Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • My latest bike build, a 24.4lb steel hardtail
  • 4ndyB
    Free Member

I picked up a ’93 KHS Montana Pro frame from a very good friend a few weeks ago & decided to bring it back to life with as near to catalogue spec parts as possible…

Spec list

1993 16″ KHS Montana Pro
    True Temper OXII butted tubing
    Mag20 fork with Mag21 canti bridge
    Stronglight headset
    OE Zoom stem
    Amoeba Titanium bars
    Cube sponge lock on grips
    OE Kalloy Uno seatpost (date stamped 07.94)
    OE Bontrager Ti saddle
    X-Lite Ti seatpost bolt
    OE XT M095 brake levers with shifter pods
    OE XT M736 front mech
    OE XT M735 SGS rear mech
    OE XT M730 crank arms (polished by the Lord of the Sith)
    Ritchey 24/34/46t chain rings
    KMC X8 99 chain
    Sram PG730 12-32t cassette
    BB UN54 bottom bracket (searching for a OE XT BB to replace this)
    Alivio canti brakes with M System pads
    Clarks white outer cabling and silver ferrules
    DX hubs with Mavic 217 Sup rims with DB spokes (OE XT M730/M732 hubs with Mavic CD231 wheelset & OE XT Skewers en route)
    Charge Splashback 1.8″ amberwall tyres
    Schwalbe AV14 lightweight inner tubes
    Xpedo M-Force XP-XMF4AC SPD pedals

*OE = Original catalogue spec equipment.

Weight 24.41lbs/11.07Kg

Now for the pics…

P1020665 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020664 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020675 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020671 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020667 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020666 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020673 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

Yes I do intend to lasoo small woodland creatures with the rear mech cable 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Love it, especially the tyres, nice finishing touch.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Thanks!

I’ll be having a shakedown ride tomorrow, I think it’ll be a little interesting as I’ve not ridden a bike with a stem that long in 20 years 😆

psychle
    Free Member

Pretty bike, really nice build! 😀

If you haven’t already, you should get it up on Retrobike, they’ll love it I’m sure 🙂

4ndyB
    Free Member

Didn’t think it’d get such a good reaction as it has, wow thanks!

I’m really pleased to how well it’s come out

The build thread is on retrobike 😉

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129260&highlight=

PS there’s an epic tale of how the build came about on page 4 of the above retrobike thread

bullheart
    Free Member

Ace!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That looks lovely. Good job getting that build together.

HTTP404
    Free Member

love everything except the stem and forks.
    i’d probably throw a set of rigid forks on there.

40mpg

That looks great, and may inspire me to get my ‘project’ going – a 93 kona explosif (old steel bikes are ace!) with most of the original bits in a box in my garage.

First thing to do is get it sprayed, but just can’t decide what colour. Seen a nice white one on retrobike.

rOcKeTdOg

i bet that’s a giggle to ride, i used one of those rear mechs up until 2 years ago on a commuter, still fine, sitting in the spares box

spock
    Free Member

Managed to gauge how good the tyres are yet? Quite interested in those, Nice bike

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Looks good. Is stem a Zoom stem. Looks 150mm.Put 130 on and it’ll look good. My mate had one and I always remember them being slightly lighter than most other big brands.

Really like the frame, spec is good (apart from tyres!!)

Good work.

4ndyB
    Free Member

HTTP404 I’d love to put some rigid forks on there to complete the catalogue spec list, but my arthritis wouldn’t be too happy with rigid forks on the bike 🙁 Guess the stem issue is the mahoosive length? I’m trying to source another shorter one

spock I’ll let you know how the tyres fare, doing ~25 miles round Thetford tomorrow on em, so far only been round the block with them on so far

Margin Walker I’m on the look out for a slightly shorter stem, as I do feel a little too far over the bars at the mo. How come you don’t like the tyres?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Lovely bike.

I remember lusting after those Montana Pros back in the day. They did a blue and pink colour scheme IIRC which I fell in lurve with 🙂

4ndyB
    Free Member

There’s a purple & pink Montana Team circa ’93-’94

Same frame as the Pro, just dripping in XTR M900 instead of XT M73x stuff

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

OP ….no issue with tyres other than bike looks to have all the stuff from the era it was availbale apart from some modern /weird looking tyes.

I just remember Ritchey Z max /tioga Psycho / Continental Cross Country / Panaracer Smoke dart.

130 mm stem and it’ll be reet.

Loving the frame.

4ndyB
    Free Member

As tyres are a consumable item I chose a modern equivalent close to what would be available back then I could search for some used Panaracer Smoke tyres which are catalogue spec, or Psycho’s or any other tyre from back then but I’d rather have new rubber on the wheels rather than some perished old tyres, I’d not buy NOS ones either, the bike’s a rider not a Garage Queen, so no NOS parts for me, it would be wasted on the bike.

I may have found a shorter stem too, plus the original bars!

1st ride was today at Thetford, around 23 miles in total, the tyres were perfect for the conditions, they are quite fast rolling & grip well, the front didn’t wash out once & the rear just gave traction whenever I needed it.

The bike is lovely to ride, sharp handling, quick accelerating, nimble and deals with a bit of air pretty well, it’s also pretty comfortable even sat on the nose of the saddle for most of the ride. That shorter stem can’t come quick enough though, the saddle is at it’s forward limit on the rails already!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘My latest bike build, a 24.4lb steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.