Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • My new bike – Warning Uber niche content
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I was 50 this year and decided to treat myself (actually my lovely wife treated me). In January I emailed Lynskey, In March she paid a deposit. In May the frame build started. In June the frame shipped to the UK. In July I was 50 and today (10 weeks late) the bike was delivered to me.
    Yes it has too many spacers and yes, the lawn needs cutting.
    And it needs chunkier tyres. Fork by Waltworks
    More pics available in the same folder for those who are interested.

Lynskey’s drawing

My original drawing

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks massive. EBB?

tails
    Free Member

Such a nice bit of grass shame about the . . . .:wink: Whats the reason behind the bend in the downtube? hope you have fun!

Woody
    Free Member

That is a seriously huuuuuge garden !

Is it a 96’er or the camera angle playing tricks and more importantly how does it ride?

njee20
    Free Member

My eyes are bleeding.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It looks massive because it’s very high at the front because its designed for rigid forks only. I grant you it does look a bit odd but it rides great.

Lynskey put the bend in the down tube for reasons that were never clear! Perhaps they already have a pile of bent downtubes?

Yes it has an EBB

Yes the garden is ‘large’

ton

very nice indeed.. 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks like quite a long headtube and very long stays.

Whats it weigh?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Stays are 18″ so pretty short for a 29er
    Weighs 26lbs in current guise. Schwalbe Marathons are HEAVY
    Headtube is long – it’s the rigid fork thing again
    its a 29er – sort of 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Stays are 18″ so pretty short for a 29er

Yeah, I think they just look long cause of the small tyres.

travellingman
    Free Member

Instead of waiting 10 weeks for the bike to be built, why didn’t you build it yourself? It’s as satisfying as riding, in a different way.

It cost a few quid I’d guess? Lynskey only being a realistic proposition with their stock frames really.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nice berm . . . or is it a compost heap 😉

tang
    Free Member

is it sporting eyelets for a rack? if so, well done sir.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you like it then that is all that matters. Personally I think it should be put in a bag and drowned down the canal.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I had no idea that it would take 10 weeks to build. I’ve built bikes before but the shop gave me quite good prices on the parts and offered to build it for free. The wheels needed building too and I’ve never done that so it seemed like a good deal. However there was delay after delay getting the right bits and even though we’d agreed all the components at the beginning they didn’t start getting them in until the frame arrived in the uk. I had to order the rims and the chainring off the internet and have them posted to the shop. I also had to make a couple of component changes at some parts were no longer available.

If I was ever going to do something like this again – and to be frank, it’s seriously unlikely – I would definitely order all the bits myself and build it at home. Hell, I’d have had the bike for my birthday and the summer.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It’s a berm! My wife always says I have a nice one!

Yes, it has eyelets for both a rack and mudguards. In winter it will have small tyres and mudguards and be used mainly on the lanes. In summer, bigger tyres and out on the hills.

travellingman
    Free Member

Fair play regarding the build.

And a rack! Suspension fork for crappy roads/off road and you’re there!

Nice dropouts, by the way.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Looks groovy. What are you going to use it for? I kinda looks set up like a hybrid with those tyres. Must be nice designing it yourself. Is the bent down tube for fork crown clearance prehaps? Enjoy your new bike.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

er…

it looks pre-crashed into a wall…

Im sure it rides nice though…
    Im just jealous beacuse i have to wait till next year for a new bike.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It’s been an absolute pleasure designing it. I started in March 09 so it was nearly a year before I contacted the shop. I love the little touches like having my initial in the dropouts.

giantjason
    Free Member

very nice bike.

did you have the rohloff before or is that new to you as well?

what type of riding do you do? are you putting knobblier tyres on?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’ve had a Rohloff before but this one is new.

I have a full suspension bike for off-road stuff but much of my daily riding is on muddy (read shitty) country lanes – hence the need for mudguards. I know this bike would look better with knobblier tyres but for winter round here, these are just the job

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Ooh, nice. You might want to try the Marathon Supremes. Decent hardwearing grippy and lighter than other Marathons.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I like it. What size are the tyres? Any problems getting them on & off the Stans rims? I have some Arch rims & have been really struggling with 28 & 32 road tyres.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I got a Lynskey (cooper) for my 40th this year from the wife, now that means i’ve got 10 years to plan for my 50th, YIPPEE!

brakes
    Free Member

wonky downtube just looks wrong on what is otherwise a nice bike despite its wagon wheels
    I suppose you could always ask them to put a straight one in

jools182
    Free Member

I like it.
    Is it sad that I like the cad drawings just as much? I really need.to get myself a cad job again. Drawing bikes would be ideal!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Here’s another one for you, gives you an idea of how much detail I went to:-

jools182
    Free Member

I could draw that in half an hour 😉

wellhung
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

If you like it then that is all that matters. Personally I think it should be put in a bag and drowned down the canal.

+1 it’s the forks they look too thin

Sven

It’s one of the neatest ways for a Rohloff’ed bike to have an EBB and have the disc brakes between the seat and chain stays so that all cables can run along the downtube and the toptube is un-cluttered. And those seat and chain stays are lovely!

takisawa2

I would have gone for a Ti fork also, if such a thing exists.

Woody
    Free Member

When you say your initials are in the drop-outs, are they actually ‘in the drop-outs’ as I can’t see anything resembling initials. Or am I just be thick/blind?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

There’s a ‘N’ between the upper and lower parts of the dropout

Ti forks are pretty rare. There are lots of scare stories about them breaking. Black Sheep were pretty much the only ones I could find that would have suited and the cost was just too much even for this build.

forgotmename
    Free Member

A touch of class, hope you enjoy it.

Woody
    Free Member

See it now – bit too subtle for me and I was looking for a ‘B’ as well as the ‘N’ 8)

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Knowing wht you lot are like about attention to detail, I’m quite surprised no one has commented on the mudguard eyes being on the ‘wrong’ side of the fork.

wl
    Free Member

Looks pointless and ridiculous, but each to their own.

sheffield43
    Free Member

How much did it cost?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘My new bike – Warning Uber niche content’ is closed to new replies.