Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • My husband has stolen the Liteville 301…other options please?
  • ahsat

Ok, by stolen, I mean he owns one, which means I cant buy one! Not his rules, mine! Cant have his and hers bikes. Its bad enough with Rab jackets and North Face shoes (though I owned them first!) 😛

I currently ride a Nicolai Helius CC with 140 mm up front. Looking for something of similar capabilities i.e. a good descender and capable of going up hill with little/no bob; but with a slacker head angle and in 27.5″.

I also find the Nicolai quite heavy at times (going to claim a pathetic girl moment). It is quoted at 2.7 kg without shock from their old geometry sheet and I have a mid range build on it with XT, Hope hubs etc. I am a little surprised to find the new generation of bikes have frame weights of ~3.3 kg (including the new Nicolais) and I was hoping my next bike would be lighter. Sadly the only Aluminium bike I can find under 3 kg is the 301; and as per my own rules I cant have one! Lol! 😛

I crash too much for carbon!

Liking the look of the new Transition Scout, but that goes into the heavier box.

Any ideas….? (Btw this is a long term project so it can be something new)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get over the Carbon phobia…

ahsat

Get over the Carbon phobia…

Bad experiences of the husbands 575 rear ends and writing off a Yeti 5C and he is a much better rider than me!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Get over the matching bike phobia?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

My newer Nicolai frames have generally weighed less then my previous frames.

I would be surprised if your older frame was as little as they claimed.

MSP

I crash too much for carbon!

Fast forward to the 5min mark

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

batman11
    Free Member

Banshee spitfire
    Mates just got one and I’m a wee bit jel :mrgreen:
    26 and 27.5 compatible and nice and low stand over and all alloy frame.
    bats.

ahsat

Get over the matching bike phobia?

I have a bit of thing for having something ‘different’ – to both the husband and other people! Hence the Nicolai!

Get over being so stubborn….

Banshee spitfire

Have been tempted in the past, especially as I was at Uni with the designer Keith. However, vitalMTB quote the v2 frame as 3.4 kg.

Also like the look of the Whyte T-130, but doesnt look like you can buy that frame only!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Turner burner 140mm travel 27.5″ wheels about 3kg in small. Larger frames weigh a little more.

Small 22.5″ 15″ 3.75″ 23.5″ 15.3″ 28.8″ 6.8 lbs (3.08kg) 5’2″-5’6″

wrecker
    Free Member

Alu bronson, yeti sb75, pyga one forty, bird aeris (might be heavy). Me? I’d get a sb6c, but after a few years falling off a carbon bike, I’m not scared of carbon.

chiefgrooveguru

Spitfire with a CCDBA is indeed 3.5kg but it is a much more efficient pedaller than your Nicolai (and to a lesser degree the 301). Mine climbs at least as well as my hardtail (and Strava concurs) despite the latter being 2kg lighter! The new Transitions look great too.

I think pedalling efficiency is far more important than weight but it’s harder to quantify in layman friendly way whilst everyone understands scales (and there’s a long tradition of weight obsession in road biking – where you don’t have significant differences in pedal efficiency because there’s no suspension).

ahsat

I think pedalling efficiency is far more important than weight but it’s harder to quantify in layman friendly way

I’m happy to believe you and I can see how that works; but like you say difficult to headline in a geometry table.

I noticed a difference coming from my 2007 Trek EX7 where pedal efficiency was zero compared to the Nicolai. I have had the Nicolai for 4.5 years and it is a very good bike, though my riding has come on since then!

Liking the Turner Burner and Pyga One Forty (though OH thinks the latter looks like my old Trek!)

ahsat

Hummm just seen that York cycleworks now stocking Whyte, Banshee and Transition! Might have to make a trip south (and call into my parents for cake…handy!). If they only had Yeti and Turner and we’d probably have the set!

Kahurangi

If you want a light weight heavy duty frame, then that puts you in the direction of Liteville or carbon, no? Or do Canyon or Scott do some lighter Alu frames?

ahsat

If you want a light weight heavy duty frame, then that puts you in the direction of Liteville or carbon, no?

Yes, I may, once again, be trying to achieve the impossible!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Giant Trance SX.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Is it possible to get a bit hung up over a couple of hundred grams on frame weight? Is overall bike weight, geometry, efficiency, and reliability equally as important.
    Personally I would choose a strong frame with the right angles and decent bearings over super light weight.
    The components are a greater part of the complete weight of the bike.
    I recently took a set of very nice kashima coated fox forks off my bike. I replaced them with some heavier pikes. With the heavier forks the bike rides better. End of. In that case weight was worth sacrificing over performance.
    Keep a good strong frame. Get some nice quality light wheels. Decent stem & carbon bars.
    For me don’t get too hung up on the frame weight.
    IMHO of course 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t get a carbon or a heavy frame if you don’t want one.

Plenty of light alu frames and bikes out there which would be well suited to a lighter rider.

Mondraker, Canyon, Giant immediately spring to mind. Are you a brand snob?

y0eddy
    Free Member

Have you considered a Juliana Bike? VPP and you’re less ikely to come across another on the trails.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have a bit of thing for having something ‘different’ – to both the husband and other people! Hence the Nicolai!

