Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • My new ride
  • hora
    Free Member

Mark my new ride please 8)

Yes my rear tyre is the wrong way round. Wonder what difference it makes to a Ardent?

Forks at 160mm but I’m going to wind them down to 150mm going forward.

Larger pic here

Another

mudsux
    Free Member

at that saddle height on that size frame – you have strange body proportioning (or wrong size frame)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Saddle height doesn’t look to bad, its the low top tube that makes it look out of per portion.

But I like it.

rewski
    Free Member

you have strange body proportioning

that’s very rude, so what if he does. I know plenty of larger riders that buy med and go x long or lean back posts.

mangoridebike

Head angle looks a bit steep but otherwise very nice

hora
    Free Member

I’d fitted the post straight out of the car at ‘stw xc’ height for pic purposes 8)

(1 degree works component headset now fitted). Edit- interesting as the car-shot is the Works components headset- yet it still looks steep?

Mister-P
    Free Member

*struggles to find anything to pick fault with, grudgingly admits it looks pretty damn smart*

rewski
    Free Member

Very nice, Spot on, would you recommend the ardent’s?

hora
    Free Member

Most definitely. I didn’t like the Advantage and I find the Mountain Kings loamy at lower psi’s.

I reckon the Ardent is a great 2 season tyre for nervous riders who need predictable tyres.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks pretty good. But if you got rid of that black tape thats everywhere, removed the decals from the wheels, fitted a black saddle and bars and took a picture of it lent against an Audi TT, it would be much better.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Have you still got the Super Tacky DH High Roller on the front? The knackered one that James gave you in Morzine?

hora
    Free Member

I prefer cars that handle brilliantly. 8)

Stopa no thats a 2.35 sticky HR that someone gave me extra as part of the sale on the SX frame.

mudsux
    Free Member

I’d fitted the post straight out of the car at ‘stw xc’ height for pic purposes

that was lucky – otherwise I’d have been rude ^^^^

Pook

IT’S NOT A RIDE, IT’S A BIKE.

tool.

Vortexracing

going forward

are you in management by any chance?

nice bike, did you have difficulties with the works component headset?

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is nice. How does it ride? Heard people say that the dw-link bikes have a “fold in the middle” feel to them. Not too sure what this means and have never ridden one. Plenty of people seem to love their 5 spots though.

Also, did you ride it much before fitting the works components headset. Wondering how much difference 1 degree makes to the ride? Tempted to get one for one of my bikes.

hora
    Free Member

They see me rollin They hatin Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty Tryin to catch me on my RIDE

When riding up over small imperfections I find the rear ‘kicks’ even though I’m running the rebound almost full slow – wierd. Is that right?

Before I fitted the WC the front felt like it was really tucking in and made me really nervous. Now it just feels ‘bar heavy’ (does that make sense?) on descents- like I’m muscling the bars? I’m running a 50mm stem.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So why is there an advert for it on the Buy/Sell section on pinkbike mate 😉

hora
    Free Member

😆 See my comment above. I’m not used to that feeling- still getting my head round it. Its not ‘bad’ – it just feels like the bike is technical and would reward a technically-able rider? (? as in questions as much as a comment). I’m warming to it but its definitely a bike I’m getting used to rather than sit in/on straight away. The other end of the spectrum is the bike you ride and hate from the off.

If nothing comes up it stays but at the moment its firmly swap not sell.

Klunk
    Free Member

what’s with all the electrical tape ?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Seat post height is fine for a 5spot.No point in pointing that out when theres 6 ft riders on 16″ hardtails lurking close by!

The headtube angle is fine too.It`ll be the lens of the camera.

This is something a few bike company owners do (on here) They take pics of complete builds for their websites with the lens wound right in to get the whole bike in.Its a shame as some of the pics make a perfectly good looking bike all wrong.Walk back 25ft and zoom in a little if you dont have the lens that`ll cope! This isnt having a go at you,hora.You are showing us yer bike so it dont matter! Looks good fun btw.

hora
    Free Member

what’s with all the electrical tape

I’ve had fancy carbon squares that lift and come off. I’ve found that electricians tape is amazing stuff. Who cares if its not aesthetic?

