Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • My riding video – more to come
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

I meant to post this when it happened, but never got round to it. Basically a friend of mine and me wanted to try doing some little video projects. So, here is our first attempt. Local trails, nothing special at all, just testing our ideas. We have plans to go elsewhere early next year and see how we get on. Feedback is very welcome, good or bad.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_KWybGku8[/video]

Merry Christmas

Colin

RichieBoy
    Free Member

i like it, certainly shows promise! where is it filmed?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Like that a lot, (less so from 28-30 secs).

How much actual footage was needed to create it?

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks RichieBoy. Shot in a local forest just outside Belfast.

stcolin
    Free Member

TSC, about 10 minutes of total footage, riding time of around 3 hours, that was the tiring bit, constantly repeating the runs. An out-take video will be on the cards too!

matt_outandabout

Ace wee vid – may be more interesting to mix up a couple of camera angles – a few too many ‘bike round berm, shot from low outside’ and ‘bike towards camera, with few bumps in way’.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

nice, but it’s not clear that it’s one continuous track (i assume it is from reading your comments and watching again) because you switch sides and angles without taking the viewer with you, especially at the beginning (18-26 seconds is good! though could be cut tighter) – makes it hard to recognise features – same for shooting the same feature from multiple angles – you need to get the timing bang on (so you don’t seem to be going backwards) and have some frame of reference between shots for that to work well. Cutting in hard close ups make that kind of thing easier too (cos it could be anywhere)

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I see what you mean references the seams between cuts. The nature of the track seemed to allow those wide angle shots, and we could get away with a little poor timing.

We’re hoping to try much more technical riding next time out, so we’ll need to work on that.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Get some good music on it. Have the actual video sound just loud enough for a little atmosphere.

theprawn
    Free Member

it’s like one of those pro mtb videos but with crap riding, poor camera work and no music.

you’ve done yourself proud.

nonk
    Free Member

prawn 😆 no need man. 😆

bammy
    Free Member

theprawn=TROLL!

theprawn
    Free Member

it’s not really trolling if it’s true though is it. it’s just offering an opinion. that’s my opinion. if he wanted sycophantic stuff he’d post it on facebook.

if you all big up like this he might do something stupid like give up his day job to become a pro rider / film maker. then where would we be? well, we would be fine, but he’d probably be on the streets unless he upped his game somewhat.

i’m helping him not to ruin his life. if you call that being a troll then i’m guilty as charged.

plumber
    Free Member

definately more camera angles

ruthless editing

a story line?

I like the quality of image though 🙂

I favour this kind of stuff these days http://youtu.be/FrUHavOaIP8

But my favourtite riding one is still this http://youtu.be/iE_JIfN0Dxs

stcolin
    Free Member

😆 Prawn…

theprawn
    Free Member

a story line?

it does have a story line. middle aged man named Colin, steals his (or worse someone else’s) kids bike, then he takes it to the woods and makes a ransom video where he shows the kid what’ll happen to his bike if he doesn’t behave (this is where it’s really dodgy if it’s someone else’s kid).

by what’ll happen, i mean, it’ll be ridden nowhere near it’s potential. the only area it will be tested will be it’s weight bearing abilities.

the kid cries, behaves and Colin gives the bike back and puts his video camera back in the bedroom.

then Colin goes back to work at the insurance company.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

LOL, you’re on form today theprawn!

gator
    Free Member

For a first attempt – that is very good

Music (but still hear the bike) and some transition editing

Camera angles – some shot through trees /grass

🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Knowing the trail maybe taints my opinion, but I liked that Col. Loved the ground shot @ 21 seconds and your riding is coming on great. Nice and bright too, which is quite a feat for that area as it’s pretty gloomy round there. Always nice to see someone put a bit of effort into making a vid and funny as it was, i’d ignore Brandon Spielberg up there.

marka.
    Free Member

Too many cuts for my liking.

But I like that there’s no music. Please don’t put music on. Too many decent MTB videos are ruined by crap music choice.

GW
    Free Member

theprawn – Member

it’s not really trolling if it’s true though is it. it’s just offering an opinion. that’s my opinion.STWs definition of “troll” changed while you were away.. seems most here can’t handle brutal honesty anymore.

“Local trails, nothing special at all” – seems you got it spot on with your first attempt! Well done! time for a change of career methinks 8)

Woody
    Free Member

Not a bad first attempt 😉

I’d have liked to have seen a few more long shots, rather than wheels and feet, to get a better flow and the cutting was a bit manic. Helmet cam would also help to give more idea of the trail.

Problem with vids nowadays is that there are so many you need to be either very good/gnar eg. naughty northern lads, or very chilled taking in the scenery like Coastkid to keep anyone other than those in it interested.

Look forward to the next effort though>

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I think it needs some music.

Try it with this..

go go bar

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘My riding video – more to come’ is closed to new replies.