Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My son's about to start driving … tell me about insurance & car options please
  • Aus
    Free Member

Son’s about to start driving so we’ve just started looking at options for insurance. We have a big old estate that’s automatic so between myself, Mrs A and son, we’re thinking of getting a small Polo as a shared runaround. Something like a VW Polo, 1.2, year 2000. Is this a good option as cheapish to buy and we think cheapish to insure, and fairly safe/reliable? (Also could squeeze the 2 dogs in too).

I’ve been the main driver/insurance in my name (with full NCD) so my wife was last insured as a main driver 4 years ago so we think her NCD will have expired. Son is provisional now but hoping to pass promptly. We’ll probably all use the car fairly equally with c.4K miles per year (or at least that’s the plan!).

Any good options in terms of insurance – and who to have as the named owner?

Ta

bruneep

Just don’t get caught fronting the insurance

alpin
    Free Member

my cousin’s fella has just passed his test. got himself a corsa on tick and insurance was only ~500 quid.

that’s less than i was paying 8 years ago at the age of 25 with 7 years driving experience.

dunno who with, mind, but i was surprised it was so cheap. i think he is 20/21

jakd95
    Free Member

I found it was cheaper to have insurance in my name with my parents as named drivers, rather than the other way round when I had just passed my test.

br
    Free Member

Don’t do anything until he passes his test.

Done this with my 3 sons, last one has his test in May.

Cost of insurance is pretty much linked to where you live, ie insurance for a base Fiesta for my youngest living in rural Scotland is £1000, whereas the eldest pays more than this for his 3rd year in West Yorkshire (and his was nearer £2000 when he just passed).

Adding a named (older) driver does reduce costs.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all. br – how does that work re him learning to drive, some sort of ‘learner insurance’? And then once he passes, he becomes the primary driver with myself/my wife as named drivers?

houndlegs
    Free Member

What about looking at having one of those black box things fitted? They bring the insurance down don’t they?

bruneep
    petrieboy

Also do assume that small = cheap to insure. Anything popular and desirable to young drivers (polo, corsa, fiesta etc) will be involved in loads of accidents and so will be expensive to insure. Do a few test quotes for cars your average teenager wouldn’t be seen dead in and you might see lower prices. Stuff like big Volvo’s, Avensis, vectra etc.

Sandwich

My advice is to get him insured in his own name now, even as a learner. Sandwich Jr was insured with us as named drivers on his mum’s old Micra. When he failed his first test the extra month as an insured learner knocked about £200 off the premium for when he went solo. This was all on Admirals multi-car policy, we had 3 separate policies all discounted because they were all at the same address.
    Hi nibs is still on a multi-car with us despite living and working in Bristol. (There was a premium uplift for the change to inner city parking and driving).

chestrockwell

Mate has just swapped his sons saxo for a c1/aygo/10?, can’t remember which version. Cheapest car he could find to insure and cheap to buy.

Scapegoat

Insure him as a learner in his own name with parent as named. Check Flux direct, and go comp. As soon as he passes it’ll be voided and part refunded. Then go for black box with someone like ingenie. Again, in his name, comp. My twins have been down this route. A two year old car will be cheaper to insure than a banger. Example, both on as provisional on a fiesta zetec, w reg, was about 750 quid. Lad passed, got an x reg Jimmy with Tesco black box, two grand for 10000 miles, and could earn more insured miles. Just been quoted half that for renewal.

db

For all 3 of my kids I brought a small run around (1st was a 106, then a Punto and last a Panda). I brought it in my name and insured for while they were learning. Once they passed for the 1st year I said they WERE the main driver (i.e. not fronting) but left car/insurance in my name. After 1st year driving I ‘sold’ them the car and they insured in their name and started to build ncb. (I don’t care about my NCB as the company insures my car.)
    For the last 2 I have had quotes with blackboxes and without. If they didn’t want a blackbox they had to pay the difference. (Same for the 1st year. Quotes with them on the insurance and without. They pay the difference.)

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Like everyone does, get on google and do some quotes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My son's about to start driving … tell me about insurance & car options please’ is closed to new replies.