Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • My new (to me) touring frame just arrived.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I found this on the CTC classifieds. Handbuilt in 653 in the deepest metallic blue. It’s more of a full on touring frame than my Roberts audax bike with longer chainstays and better tyre clearance. I just need a saddlebag, yellow cape and flask now.

RustySpanner

That’s very nice indeed, stunning colour.

After something similar myself, would you mind me asking how much?

fasthaggis

That’s gonna be good Mr McM.
    Is that front pannier rack mounts on the forks ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Carbon seatpost on a touring bike? I think the CTC will excommunicate you for that 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

After something similar myself, would you mind me asking how much?

A steal I thought at £150

Is that front pannier rack mounts on the forks ?

I hope so. My Tubus racks on the Roberts are mounted to a similar braze on on the front of the fork blade. There should be enough adjustment.

EDIT Rusty Spanner, the guy I bought it from had a shed full of frames. Check out his flickr page

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64482

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79025741@N08/sets/

RustySpanner

A steal I thought at £150

Git.

I used to walk past racks of these in the old HH shop on Hanging Ditch – always promised myself one.

I’ll keep an eye on the classifieds.

wwaswas

Carbon seatpost on a touring bike? I think the CTC will excommunicate you for that

exactly what I thought!

headfirst
    Free Member

Carbon seatpost on a touring bike?

Thats because he’s wanting to match the deep-dish carbon wheels he’s putting on it.

Love the frame colour – that’s the colour I will be getting my touring bike re-sprayed in the future.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Carbon seatpost on a touring bike?

It’s all I had that would fit, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap Thomson in the classifieds.

oldgit
    Free Member

Similar sort of to the one I’m shifting. Not quite as full on tour and a bit of a mystery. No one knows if the frames for 700c or 27″ wheels as both fit. The 127mm spacing dates it from 80s to 90s?, but both 120mm and 130mm also fit. The lugs are fancy Nervex Professional and very few bikes were built with these at that period.

Merak

The Harry Hall is a beauty. You know your getting to a certain age when touring frames and wheat beer tickle you fancy rather than carbon bling and a nite out in the discotheque. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

BTW mcmoonter 653 frames ride a treat, odd for a tourer though. 531 main frame and 753 rear triangle, though put through a different process.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You know your getting to a certain age when touring frames and wheat beer tickle you fancy rather than carbon bling and a nite out in the discotheque.

You’ve passed that point when a night in includes perusing the CTC classifieds.

ton

very nice indeed.
    post some photo’s up when you get the build finished.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Nice!

Here is something to inspire

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfNKNxntY0&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahGaL6ehjc&feature=relmfu[/video]

jameso

Nice ) bargain too.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Lovely

italspark
    Free Member

what you need is a nice tripple front shifter !

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great videos TheBrick, they must have been from the ’60 given the cars.

I remember meeting some of those RSF guys on the Land River track from Loch Muick over to Glen Clova. They were a rough rag tag bunch who trampled over our bikes that were just on the track. No hellos or apologies (back then there were only a few mtbs around, even less on the hills) they just swore at us and carried on.

Aye italpark get the shifter in the post or I’ll get medieval and RSF on your ass.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That’s a very nice looking frame. Looking forward to seeing it built up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve mamaged to build up the frame using only a handful of new parts, the majority of used parts came from the classifieds on here.

The chainstays are long so my panniers should clear my heels easily. It’s fitted with 32mm tyres, there is still a ton of clearance for 35s but 32s look big enough.

I’ve got a pair of Tubus racks which are on my other bike, which is currently in Portland, I’ll bring them back in November.

boblo
    Free Member

You won’t get very far on that Mcmoo, nae pedals…… 🙂 Brifters on a tourer? I’m off to write to the CTC 🙂 Nice bike, are you using it for your Pacific ride?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks good even with the DH saddle angle 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nice bike, are you using it for your Pacific ride?

No, I left the Roberts I rode the TA on in Portland knowing I’d be back. Thinking of a Eurotour for the HH next year and a few trips here in Scotland.

The CTC may be lenient since I lost the carbon seat post.

Boblo – are you back in the UK or still in Seattle?

Al, I need to set it up properly, but I like these San Marco saddles tipped slightly back, maybe the sloping TT exaggerates it.

boblo
    Free Member

Still in Seattle, flying back tonight. SWMBO, apparently has a long list of jobs that now need doing 🙁

stratobiker
    Free Member

Very nice!!! Where’s your first ‘tour’ gonna be?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Very nice!!! Where’s your first ‘tour’ gonna be?

I thought about flying to Girona then riding back up through France, Belgium to Amsterdam the catching the ferry back, or perhaps an circuitous tour within France and ending up at my sister’s and driving back with them.

Boblo – be sure to post some pics up here from your C2C when you get back.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My new (to me) touring frame just arrived.’ is closed to new replies.