• This topic has 74 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • My stolen bike on Ebay
  • Basil

My bike stolen in July.Insurance has paid out. Now for sale on Ebay.
    Do something? Do nothing?

gingerss
    Free Member

Why on earth would you do nothing?

nmdbase
    Free Member

link

donsimon
    Free Member

Tell the insurance company that the bike they have paid out on has appeared.
    Tell Ebay just to cover youself.
    Tell plod, you never know.
    NO LINK, softly, softly, catchy monkey.

Junkyard
    Free Member

do something
    contact one of the plod on here for advice???

paulo6624
    Free Member

I’d do something for sure, at least try and find out how the guy came accross it, ask him how long he’s had it etc
    I’d be happy to ask him a couple of questions if you feel uncomfortable doing it. It would be good if some of these bike thieves were caught out.

Basil

Checked his feedback. He has sold a random selection of stuff, not been selling lots of bikes.
    Bikes still got my brand new XT Spd’s on.
    Anger growing.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

is it in the your area? if you ask at the local police station they may send a plain clothes officer with you to view it. once you confirm it is yours. they should take the bike back and arrest the offender.

gingerss
    Free Member

Just think about how hard you worked, or how many hours you did to buy that bike. Then this guy decides he deserves it more than you and is now making a quick few quid at your expense.

I’m sure there’s some good advice on previous posts about how to deal with this exact situation. I guess the outcome you want is for him to get nicked…?

ianpinder
    Free Member

chances are if you found it on ebay, go with the place and get it back, the insurance company probably won’t bother trying to get the pay out back, or take the stolen bike back, so you are quids in.

nmdbase
    Free Member

As the insurance have paid out it’s theirs isn’t it?

neninja
    Free Member

If collection is an option bid enough that no-one can outbid you. Two choices either turn up to collect with some big mates or tell the police and meet them at the address.

yunki
    Free Member

here’s a true story rather than just rumour and speculation:

I spotted a mates nicked bike on ebay.. I called him, he called the police, and the police seized the bike and nicked the fella that very afternoon..
    he was only moving it on so they let him walk but he had some other parts which they also seized and they recovered parts that had already been sold..

after a lengthy process and investigation my buddy got most of his bike back..
    so although you may hear some made up stories about how little the police care about bike theft, there are some success stories too..

flow
    Free Member

If collection is an option bid enough that no-one can outbid you. Two choices either turn up to collect with some big mates or tell the police and meet them at the address.

Do that

ianpinder
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member
    As the insurance have paid out it’s theirs isn’t it?

Yes, however they very rarely bother to collect the bike back. I know two people who have been in a similar situation and both have kept theirs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Take some mates and give him a right going over. Theres a video below for inspiration.

Make sure you get him to wear a brighty coloured cycling helmet around his neck for added comedy value.

Be sure to film it to, and then post it up on here. I’m sure all cyclists would love to see a bike thief getting a good seeing to.

[video]http://vimeo.com/6475675[/video]

Clover

Contact police – some Singletrack test bikes were nicked and ended up on Ebay – the police were very helpful and assisted with the ‘buyer collects’ moment.

Every little thing that makes nicking bikes less attractive is a good thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

after a lengthy process and investigation my buddy got most of his bike back..
    so although you may hear some made up stories about how little the police care[/u] about bike theft, there are some success stories too..

Why presume that they are made up ?

When my bike was nicked from my locked garage last year, the police did nothing useful at all despite the fact that a very good quality CCTV image of the thief was available to them. They didn’t even come to look at it for 8 days.

When they traced the guy 4 weeks later the bike was long gone.

Even though he was recognised instantly as a known burglar by the officer who eventually came to look at the footage.

Basil

Just telephoned the local police station number, No answer!!

cyclebiker

My brother had his bike picked and reported it stolen the insurance paid out and then about a month later it too appeared on ebay. so he informed the cops they got involved they seized the bike (and four others) the bloke got a fine and community service, after around two months he gother his bike back and the insurance did not care that they had already paid out. tell the cops and do not go round with the heaviest as if they are tracking this guy and you buy the bike you are handling stolen goods and risk getting done yourself.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I had my bike stolen from the car in Edinburgh and it was sold on ebay to someone on here. I went on a group ride and noticed a bike that looked very much like my stolen one in the pack about 10 months after it went missing. After inspection,the titanium bottle bolts were still in place and once i found out the frame number,it matched up and i arranged to meet up to get my frame back. To cut a long story short.. we sussed out where the guy that sold the bike on Ebay worked.The police in Edinburgh were told where he worked and we passed his name etc along with his phone number over to the police to take over from there. (sanny,who was on the group ride,even rang the guys place of work to see if he was still working there, got the receptionist who was about to transfer the call..and he had to hang up!) This confirmed he still worked there.. but the police showed no interest in pulling a finger out and asking where HE got the bike from in the first place.

Its a waste of police time in the big city. I would move on after reporting it and dont waste your time chasing it although it would definitely be worth reporting it as these thieves need stopped.

As before.. I have pointed out that you all need to ask for proof of purchase when buying 2nd hand off the classifieds if you arent sure where it came from in the first place. You dont have to but it sure takes the piss (like the OP has found out) when you find out the reality of where and how it ends up.Especially when it leaves you completely out of pocket.

yunki
    Free Member

sorry Neal.. I was being a bit of a nob..