Klunk
    Free Member

Who cares if its not aesthetic?

exactly, lose the tape.

Pook

you’re still a tool.

ygm btw

z1ppy

Sound like far too many ppl are worried about looks than riding MTB’s on this thread, “ohhh that horrible tape”.
    Loving the red colour (2nd picture), enjoy.

HermanShake
    Free Member

That’s a cracking bike! It deserves some helitape instead though, someone’s doing 2 metres for £12 on t’clasifieds.

I’m not feeling the grip colour or the pedals, but otherwise it’s quite splendid.

Klunk
    Free Member

Sound like far too many ppl are worried about looks than riding MTB’s on this thread, “ohhh that horrible tape”.

rather see a scuffed scratched used frame

BadlyWiredDog

Yes my rear tyre is the wrong way round. Wonder what difference it makes to a Ardent?

It’ll roll backwards, you’ll find yourself in reverse mostly until you reach the point where the angle of descent generates sufficient force to overcome the latent rear torque potential quotient of the tyre. Try turning the wheel around for a quick fix.

Also, did you ride it much before fitting the works components headset. Wondering how much difference 1 degree makes to the ride?

I haven’t ridden Hora’s ride/steed/rig, but I have a Works Components -1? headset fitted to my blithering ti singlespeed hardtail and I’d say that it makes a subtle but detectable difference. It’s a little hard to judge as when I singlespeeded it, I also changed a bunch of other things, notably dropping the front end as much as I could, but it’s taken a little nervousness out of the steering on steep descents (the geometry is early Marin Rocky Ridge) plus, though this is less clear, it’s also steepened the seatpost angle a little so it climbs slightly better – that said, flipping the stem and fitting ‘flat’ risers had a more noticeable impact.

I have another bike with -2? and that made a really big difference. One this you find with messing with the head angle is that it also changes a bunch of other things… so, BB height drops very slightly, seat angle steepens, though you can maybe compensate for this with saddle movement fore and aft and also maybe an inline/layback post, front end will be slightly lower with the same AC height to the fork, you may need a shorter stem to keep the steering from going barge-like and, because of the way the head-set works, the cockpit will also be slightly shorter as the steerer is angled back towards you – the more spacers below the stem are fitted, the more pronounced that’ll be, I guess.

That’s all far more noticeable if you take 2? off though. I went from a 90mm stem to a 50mm, I think, but that was too much even with the slackened head, going to stick a 70mm stem on, which I think will be about right.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve had fancy carbon squares that lift and come off. I

Try degreasing the paint then pre-heating the adhesive on the patches with a hot air gun or similar before applying. Instant gooiness, the Pace ones stick fine if you do that.

z1ppy

rather see a scuffed scratched used frame

I’d rather ppl rode than worried about electric tape… and if you want a knackered frame that fine for you, I’ve seen loads of unnecessary damage done by rubbing cables. Did you not see the Marin frame thread a couple of month back, where the frame had literally been fecked by cable rub? Bit of tape is lot cheaper than a new frame..

hora
    Free Member

Actually (come to think of it) the Ardent seems to be better in mud now.

On the tape- its cheap, it works and doesn’t wear through or lift with rain. The only part of my bikes that get washed are the chain and rings with probably a general wash when I can really be bothered (or if its really bad).

Klunk
    Free Member

he might need to cable tie down if it flopping about that much 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Head angle does look a bit steep!

I’m selling that Foxy frame-only now btw.

😉

hora
    Free Member

On my thoughts on ‘muscling the bars’/leaning on bars more when descending – does that make sense?

rOcKeTdOg

Like the semi fat rear, disappointed with the rest of it

peachos
    Free Member

I didn’t like the Advantage and I find the Mountain Kings loamy at lower psi’s.

I reckon the Ardent is a great 2 season tyre for nervous riders who need predictable tyres.

😕

kudos100
    Free Member

Looks ok, would prefer a blur 4x though.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find the Mountain Kings loamy at lower psi’s.

Did you mean “squirmy”?

GW
    Free Member

saddle pointing downwards 🙁
    sky high BB 😥

hora
    Free Member

sky high BB

Not when IM sat on it 😉

Question, can you get offset pivot/bearings for the 5 spot?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘My new ride’ is closed to new replies.