Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • My new carbon 456 build…
  • wwaswas

Apologies for state of patio;

Comes out at 22lb on my scales, certainly flew up the hills on last nights first ride.

quick q: what chainstay protectors are people using on these frames – even with SS at reasonable tension they’re deep enough for the occasion chain/stay contact

soma_rich
    Free Member

The Pace look awesome on that frame as if they were designed for it! I really want to test ride one. But know I shouldn’t as I don’t want to buy another 456!

wwaswas

I’m pleased with them;

this is an upgrade from a steel 456 – def worth it from the first ride – same geometry but more comfort and so much lighter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice, even stealthier than mine.

I have used innertube and zipties on chainstay.

I estimate mine’s about 26 to 27lbs, but rides like it’s even lighter. I was climbing much faster than usual yesterday.

slowrider
    Free Member

No doubt they ride good but I can’t get my head round the looks. Bet they ride nice though, loads of people I know really rate them but I’ve not ridden one yet that felt right to me. I’m dead fussy with my bike setup though.

chiefgrooveguru

Nice! Want adjustable big forked geared version with dropper post…

hora
    Free Member

No doubt they ride good

Apparently quite stiff.

Which makes me think why not just get a alu frame?

chakaping
    Free Member

Because even though it’s stiff, it feels soft and comfy.

It’s probably the fastest and most comfortable HT I’ve ridden. The rest have been steel or alu, btw.

s
    Free Member

wwaswas – Did it come with SS Horizontal dropouts or did you have to pay extra for them?

Looks good without all the latest On-One decco on too.

chiefgrooveguru

Apparently quite stiff.
    Which makes me think why not just get a alu frame?

Because it’s a composite you can make in stiff in one direction, flexible in another. You can do the same with a metal frame but only through tube profiles – with composite you can play with the profiles and the material.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that the amount of flex in the frame is inconsequential compared with the amount of flex in the tyres?

wwaswas

was a tenner extra for the SS dropouts I think.

Did have problems with the SS bit – 160mm IS Magura Marta calipers won’t fit the disk mounts and there’s no alternative mounts with the slidey dropouts to put them above the seatstay.

Fortunately CycleSurgery were doign PM Louise BAT’s for £60 an end which fitted fine (I’ll be dropping the back to 160 I think, though):-)

It’s far more compliant than the steel 456 but still ‘goes’ when you stamp on the pedals.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that the amount of flex in the frame is inconsequential compared with the amount of flex in the tyres?

I don’t think it’s frame flex that gives the comfy ride, more the way carbon seems to soak up vibrations.

granny_ring

Very nice, are the Paces fighters?

wwaswas

no granny_ring – they’re 130mm XCAM’s.

I find the lock down useful on climbs – stops the frotn wandering.

will
    Free Member

Nice! Liking this 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did have problems with the SS bit – 160mm IS Magura Marta calipers won’t fit the disk mounts and there’s no alternative mounts with the slidey dropouts to put them above the seatstay.

I had this on my C456, with IS Magura Louise FRs. They fouled the inside of the dropout plate, so I just filed it back a bit and they now fit perfectly….. Cheaper than new brakes! 🙂

granny_ring

Agree got some 40s like the travel adjustabilty of them too

wwaswas

Cheaper than new brakes!

It was nice to have an excuse to buy new stuff and at that price it seemed a shame not 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fairy Nuff! 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Wasn’t a fan of the carbon 456 when I first saw it but this one looks pretty good!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wasn’t a fan of the carbon 456 when I first saw it but this one looks pretty good!

Neither was I, even when I ordered one!
    Well, not until I built it up……
    (Custom decals do help)

IMG_0859 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Yet1man

Oh how bizaar, I was just about to start a thread on ‘suitable chain stay protector Carbon 456’ and saw this one.

I’ve built mine up with the DT Swiss versions of the same fork. Still not found time to finish off cutting the gear outters/setting the gears up though so its currently looking cool, mean and green (and still very very clean) in my front room :0/

So, back to the original question … what chain stay protectors have people been using on these ? I bought an XL BBB one, only to find once it came through the post, XL stands for XtraLong not XtraLarge !!? D’oh !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got the biggest Lizzard Skins one on mine, they do one for fat stays, and a long one too, so get the right one!

Yet1man

Have you got a model number or link to the one you opted for ?

What is the fit like ? Still tight or loose or Goldie Locks – just right ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pretty tight still, but it fits OK. I bought it in an LBS…..

takisawa2

Oh dear.
    This has planted a seed in my grey matter.
    😉

wwaswas…have you got a close up pic of the ss dropout…

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

IMG_0673 by milesg_01, on Flickr

Bonjour – thought I would share my 456 carbon, first ride yesterday over Cleeve Hill in Cheltenham. Rides v.quick!

Running 10mm Hope headset spacer (came with the frame) and a 150mm fork which IMO is too much, will remove this later this week to tighten up the head angle. Otherwise, Revelation Dual Air Race forks 20mm bolt thru, XTR gears, Hope Hoops, SLX crank, On-One bars & seatpost, thompson stem, PG990 red cassette, PC991 chain, Carbon Elixir CR’s, Spesh phenom saddle. Weighs 23lbs according to my scales with pedals etc. Could drop it with some lighter bits but this is a hard trail bike.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

fancy some custom graphics, like the one of the bottom of the downtube on the 29er carbon, will see what my local sign writer can do

wwaswas

takisawa2 – will take some pics today.

wwaswas

click images to make bigger. As you can see I had to grind a bit off the chain tug to get it to fit.

ahwiles
    Free Member

slowrider – Member

… I can’t get my head round the looks …

i wasn’t sure either, but they’re on display at the showroom, and now i think they’re quite handsome, and i’m not usually a fan of oversized ‘tubes’.

and they’re very, very, light.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘My new carbon 456 build…’ is closed to new replies.