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come across as a donkey.

If you have found something you like to ride then…………..good luck on your hunt.

Always fancied a Liteville myself.

HansRey

yt wicked?

munrobiker
    Free Member

As above, I’d get a carbon bike if I were worried about frame weight.

If you’re not into carbon, considering your Nicolai is 4.5 years old, you should be able to go for a marginally heavy frame and still build it lighter as the kit to hang off it has got much lighter. Pikes weigh very little compared to 160mm forks of old, wheel weights have come way down if you avoid things like a Hope/Stans combo. More carbon bits, more lighter cranks etc. Add in 1×10 and you’ll be able to save a few pounds from what you have already.

Watch out for new tyres though- some of the 650b and 29er tyres are over 1kg, which isn’t really acceptable for a trail tyre.

ahsat

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come across as a donkey.Neilwheel…Sorry my stubborn comment was directed at myself!

There are some very valid comments here that weight isn’t everything. I have never test ridden a bike…maybe this is the time to do so and prove to myself weight isn’t everything.

Have considered Juliana but looks like only single pivot in Alu. Good to finally see womens bikes for over 5’6″ women. They do look good.

wwaswas

Just get a Liteville but have it powder coated to not match your husbands – http://www.liteville.de/t/25_46.html They’ll do frame, rear triangle and rocker arms all different colours, too – rasta bike 😉

I see they’re doing complete bikes now;

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Why is there a bottom guide type thing on it?

NZCol

I’d look at one of the SC Julianas as the are fantastic bikes albeit carbon.

wwaswas

Why is there a bottom guide type thing on it

on mine it does reduce chain flap quite a lot – it’s possible this is because it’s virtually inline with the pivot but could just be because it shortens the length of chain available to flap. It probably adds some belt and braces to a narrow/wide ring solution too.

neilwheel
    Free Member

The Liteville has a direct mount on the chainstay for a slider guide as an optional extra.

EDIT – 112 Euros extra.

oldschool

Why is there a bottom guide type thing on it

on mine it does reduce chain flap quite a lot – it’s possible this is because it’s virtually inline with the pivot but could just be because it shortens the length of chain available to flap. It probably adds some belt and braces to a narrow/wide ring solution too.

It just a posh DCD

dirtydog
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike that 10 year addition, I’d be tempted to rewrite the rule book.

anc
    Free Member

Liteville and divorce.. sorted 🙂

P20

anc – Member

Liteville and divorce.. sorted

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 😆

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Liteville 601 then?
    🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Looking for something of similar capabilities i.e. a good descender and capable of going up hill with little/no bob; but with a slacker head angle and in 27.5″.

Unless you’re very tall for a female, I’d caution against putting 27.5 in the back end of a 301 anyway!
    I have an XL 301 and am currently trying a 27.5 Syntace W35 on the back to see how it copes in Winter slop. It’s quite tight for clearance with a Magic Mary on it.
    Normally I run a 26″ W35 and clearance is not an issue with that.
    As the chainstay lengths are size specific on the 301, I wouldn’t recommend 27.5 rear on less than an XL.

If (when) you decide to break your own rule, then 27.5″ front and 26″ rear is the way to go on an LV 301, IMHO of course.

ahsat

Liteville and divorce.. sorted

That creates new problems…I’d have to find a new mechanic! Anyway, think p20 is a keeper!

Ecky-Thump thanks for the thoughts on the 301 and 27.5″. I am only 5’9″ so dont think that will work.

I am interested to see how some of the 2015 bikes fair in longer term reviews. That Transition still looks interesting and if it pedals efficiently, maybe weight isn’t an issue, expect when doing a hike-a-bike when all bikes are annoying!

benpinnick

A bird aeris in small (or xs) will be under 3kg.

ahsat

Possibly found a Scout in medium to demo….could be dangerous!

vonplatz
    Free Member

Unless you’re very tall for a female, I’d caution against putting 27.5 in the back end of a 301 anyway!
    I have an XL 301 and am currently trying a 27.5 Syntace W35 on the back to see how it copes in Winter slop. It’s quite tight for clearance with a Magic Mary on it.
    Normally I run a 26″ W35 and clearance is not an issue with that.
    As the chainstay lengths are size specific on the 301, I wouldn’t recommend 27.5 rear on less than an XL.

Does the 26 out back alter stand over and BB height much? For the better? I’m really trying to talk myself out of buying another w35 in 26

drovercycles
    Free Member

If you like the look of the Pyga, I’d consider the OneTwenty as well as the Pascoe – OneTwenty runs a 140mm or even 150mm fork – Pascoe needs a 160mm really.

If you’re after a Medium we have both in that size available to demo.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Does the 26 out back alter stand over and BB height much? For the better? I’m really trying to talk myself out of buying another w35 in 26

It would be for the better, as the BB is sky high anyway.

A 650b wheel ‘just’ fits in a large with a not very big tyre. I doubt it would fit in any smaller frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘My husband has stolen the Liteville 301…other options please?’ is closed to new replies.