Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • My old lads not good
  • simmy
    Free Member

My Labs ill.

He was fine a couple of days ago, threw up Thursday night into Friday morning. Took him vets yesterday and they kept him in did bloods, X Ray’s, put him on a hydrating drip and gave him antibiotics.

White blood cells up, glucose bit high but nothing really standing out as wrong. Brought him home.

He’s drinking, eating a bit and not being sick anymore. Went back to vets today and had some more antibiotics.

But he’s just so quiet. He’s back at vets again in the morning. Just lying here now like an old man. He’s normally a nutcase.

Sorry, just needed to tell someone…

garage-dweller

Fingers crossed for you and him.

singlespeedstu

Go and give him an extra cuddle.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If you’re really worried take him to a good place like the QSVH. An old Springer of ours lived another healthy 2 and a half years after being operated on by them, after our local vets told us that nothing could be done.

All the best buddy, but if you are losing sleep and willing to travel a bit – take the lab somewhere really good and be done with it.

Antibiotics will probably make him feel like shit though.

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks lads.

He has just scared the **** out of me by jumping up and going into the kitchen for a drink. Thought he was just lying there but he jumped up.

He still Not good though.

Tom, what’s QSVH ? Google doesn’t bring anything up.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Typo, QVSH – The Queens Vetinary School Hospital – located in Cambridge. There are other centres of excellence as well. But Queens are **** amazing and the staff are lovely.

simmy
    Free Member

Cheers mate, will certainly bear it in mind.

There is one local to me so I will see what my vet says tommorow all being well and speak about a referral.

stumpy01

Second that Queens place in Cambridge. Our cat was on death’s door and the vets didn’t really know what to do next.
    Took here there and she was home and right as rain in under a week.

They have people there 24/7 and keep a real close eye on things and really know their stuff…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, our Springer came back better trained after being there for a few weeks on the oncology ward! Mad! The nurses had spent every waking moment of hers giving her attention – getting her to take treats from their hands really really gently.

In fact, I might send them a Christmas card this year. I’d go out of my way to make sure that any local vet that I was using, had good connections with them.

jamj1974

Best of luck OP. Healing vibes to the furry boy!

simmy
    Free Member

He’s gone 😥

oldnpastit

🙁

JonBoy
    Free Member

So sorry. No words really.

oink1
    Free Member

Nooo!!! Balls 🙁 Sorry.

rickmeister

OH no, sorry to hear this….

garage-dweller

Sorry to hear that. 😥

CheesybeanZ

🙁 🙁

jamj1974

Oh no! I am so sorry. Thinking of you Simmy.

simmy
    Free Member

Cheers lads

I’d nodded off on the settee, woke up and found him. Just panicked and tried CPR but was pointless really.

Going in a bit to drop him off to be cremated.

theotherjonv

🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member
    chunkymonkey
    Free Member

We had a near identical situation a few weeks ago, gutted for you mate. I was in London at a meeting when the Mrs rang and said I had to get back, lost Bracken before I had even packed at the hotel to set off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Damn. Sorry to hear that mate. 🙁

I’ve got three. The youngest is 14 and the oldest is coming up to 19. Every time I leave Weymouth I think it could be the last time I see one of them.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ahhh **** simmy – not a great way to start sunday morning. You have my sympathies.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ah damn! Never good to lose an old pal. Especially a Lab. We lost ours at 11. Tumour on the spleen. One minute fine then rushed to vets and died of blood loss on the operating table. No symptoms nothing. Glad you were with him at the end.

cardo

Feel for you Simmy… Our 13 year old lab scared the pants off me on Weds , came home to fine he’d had a stroke, rushed to the vets I was fearing the worst and a bit of a mess.. Vet was brill gave the old boy a sedative , painkiller and Vivtonin and the offer of a personal loan…
    He’s back, a bit wobbly but the tablets seem to be working… but mate not nice.
    Chin up fella.

ji
    Free Member

Sounds like he died in peace at home. Remember the good times, and all the best.

duncancallum

Sorry to hear that.

It’s the crap side to having pets.

However you have to take the positive memories.

wwaswas

Sorry to read this, peacefully at home with those that love us is the best any of us can hope for, if it’s any comfort.

thebees
    Free Member

Choked. RIP 🙁

drlex
    Free Member

Feel for you; vet made a home visit 10 days ago and our 14 y.o. Springer passed away in my arms.
    *dusty moment*

stumpy01

🙁

gozarch
    Free Member

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear of your loss Simmy.

Been there a few times so I can guess at how gutted you must be right now. As others have said try to keep the good times in mind.

Current wee pal is 13, getting quite frail and has slowly deteriorating dementia. We’re just trying to keep up her quality of life and make the most of her while she’s here

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone.

Sat here now and there’s a big space were he used to sit next to me. My other Lab is confused so I’m going to take him for a big walk. My old mongrel, who’s about 17, keeps looking for him to come in.

I’ve hardly slept, not eaten much and have a splitting headache.

At the moment, the thought of replacing him is unthinkable, but the only thing that heals is time.

Never forget him.

Houns

Awful 😥

AdamW
    Free Member

🙁 🙁 🙁

I feel for you Simmy, sorry to hear this.

Every time I even consider losing Brân I start tearing up.

jamj1974

the thought of replacing him is unthinkable,

You won’t replace him. You will likely have another dog but it will never take his place. There will in time be another place in your heart for another.

Never forget him.

Someone here told me when we lost our boy, you don’t forget them – but the memories that bring you tears now will make you smile in time. I think they were wise words.

Del

Flipping heck, sorry chap. At least the rest of the team are there to help by the sounds of it. Take care.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Simmy so sorry. At least was at home with you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘My old lads not good’ is closed to new replies.