Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • My Hope Singlespeed Hub is…
  • samcheese
    Free Member

…not very good.

I’m an enthusiastic user of regular Hope hubs but my singlespeed hubs are on the third set of freewheel bearings in less than 12 months.

Rubbish they are, mun.

Anyone else having a problem?

greeble
    Free Member

Chain tension too tight?

Liftman

Jet wash your bike ?

shortcut

I have a set and they are fine.

Issues that can cause premature failure in my experience are:
    1. putting the bike away after being cleaned and made to be very wet then leaving it for a month or two. This really screws bearings.
    2. cheap bearings last less well than expensive ones.
    3. too much chain tension.

or they may have been put together wrong.

samcheese
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – but none of the above.

It’s like riding a static gym bike with the resistance cranked up to 11.

I’m going back to the stock cheapo hub and screw on freewheel. Knickers to it.

Clobber
    Free Member

Too much chain tension really kills freehubs

eddie11
    Free Member

Cracked freehub body? Can cause those symptoms

shortcut

Why not have a chat with Hope. They aren’t supposed to be like that so it needs fixing.

GeForceJunky

Does sound like you are running way too much chain tension.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Just fitted my new Hope/Flow EX SS wheel to my Fortitude, came in, sat down, turned on computer and saw this thread.
    Pants

ratherbeintobago

putting the bike away after being cleaned

I thought one of the benefits of SS was that cleaning suddenly became optional (though about the only time my geared bike gets cleaned is when the back wheel won’t turn for dried mud)?

bikeneil
    Free Member

^ that’s what the mongers will tell you…

angryratio
    Free Member

what sort of bearings have you used to replace the originals?

oxym0r0n

Mine has been fine for years with the odd bearing change – def give hope a call

breadcrumb

If its black and 32 hole I’ll take it off your hands!

samcheese
    Free Member

Does sound like you are running way too much chain tension.

It may sound like that, but it isn’t that.

samcheese
    Free Member

Just fitted my new Hope/Flow EX SS wheel to my Fortitude, came in, sat down, turned on computer and saw this thread.
    Pants

To put the cherry on the cake, my Hope hubs are also on a Fortitude.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I had a Hope SS hub for a while. I couldn’t believe how draggy it was. Noisy too. Cheap tat!

danielgroves
    Free Member

Noisy too

Isn’t that half the point of buying a Hope?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Yep, mine eats bearings quite a bit. Probably changed freehub bearings 3 times this year. Also as the water gets in, the inner axle bearing gets wet too, springs go rusty etc. I have to service it monthly. Has enduro bearings in it. Really need to find the best our there to buy. Have lots of Hope hubs, but these can sup water from a desert.
    Anyone give me a clue on the best? Cant have bolt on axles due to shrouded dropouts. Any ideas ?

djflexure

I like my SS hope hub. Just getting it built into a 29er rim today. Love the extra points of engagement. Road all through last winter without any problems. Did not have to change the bearings. Perhaps others ride more? Will see how it goes this year.

sssimon
    Free Member

I’ve as one since 2006 (first batch) and I’ve greased the pawls twice and only now getting to the point it needs bearings. It is noticeably more draggy than a standard pro2 but that’s always going to be the case with the better engagement.

jameso

Stock Hope bearings didn’t last me too long, not bad considering the use but getting better life out of Katec bearings now.

sssimon
    Free Member

I’ve as one since 2006 (first batch) and I’ve greased the pawls twice and only now getting to the point it needs bearings. It is noticeably more draggy than a standard pro2 but that’s always going to be the case with the better engagement.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘My Hope Singlespeed Hub is…’ is closed to new replies.