Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • My New (ish) bike build AM hardtail
  • andyparle
    Free Member

Pretty chuffed with myself as its the first bike I’ve put together completely from scratch without the lbs having to fit headset and adjust stuff.

Kinesis pha5e frame (17.5″)
    Magura thor 2012 (150mm)
    Magura MTS brakes (180/160)
    Dangerboy ak47 stem
    funn full on bars
    lizard skins “peaty” grips
    Raleigh RSP plummet (satoro pro) adjustable seatpost
    SDG bel air
    Raceface Atlas FR cranks
    Easton flatboy pedals
    Hope pro2 hoops wheels (d5.1)
    hope skewer/collar
    Grex Saguoro and gato tyres
    Shimano zee shifter and mech
    34t Raceface narrow wide
    kmc sl chain

I was a bit dubious about a hard tail with that much travel (150mm) as Ive only ever had 120mm max on my old santa cruz chameleon and orange subzero mk1. I tried 2 different pairs of revelation dual airs (2010 and 2012 models) and couldn’t get them feeling right, either squishy and divey or no small bump and too linear. I put on the thors and wow, hardly any dive or bobbing and nice and progressive on the big stuff.
    The bike feels like a beast,

Wozza
    Free Member

Well done. Looks good that.

spawnofyorkshire

I like that 🙂

How’s the RSP dropper going? I’m thinking of getting one for the GF as they do a 27.8mm one and it’ll fit the frame i’m planning on building her up

andyparle
    Free Member

Cheers
    I have to say the RSP seat post is sweet up to know. Ive had in the past a gravity dropper which I bought secondhand, stripped replaced a few bits but just could never get on with it. I also had a tmars/traildrop ice lift number which worked fine at first but required a lot of maintenance, spring didn’t always return the seat fully, terrible lever and awful cable routing.
    The RSP so far has very little play, the action is really light and never misses a beat. You don’t have to do any bum tap on the seat to make it rise or fall like the tmars, just press the lever and it pops up. The lever is really nice quality metal construction and the cable and outer is a quality jag wire number. The whole post just seems to be a quality product and it being raleigh I’m sure warranties etc will be an easy affair if anything goes wrong. I got mine for £75 from the local raleigh dealership, they are also known as the Satori Pro (who makes them).
    Do it

spawnofyorkshire

thanks andy

that’s def on the build list now for her

nickc

Looks very cool. How are you getting on with the Thors? I found my old 09 version of the fork a bit marmite TBH, it was very very linear, to say the least, and needed to be set reasonably firm to stop it diving a bit.

Ive just built pretty much the same bike as yours with a Shan frame and Lyriks

Beware apparently there are some on here that hate this sort of bike ( dunno why, just don’t seem to want others to have fun it appears)

andyparle
    Free Member

nick, I can understand people being sceptical about long travel hard tails but…. they are so much fun when set up right!. As I understand the 2012/13 matura Thor/ts8 is a newly overhauled fork using grease instead of oil and with a more progressive spring rate, real easy to setup and even without the albert plus turned on (when I do bother with it I use about 10 clicks out of 42) the brake diving pedal bob etc is minimal. Probably not quite as plush on the real small stuff as the rev 2012’s I had but when pushing hard and hitting big stuff you are super grateful for the stiffness and more progressive spring rate.
    I had some Laurins from 2009 and they where a good fork but far too linear for my taste.
    P.s them Shans look amazing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘My New (ish) bike build AM hardtail’ is closed to new replies.