Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • My new 'cross bike
  • Sam

This is the first iteration of something I've wanted to put together for a while. A (pretty much) out and out 'cross race bike. There are a couple of little touches which make it a little different. First, it's singlespeedable by virtue of the old-style semi-horizontal dropouts. Though this one doesn't, some of the prototypes have downtube cable stops, the type which take a threaded barrel adjuster, as well as a stop under the chainstay for the derailleur cable. Most likely production frames will have a similar arrangement.

The rear cantilever brake bosses are also a little different. They are shot through the seat stays to keep the brake arm lower to the stays and thus reduce torsional flex on the stays and therefore improve braking. Plus they are nice and low profile and look good.

The finishing is pretty close to what I'd envisaged. The main frame colour could be a shade darker grey, and the downtube panel I think should be closer to black with a stronger pink logo. And of course it will get it's own Kite headtube badge, a left-over Peregrine is standing in. I've only had a short spin on it and intitial impressions are very good. Stiff, light and fast. Steering is very responsive without being twitchy, and it still feels good at speed. Enough give in the frame and fork to take the edge off things, but doesn't chatter under braking.

Now, anyone know who can do me an accurate colour match and paint some carbon forks?

will
    Free Member

Dam that looks nice! 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

Beautiful Sam. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

bigsi
    Free Member

damn you man, now i want another bike i don't really need 🙄

😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘My new 'cross bike’ is closed to new replies.