Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • My low budget, winter hardtail…
  • sharkattack

…which has so far failed to meet its two main requirements. Firstly being ready for before winter, and being made of entirely used parts picked up on Ebay and STW.

Still though, I’m pretty happy with it. Still need to decide on some brakes and get some lightweight off-road tyres. Only got a pile of DH tyres. I’m particularly pleased with the Specialized OEM Revolutions that have a 20mm axle and just happen to match the colour of my favourite grips. The big, ugly stem is borrowed until I know what size and rise I want.

Went and shredded some flat corners on my lunch break today and it felt good! So nice to ride a hardtail even if I was scared to point it downhill towards the junction where the lorries fly past. I’ll wait until I have some stoppers on for that.

binners

Very nice indeed!

Don’t worry… Nobody who sets out to build something ‘low budget’ ever manages it. I’m presently looking at building up a rigid hardtail commuter with a Pace RC305 frame I’ve got hanging in the shed. The thought only occurred to me a week ago, and already I’ve gone from building it with bits I’ve got kicking about, to eying up lots of lovely carbon fibre goodies

I think it’s called ‘mission creep’. We’re all doomed! 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Very nice, been tempted by a bfe for a while. What did you pick the frame up for?

mattjg
    Free Member

low budget … winter … it should be singlespeed surely?

sharkattack

What did you pick the frame up for?

Whatever it is on the website, £330 I think. I was all settled on an On-one 456 Evo frame and fork bundle, then I saw the purple Bfe and it was game over for the 456.

low budget … winter … it should be singlespeed surely?

I said low-budget not whackybonkers!

righog
    Free Member

My last “low budget hard tail” is still sitting in the workstand and will have cost about £800 time it gets finished, Should be bloody good fun though.

My best budget build was an on one single speed at well below £400

Your’s look ace BTW

zoo200
    Free Member

That is lovely!!!!

ste_t
    Free Member

Looks lovely that. I’m not sure how ‘budget’ a new bfe frame, revs and slx is, but won’t hold it against you!

rs
    Free Member

interesting approach, 29er on the back, 26 on the front…

sharkattack

Looks lovely that. I’m not sure how ‘budget’ a new bfe frame, revs and slx is, but won’t hold it against you!

I only paid full price for the frame. Drivetrain is heavily discounted from my LBS. Forks are from a Stumpy Evo. Nukeproof Generator wheels were picked up locally from Pinkbike classifieds. I had everything else lying around.

It’s not ‘mega money’ but it’s a bit more than I intended. Just gutted that I’ve missed the bulk of night-riding season as I’ve got an Exposure Diablo gathering dust.

nwill1
    Free Member

Deore 615 brakes for budget under £70 for the pair with adaptors…new.

Will do the job nicely 😉

winston
    Free Member

Black Elixir 5’s from On One 100 squid a pair including 180 rotors
    Can’t go wrong

passtherizla
    Free Member

Nice! My cheapest build so far was my BFe. Managed to get the last ex demo frame in xs from cotic for £160 delivered. Already had Wheels, stem, bars, and forks it I reckon those bits cost me £370 and then about another £100 on bits. So £630 all in and I thought I’d done well.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My winter bike, albeit finished a couple of weeks ago. Cost about £120 to build, although I had lots of bits in the loft. Also upgraded forks from another bike to use here. Has a nice mix of Avid brakes and Hope discs etc. Bits from CR and Charlie. £6.50 deore cranks , probably the best buy, now wrapped in carbon to hide their scuffed to hell looks. Wizzes along on the Michelin slicks, almost stealth like unlike roaring nobblies.

lilchris
    Free Member

Just gutted that I’ve missed the bulk of night-riding season as I’ve got an Exposure Diablo gathering dust.

You know we have night time in the summer as well, don’t you?

Nice build by the way!

Northwind

You know what? It’d be a crime to ride that in winter, you need a low budget winter hardtail 😆

warpcow
    Free Member

I followed all my rules to build my low budget, winter, sscx: all 2nd-hand parts as much as possible came to about £250. Was so happy with it that I thought it deserved a carbon fork, nicer wheels and brakes, and now eying up fancier frames.

woody2000

Built from bits I had erm, “lying” around save for the back tyre and chain – £23.

I obviously bought all the other bits at some point! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘My low budget, winter hardtail…’ is closed to new replies.