Basil

Just spoken to local police,seem keen on taking action,especially as there is no doubt the bike is my stolen bike.
    I have bought bikes 2nd hand before but I have always gained proof of original purchase.
    When the theft orginally happened the value was more than £3000. We got no more action than a phone call and a crime number.

hora
    Free Member

Basil don’t post a link until after a result just incase someone emails abuse or a lot of questions/any suspicion etc to the tealeaf. As said softly softly. Innocent questions from you- bid to win etc. Don’t tell ebay as they might pull auction and the bike may then be thrown in a canal/disapear forever.

Just the Police IMO

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

please let us know how it goes!

hora
    Free Member

martinxyz. At the very least why didn’t you ask to speak to the guys boss and enlighten him?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Glad the police seem keen to help Basil. One of my stolen bikes was spotted by someone on here in the cash converters in town and through that very nice guy and the police they got it back for me. I rang the insurers (who had already paid out) as legally it was theirs, but as it needed some minor repairs and a new front wheel, they just let me keep it! Result! I hope you have similar success – after all, you can never have too many bikes! 😀

albino
    Free Member

I had exactly the same situation about a year ago. I got a mate to contact the seller through Ebay to get some beter pictures so that I could be 100% it was mine. Once I was sure, I contacted the police and gave them the frame number etc. They recovered the bike, although it was located about 100 miles away.
    Initially the insurance company, (M&S) said that if I wanted to keep the bike I’d have to return the full payout sum. Seeing as it was a “new for old policy” there was no way that was going to happen as I’d already splashed out on an Intense Tracer.
    I told the Insurance co. where it was to enable them to collect it but they never did. I contacted them a couple of weeks later and they said I could keep it if I collected myself.
    Quids in…..until the next renewal quote came through, but that’s another story.
    Good luck with the recovery!

Basil

Had the replacement and had the renewal!!
    Would like to see a thief caught and find out how my bike is for sale 250 miles away?

Hooter
    Free Member

I believe STWer Madbillmacbill had the same ebay situation. It worked out for him almost the same as what Albino is saying, so he ended up with a knackered old Giant and a nice new Orange.

hora
    Free Member

Could have been traded against a drug debt etc. Could have been someone who is ‘mobile as a lifestyle’ that’s then sold it on themselves to a contact (wholesaled), could literally have been sold on which you didn’t notice and the new owner is two/three times removed etc etc.

Thieves aren’t all stupid. There will also be people frequenting here for info, tips etc who ride who won’t blink about buying a nicked bike then selling it on.

hora
    Free Member

Ps. The seller could be down the road from you but list elsewhere to avoid suspicion with the idea to post the bike out? Don’t forget thieves do know how to use a post office if they are good at fencing stolen goods effectively

o96192083
    Free Member

why did no one post this?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cube-on-ebay

see half way down for a guaranteed smile.

need I say more? Call the five-oh right away!

gran0210

I am a police officer and yes they should follow it up. If it is for sale in another force area it slows things down a bit as they will have to get the other force to do the necessary. The local cops should take a statement from you listing how you know its yours as just saying the make and model is clearly not enough. Scratches, parts fitted, frame number etc, things that make it unique to you to identify it as yours. You sound positive its your looking at a picture you just need to list what makes it so clear in a statement. If there is enough to prove the identity of the bike steps should be taken to collar the person unlawfully in posession of it and lock em up. If that goes to plan they can search their house and anywhere else occupied or controlled by them for similar items. Very often insufficient to prove the theft but handling stolen goods might work. There are certain defences but depends how he came by it.
    Not sure how the insurance company fits in either way if it is stolen the only difference is they are the complainant/owner and you are a witness instead. If you have been paid out think you may get the option to buy it from the ins company? Hope that helps.

nasher
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking if you got you bike stolen it goes like this…

1. Owner reports bike as stolen – police not interested, too much hassle so just give you a crime number.

2. Owner puts up posts in forums etc.. effectively the MTB community works as detectives.

3. Owner contacts police with info and police take action!

I guess its the same with cars or any stolen property…its just a case of when it gets spotted by someone..

2bit

My nicked bike appeared on eBay (spotted by the STW compound eyes) months after it was nicked.
    eBay wouldn’t do anything about it as there was no 100% way to prove it was stolen & mine.

Local police (Hammersmith, London) were informed & initially reccomended just buying it back!? After winning the bike & getting the sellers mobile no., I passed it Onto the police for them to arrange the meeting. The number popped up in their DB referenced to several other crimes, some violent, all for some form of theft.

Police had a good idea who he was & busted his door down. He had mine along with several other bikes.
    I got my bike back thanks to STW & the local police & I’m very glad I didnt go round with mates & bombers.

kimbers

call the po pos on his ass

dont be surprised if they do sweet fa though
    couldnt be arsed to go after the guy ebaying my cammera, even tho i had proof of purchase, serial no. etc

I_Ache
    Free Member

Win the bike arrange to meet and take a pair of these to own him with.

DSC_0014 by i_ache, on Flickr

I have some in the shed if it is anywhere Birmingham.

hora
    Free Member

couldnt be arsed to go after the guy ebaying my cammera, even tho i had proof of purchase, serial no. etc

but now you know you let someone get away with taking something from you. Even if insurance pays out you’ve got to tick a box on subsequent renewals for claims. Plus do you really want someone to be buying his spliffs and Stella with his bird Chantelle to get jiggy on thanks to your largesse 8)

flow
    Free Member

Win the bike arrange to meet and take a pair of these to own him with.

About all they are good for 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘My stolen bike on Ebay’ is closed to new replies.