Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • My mate needs a new mtb..on the cheap
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Currently running about on a GT tank thats about 6 years old, but looking for something lighter nows hes putting in a few more miles.

Trouble is hes only got 400 quid to spend. Is he better looking for something complete in the classifieds, or searching for second hand parts and building up? I’m guessing he can use his old drivechain, and I have spare post/bars/stem etc.

You reckon decent SH frame, wheels and forks are doable for 400 quid?

argoose
    Free Member

On one frame bundles .
    Worth a look

jekkyl

Look on ebay for local bikes, hard tails, spend £400 there & you should be okay, but go have a ganders & research the bike you’re bidding on, see what it went for from new.

z1ppy

I know your calling the GT a tank, but maybe upgrade the parts on that with the £400 rather than start again?

New (or 2nd hand) forks & wheels could make the world of difference & be a way to better bike (replace the frame later) in the long run when he has more spare cash?

lasty
    Free Member

If he could stretch to £475 a nice tricked up pinnacle arrow could be his – carbon rear end with FOX forks, Hope / mavic wheels, hollowtekII cranks, X9,juicy 5s etc etc ….
    Tidy and fully sorted – sized as large, 5 foot 10 – 6 foot 1 .
    Test ride not a problem – the bike is in Leeds .

lasty40 AT hotmail DOT com

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’d upgrade bits gradually as he has spare cash, probably starting with new forks and wheels as priority which will make the biggest difference, and other stuff as it wears out/he has some spare money.

stevemorg2

Depends on what he has now – if it’s a decent frame then some decent s/h wheels – Mavic 717 on Hope Pro2s – and a lighter fork – a s/h Reba – would make a lot of difference

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks folks.

Unfortunately were talking about a bike that cost about 350 quid in 97, so frame looks to be a bit of a stinker.

I’d agree that wheels and forks would be the best upgrade. I reckon both could be bought for about 230 quid, an inbred frame or similar for 100 quid, then the rest on maybe a new cassete, chain ect. Thing is that inbreds usually sell as complete bikes for not much more, so maybe hes better keeping an eye on the classifieds..

Mackem

Sell the old bike for a 100, then you’ve got 500. Plenty of decent second hand bikes at that price.

stevemorg2

I think Pauls Cycles have some 2010 GT Avalanche 1s for £420 – they have to be worth a look

funkmasterp

I have a Trek 6500D (2011 model) that I am thinking of getting rid of. Bought new in June of last year, mainly been ridden around the Peaks. Got a few scratches from carrying on a bike rack without padding when I first got it.

I live on the outskirts of Macclesfield, if he lives anywhere nearby he is welcome to come look at it. I would post photos, but it needs a damned good clean at the mo.

yunki
    Free Member

I managed to build my bro a sweet little bike from the classifieds here for around £500

barn
    Free Member

Post up wanted ads on here and scour.
    He’ll find something like an old On One Scandal or Rock Lobster (steel) and will be away.
    There are some gems in these here HTMLs.

Edric64
    Free Member

gt avalanche 3 disc from Pauls cycles is under £400

missionuk
    Free Member

How about something like this This? for £320 Cannondale Fatty Rigid,

hainman
    Free Member
    SprocketJockey
    Free Member

A fair few complete builds of 456 / inbreds and the like crop up on here and ebay from time to time around the £500 mark and I’ve put together a few bikes for less than that from ebay / classifieds finds before.

Personally I’d be going down that route – unless you get a real bargain a new bike at that price point will be perfectly serviceable but your mate will get more for his money S/H.

Is there anything like http://www.spokes-uk.org/ near you ?
    A charity that helps disabled people by training them how to repair donated bikes for resale.
    Most of the bikes they get are supermarket specials, but they get the occasional decent bike, so worth a look.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I have got a 2009 16″ Orange 5 in my garage , it needs some TLC, a new drive train and rear mech but I think it is generally sound .

stevemorg2

Mr potatohead – I may be interested if the OP isn’t

tonyd

I’d second keeping an eye on the classifieds here and pinkbike. I’d also suggest the CTC forums, not sure if it’s just me but things tend to be a little cheaper over the there (fewer IT middle managers probably!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks all. Yep I saw that cube, but I think its pick up only! I reckon a 500 pound build is fairly easy, 400 a bit tighter. Will keep an eye on the classifieds for a good frame and fork as a starter.

Mr potato head, not sure if you’ve missed the price constraint in the OP, but if not then he’d definitely take a 2009 five off you for 400 quid, knackered drive train or not!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘My mate needs a new mtb..on the cheap’ is closed to new replies.