Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My shed was broken into last night…..
  • andeh

…..and all they took was a bag full of body armour, despite numerous other stealable objects (wheels/old frame etc) hanging around. I did wonder if they were disturbed?

They managed to get the shed open (with apparent ease) but have left the bikes inside completely untouched. Not even cut marks to the locks, which are all still in place.

Currently the bikes are fairly well secured with a series of different locks and a ground anchor (into concrete), but I’m a bit worried that they’ll come back with better hardware and finish the job. Today I’ve made a few improvements to strengthen the shed door, replaced the damaged locks etc and soon I’m going to sort out a security light.

I got lucky this time, anyone recommend anything to help with general security? I really just feel like waiting in the shed with a shotgun full of rock salt, but I think we can all agree that’s not a sustainable option.

edward2000
    Free Member

Take your bikes out of the shed if possible. Can they get through the roof? When my shed was burgled, the scum took the parts off my bike as the bikes were locked down!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get them out for a couple of weeks or so, and get a decent shed alarm. Mine has 2 sirens so even if they find one and smash it, the other will definitely go off.

project
    Free Member

baby monitor, that way you can hear them.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Get an asguard steel box to put ur bikes in inside the shed, well worth the money IMO

binners

Land mines are the way forward

jkomo

Get em out

cubist
    Free Member

A big angry dog. A cricket bat with some nails through it. Several big (angry) mates and a case of Stella.

nikk
    Free Member

Sheds are crap places to keep expensive bikes. Keep them indoors, there are really no excuses IMHO.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Muppet broke into my shared home summer house. Took the landlords crapped out Trek Fuel but left my Giant Escape (fool).
    On the other hand he did take four pairs of my pants, six pairs of socks and my favourite blue shirt from the tumble drier.
    I still laugh about that.

mau00149
    Free Member

good cheap audible deterrent…… rape alarm secured somewhere discreet and some fishing wire to the pin. Secure line to bike parts or set up as a trip line etc in the doorway….could even have multiple trigger lines to the one alarm….

andeh

Good ideas guys, thanks for the help. Tbh, there’s only really one bike if actual value, and that is a long way from looking flash. I’m hoping that once they saw the bikes they decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. I think I’ll look into some sort of alarm, as having the bikes in the house really isn’t a sustainable solution. I feel like hear as many tales of bikes taken from kitchens as I do sheds :/

I thought a motion sensor in the shed with a remote alarm in my room would be a good idea, doable?

i wish I could get a dog, for more than security reasons, but it’s not fair, my house is too small and I’d feel bad leaving it alone all day.

I love this time of year. I saw a bike walking away from the bike sheds at work looking forlorn and carrying the remains of a lock, just as I was about to unlock mine and head home.

endurokid
    Free Member

I keep my bike in the shed but spent £600 on a new alarm, the shed can be armed independently from the house, and if it isn’t alarmed it chimes if someone enters. I’ve also knocked up a makeshift ground anchor using postcrete and a steel ring, I also use about 6 locks too.

As well as the house alarm going off there is an internal alarm in the shed that is mega loud, like a rape alarm. It cost a lot of money but I feel much safer knowing my pride and joy is as safe as possible.

I also have security lights to the front, side and rear of my property.

The more security the better IMHO, go mad with locks!!!!

And I hope they don’t return.

andeh

For the record, that should say

saw a bloke walking away from the bike sheds

mjsmke

Alarms that make a loud random gun noise from your house that might scare them off fast.

andeh

A friend at work did recommend a trip-wire connected to a flash-bang and a can of tear gas.

godzilla
    Free Member

Alarm mines, a 12g shell going off three foot from a baddies head will do the job.
    Perfectly legal too.

Northwind

andeh – Member

I did wonder if they were disturbed?

They’re at home right now wearing your body armour and fapping. So yes, they’re disturbed.

maccruiskeen

Muppet broke into my shared home summer house

I think they might have been caught on CCTV

maccruiskeen

I thought a motion sensor in the shed with a remote alarm in my room would be a good idea, doable?

You can get alarms which call your mobile phone, so you know somethings going on even if you’re not home.

sharkattack

A friend at work did recommend a trip-wire connected to a flash-bang and a can of tear gas.

And hopefully a Go-Pro to capture the incredible outcome.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My shed was broken into last night…..’ is closed to new replies.