Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My New Fox CTD makes a clunk, sent to Mojo etc
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so i sent my 2 month old CTD evolution shock off to mojo for inspection, its come back today, and basically said nothing is wrong

fitted it back to the bike and the noise is still there and apparent as ever

it seems like this clunk is in the first 3-5 of travel and does it in ever mode C T or D (although in descent mode with fully fast rebound the noise goes), its insanely annoying, it sounds awful when climbing anything other than smooth as even in climb mode the shock is constantly bobbing up and down the first 5mm of travel, thus creating the clunk

mojo say its nothing they can do and a characteristic of the shock (Being the cheapest model, said if it was the kashima it likely not do it due to different internals etc)

so what do i do, mojo said its pointless sending back in as they have found no faults, and i doubt orange will do anything either 🙁

so basically every climb i have from now on will incur a lovely clunking sound EVERY time the shock moves through the 1st 3-5mm of travel (basically all the time climbing)

so ive got a clunk i cant do anthing about, at least with creaks you take ages to find the culprit and manage to sort it 🙁

pee’d off!

any one else had any issues on the lower evolution ctd shock at all?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is it definitely the shock and not the mounting hardware?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nope ive borrowed my mates rp23 kashima for the last week using the same mounting hardware – no noise

you can feel the clunk vibration through the bars when compressing the seat

its the initial 3-5mm travel of the shock defo, confirmed by using another shock to test, which was silent and perfect whilst i borrowed it

wish id have paid the £100 for kashima upgrade now 🙁

legend
    Free Member

Take bike to wherever you bought if from, demonstrate problem, leave bike there until problem is fixed.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have they have been great (as they always are and posted it off for me) and said they would again if need be

so i rang mojo first before deciding what to do, who told me no point in sending back as its basically how it is, and how its designed, bit annoyed cos im 99.9% sure it didnt do it from new (its fairly obvious noise id have noticed) and basically told thats it nothing more can be done

its not a characteristic of any other rp23 ive owned, nor any other shock in general, as i said its not doing it with a kashima…

where do i go from that really? the shop are great and theyve done what i asked by sending it in, so if need be again i said id send it in personally, but as above mojo have told me its pointless 🙁

cant believe im stuck with it

wl
    Free Member

I’m hearing more and more bad stuff about CTDs. Are Monarchs the way to go right now?

dannybgoode

A friend of mine who’s worked in the trade for a long time is hearing of nothing but issues with CTD’s. Lots of customer returns etc which are generally being dealt under warranty but shouldn’t be happening in the first place.

Haven’t two of the long term test bikes in MBR had CTD issues?

Cheers

Danny B

jonk

I have one on my gyro and there is a noticeable mechanical clunk in climb mode but in T and D modes everything is fine.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Jonk! is yours a standard evolution one?

mine definitely makes the mechanical clunk you speak of and alot more obvious in climb mode!

if i switch the rebound to fully fast on D mode it doesnt do it at all….so i could eradicate the clunk forever should i ride with it in open on fully fast all the time, which kinda defeats the point of the climb mode 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ps jonk is your noise constantly there in climb mode? ie, not just when riding but also when you just push down on the saddle?

i guess its not bothered you too much then? it annoys the hell out of me climbing off road, it sounds like halfords £50er going uphill

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anybody else got this issue with the new CTD shocks? if its ‘normal’ as per mojo, then surely everybody with a evolution must have noticed this noise?

jonk

It clunks when applying pressure in climb mode either riding or pushing on the seat. I was told this is the way the shock is. When you think about it the climb mode is effectively almost closing the compression circuit so there is bound to be some noise. It doesn’t bother me as it helps me to climb much faster. Its a evolution non kashima float CTD 3 weeks old.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Find someone on here who has the same bike and lives close and compare the two. Maybe your fat? Lol

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jonk – righty sounds EXACTLY the same as mine then, so you did question it though? its not just me hearing this clunk lol

i was told theres like a threshold at the top of travel (first 3-5mm) so like a bit of travel before the shock stops and turns into climb mode, which is effectively locked out….it appears that first 3-5mm in non kashima ones is the problem (well on mine and yours!)

may well just have to live with it then i guess, really disappointing

especially to be told by mojo its because the internals are cheaper than the kashima, yet its £289 quids worth!

thanks guys

jonk

How can the internals be cheaper? The Kashima is just a more expensive shaft. IMO the shock is miles better than an RP23 the klunk is just a minor niggle for the performance of pedalling up hill faster especially on a single pivot bike like my Gyro or your Five.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Don’t always believe mojo. Tool them three goes to fix the shock on my old sworks

KonaTC

Mojo say its nothing they can do and a characteristic of the shock (Being the cheapest model, said if it was the kashima it likely not do it due to different internals etc)

That’s pi$$ poor to say the least!

There appears to be a real quality issue with CTD products, you have nothing to lose making yourself a right pain in the arse; phone Mojo and ask how to make a formal complaint about Fox products, quoting that they are clearly not fit for purpose, add the fact that MBR have said that they have had to send two back for repair. Contact MBR and ask what work was done under warranty. Ask Mojo how many warranty claims they have had in the last 6 months.

Keep a record of all conversations; time, date, who, what was said, stay clam and factual, follow up with an email. Stick at it and I am sure Mojo will fix your shock.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats what the mechanic at mojo said today, said that the internals are different in the CTD kashima ones, but ive no idea how also….

i agree that the performance for gyro/five is better, the main problem for me is its amazingly better the climb mode than a rp23 – buttt the mode that its amazingly better in is the mode that causes me the clumcking issue 🙁

so now im probably climb in descend mode just so i dont have to hear the clunk at every single bump 🙁

but i do agree its virtually locked out which is fantastic for climbing, been using the rp23 the last week (whilst CTD at mojo) and it wallows in the travel climbing even in the firmest setting

i shall continue to find out more though im sure!

poor show if its just a standard noise to expect though

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

kona – ill defo ring them again to see if theyve had any more in for this problem

just out of interest do you know why the mbr ones were sent back in?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My New Fox CTD makes a clunk, sent to Mojo etc’ is closed to new replies.