Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • My old Kona Unit: hot or not?
  • nick-no-balance
    Free Member

Check out my old and rarely used Kona Unit tricked up a bit with Middleburn cranks, Hope Pro 2 on Mavic x819, Rebas, Elixirs, Eggbeaters… Bla bla…

http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2711908

rossi46
    Free Member

I quite like it- not a fan of mudguards or single speed though 😉

velomanic
    Free Member

Nice but the tyre logo/valve alignment issue hurts my eyes!

Kryton57

Whats with all the recent Kona Unit threads? Its like torture for me – I was hours away from buying one last weekend by my fridge freezer exploded and used up the cash 😥

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

Apologies Velomatic. I will attend to this issue when I put some decent new rubber on it.

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

Krypton 57

Put your milk on the window ledge and spend the money on something you will really enjoy!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I like it. What’s it made of? Is one of the Dedacci steel ones or one of the Kona Clump tubing ones?

jezandu
    Free Member

Not got much love for the brown and yellow combination but it gets its ‘hot’ marks for being singlespeed.

Kato

Very nice fella!

simon1975

Splendid.

It’s the Dedacciai tubing I think, which is ovalised in the down (and top?) tubes. I had the TrueTemper from the previous model year. Fun bikes.

simon1975

Anyone interested in a handmade Kona headbadge? It’s in sterling silver and was made for me by Jenn Green in the USA. Would want a fair few quid for it though…

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

It is indeed Dedacci tubing. I love the way it rides so much that I bought another spare frame in case this one rusts through or I hit a tree!

haggis1978

i could be interested Simon in that headbadge. how much are you after and what does it look like? email in profile.

I cant see these pictures on the blipfoto website. Can you upload it here instead of just a link? i had a 2006 Kona Unit, the sh1tty brown one and it was superb

simon1975

Can you upload it here instead of just a link?

Haggis ygm

eyerideit
    Free Member

Nice but the tyre logo/valve alignment issue hurts my eyes!

Mine too.

yunki
    Free Member

there was one of those for sale on here a while back and I obsessed about it for weeks and weeks..
    Mrs yunki was not impressed..

I did the sums on divorce proceedings and everything

so that’s a big fat yes from me, and a no from mrs yunki

Kryton57

there was one of those for sale on here a while back and I obsessed about it for weeks and weeks..
    Mrs yunki was not impressed..

I did the sums on divorce proceedings and everything

so that’s a big fat yes from me, and a no from mrs yunki

See above, me too – a green one? I put my foot down, then the fridge gave up. I still suspect Mrs K of sabotage tbh…

kimbers

its nice but not as nice as my lava dome 😉 which i posted yesterday and no one commented on

fr0sty
    Free Member

Well, if we’re showing our Unit’s…

My 29 flavour, covered in snow.

Vortexracing

simon1975 may also be interested in the badge

YHM

I have just picked my 2007 one up from the powder coaters, looks great.
    Going to build it up tonight and post piccies tomorrow.

That headbadge would finish it off I think

mick_r

Don’t forget some piccies of the hose guides Mr Vortex 😉 – how lumpy does my torchwork look under powder? I meant to give you some of the plastic hose clips but forgot – guess you can use tie wraps for now (text me your address and I’ll drop them in the post).

I’ll be drinking that beer tonight if I ever get away from work….

Vortexracing

They look fantastic Mick, thanks very much.

Fastline have done a brill job, with a nice coat of laquer as well. £60 inc doing the forks.

I’ll get some close ups and send them to you, i don’t think you will be dissapointed with Fastlines work.

I have some hose clips so all is great.

txt me your email address and I’ll get the photos to you.

about to have a go at building it, so it should be finished tonight. 😀

ian911uk
    Free Member

Great looking Unit. I have a bit of a thing for singlespeed Konas. Here is my latest build, not a Unit but its older brother

Coyote
    Free Member

Konas rock. End of.

haggis1978

Not sure about the yellow forks but otherwise a big yes as that’s the same as I had. From when Kona were still using a respectable tube maker instead of generic cromoly.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

I like konas as well.the new ones are getting back too what kona used to be years ago.

Bez

Kaboom wins. Great bikes – bit of a well-kept Kona secret, those, IMO, cos most people fail to look past the steel…

simon1975

Mine was grey:

Transpeak 7/9/08 by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

Then brown:

Quantocks 6/7/09 by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

Fab bike.

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

When I first turned up on a Sunday morning years ago with this chocolate brown bike with yellow forks some of my riding mates sneered at me.

Needless to say they are no longer still riding their bikes and anyway brown and yellow? I’ve never turned my nose up at a cadburys cream egg!

TiRed

Can you stop now. I’m missing mine and it was a SAT tubed one, not the newer Kona steel. Somebody else is (hopefully) enjoying it at my insurers expense. Oh and that yellow fork is awful.

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

TiRed. Here’s a plan. Go buy a lottery ticket and when you win I will swop it for my spare chocolate SAT frame.

Actually… No I will not

rOcKeTdOg

Back in the day

maxlight4 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Muke
    Free Member

Like it, apart from the yellow forks 😯

Vortexracing

just finished building mine after it’s powder coat, off to try it now 😀

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

julianwilson
    Free Member

Mmmmm I like. Kimbers,yours loses points for being a perfectly singlespeedable/hub gearable slidey dropout bike with unneccesary cassete and derailleur on it.

I love the yellow fork. Actually I liked all the daft 04/05 rockshox colours. IIRC the yellow reba was the ‘bells and whistles’ air u-turn one that year. I had the revelation in that wierd terracotta for a bit and aprt from the paint falling off if you swore at it let alone scraped/dinged it, it was great.

Dark-Side

It could do with a wash Nick, get Raymondo on the case. I still think you should have waited for the black forks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You asked and unfortunately IMO it’s a “not”, poo brown and yellow not a great combo plus singlespeed!
    Nice era though! I have a Fire Mountain from 1993 same graphic stylee but in red love it.

Dark-Side

It’s a lot younger than 1993, 12 years younger

Bullet

@ Nick-no-Balance – I’m sure we’ve ridden together some years ago at Woburn? I was probably on the blue Hustler then. If so hello!

nick-no-balance
    Free Member

Hi Bullet

Great to here from you. I am that Nick. How time flies. I am not riding as much as I did back then. Just enough so I can stave off the effects of cake and cookies. Just for fun.

I still ride with Carl “old Git ” and try to do a night ride weekly together.

Hope all is well with you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘My old Kona Unit: hot or not?’ is closed to new replies.