/cutting left on to a single track and trying to take the v-shaped bomb hole at speed. The bike stopped at the bottom and I did a classic “Superman” head first into the opposite bank.

Luckily, I was with some of the “Muddy Moles” who took care of me and organised the rescue.

Had to wait for 11 days for a free bed at the operation hospital. Stayed bed-bound for three weeks and noticed that my legs had turned into sticks.

I’ve now got a metal brace in my back and may be getting a little bit too used to codeine and paracetamol.

Hopefully, back in the saddle before November.

Maybe I ought to slow down a bit now I’ve got a buss pass and free prescriptions?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Unlucky dude, take it easy on yourself for a bit and then get on it!

nosedive
    Free Member

wow. healing vibes pal. dont slow down though, that will just cause a different type of crash

Jamie
    Free Member

Were you wearing a helmet?

shifter
    Free Member

Ouch – GWS! November sounds keen, no shame in waiting ’til spring.

baby
    Free Member

Thank god you’ve retained a sense of optimism after all that.

RustySpanner

What are you lot all doing to yourselves?

Woppit, hope you heal well and fast.
    Would you like someone to say a little prayer? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Get well soon as that sounds nasty.

RS beat me to the obvious gag

crikey
    Free Member

Are you still as good looking?

surfer
    Free Member

Bloody hell Woppit 😯

Get well soon 😀

eskay

Sorry to hear about your fall, hope the recovery goes well.

I am just coming back from an illness that struck me down and put me in hospital. Like you, my legs seemed to shrink quite drastically!

The strength you lose is frightening (I could barely walk when i got home) but it comes back quite quickly. It has been a couple of months now for me and i am doing a reasonable amount of riding, it is the aerobic fitness that is taking a while to come back.

You need to listen to your body and don’t over do it.

All the best.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Jesus Woppit, despite considering you to be “a bit of an arse” that can’t be much fun, heal quick and enjoy the HiFi, sounds like you’ve just earned yourself a new set of interconnects?

gary

Ouch. Take it easy and get well soon!

samuri
    Free Member

That’s terrible news. Glad you’re recovering (albeit slowly).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just been to my local church and took this photo as I lit a candle for Woppit.

#prayforWoppit

😉

hora
    Free Member

I had a fall in Holmbury – cheeky off the Yoghurt pots that resulted in staying at Guilford hospital years ago.

Healing vibes dude

singletrackmind

Blimey Woppit. Know the bombhole , from the Cafe fork left off the main drag and it comes up after 50m on your left. Hell of a rush dropping into it.
    Bet that smarted when you decellerated to zero in a too small timeframe.
    Sounds like you are keeping your chin up . Forget November , get a turbo trainer to keep the legs going round and aim for March.
    Did you get a free trip in a helikopter?

hora
    Free Member

Hang on turning towards Coldharbour direction? Immediate left from tower (say 10m’s) past wooden low border things- steepish rollin where its over roots at top and two roll in choices to sudden bank up?

Sandwich

You’ll not be joining the Endomondo challenges then?

Get well soon. (Tramadol, if you can stand it FTW).

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Keep the faith dude. I’m coming out of my own year and a half recovery. I had my 7th op today actually. In my early days I took some genuine inspiration from Chris Akriggs videos about his accident and recovery. Have you seen them?

zippykona

Maybe back off the biking and reform what you can of the band?

kimbers

shit the bed! thats terrible

heal up fast and enjoy the painkillers while you can

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Hang on turning towards Coldharbour direction? Immediate left from tower (say 10m’s) past wooden low border things- steepish rollin where its over roots at top and two roll in choices to sudden bank up?

That’s the bugger.

wwaswas

Sounds like it came close to being a lot worse.

Hope you make a full recovery.

camo16
    Free Member

Wow, that’s really put my sore toe into perspective. 😯

Hope all heals well and your back in your Godless saddle soon, Mr. W.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hope you’re still making good progress Woppit 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Get well soon Mr W – only just seen this. Blimey sounds like “personal hygene” route ie, the bombhole with two lines (harder and steeper on left). Took a series of coaching for me to do them by Day 2.

Good luck for November!

seavers
    Free Member

OOOF, that sounds very nasty. Really hope you are back on your bike soon. Until then enjoy the codeine haze and the sponge baths.

After a back injury I watched my right leg turn into a stick. At least you won’t look wonky!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ouch! Hal quickly, but you haven’t said how the bike is?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Was the fall an act of god?
    Hope you heal quickly

slackalice
    Free Member

Yikes, only just seen this and really sorry to hear your news. Your attitude is admirable, keep positive, trust in the process and your healing will go perfectly.

Another reminder to be continually grateful for what we have.

hora
    Free Member

Get well soon Mr Woppit and in the interest of longevity on the bike STAY AWAY FROM SILLY STUFF FROM NOW ON – GROW UP! :mrgreen:

nbt

*gulp*

Close call. Glad you made it through, hope yur receovery is speedy

tonyg2003

Hi Mr Woppit. My fellow moles said that you were just super unlucky. When you went OTB you hit an upslope which made the superman much more serious. It’s a reminder that MTB is occasionally dangerous (although crossing the road is too). Glad your on the road (singletrack?) to recovery.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

That sounds bad …. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Best wishes

Cougar

Ouch.

Get well soon.

emsz
    Free Member

Sounds painful hope you get better soon

*kisses n hugs*

yunki
    Free Member

WOW! Heavy stuff.. Although it could have been worse, be thankful that someone was watching over you..

Get Well Soon old fella.. 🙂

Bunnyhop

Goodness Mr. whoppit – I hope you mend very quickly and get back on your bike before the end of the year.

This has made me think how lucky I am just having a broken arm atm.

Pigface
    Free Member

Its a miracle you survived, mend soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘My Super September (contains violence).’ is closed to new replies.