Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • my guitar cover of rush-spirit of radio
  • racefaceec90

well after over a year i finally have my own guitar/amp again 😀 to celebrate i have murdered the classic rush track (sorry alex 😯 i hope you like it (all comments/pi** taking welcome 😉 p.s excuse the bad lighting/sound i had the amp at a pretty low volume so as not to annoy the neighbours 😳 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1miB6za9jc&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I know nuffink about geetar playing, but you seem very competent.

Only thing I’d say, is it sounds like the rhythm is a bit inconsistent; I don’t know if that’s cos of the poor sound quality, but it duzent sound ‘metronomic’ in it’s regularity, if that makes any sense. Could just my ears and not knowing the piece though. Might a metronome help? Can you get a metronome type app for a fancy ‘phone, play it back through earphones?

I’d suggest getting sumat you can record the guitar straight onto the computer though, to get the best sound reproduction. Some sort of Analogue to Digital converter type thing. I don’t think they’re all that expensive.

Then you can listen to your playing in better quality sound, and have a better idea where you’re succeeding/going wrong.

Takes some guts to bung a vid on tinternets for all the World to descend on like vultures though, so fair play. And keep playing, innit?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

nowt wrong with that.

I used to play guitar everyday for hours at a time but for the last ten years it fell by the wayside. I too got a guitar and amp after a hiatus but finding the time to practice for me has always been difficult…..too many distractions.

Well done sir (and extra credit for posting yourself playing, something I’ve never had the guts to do)

racefaceec90

thanks everyone for the kind words 😀 i’ll tell you the truth though (i was bricking it tbh 😯 i always am nervous when i upload any of my guitar attempts (that track took over 15 attempts to do) i just kept messing up 😳

Elfinsafety i totally agree with you about using a metronome (i don’t 😳 to keep in time. i intend to start to do so though (downloaded a free metronome for the pc). thanks for taking the time to watch my cover 😀

zippykona

Sounded good to me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well your timing is pretty good anyway, and as I said it could just be the poor sound reproduction (basic mic recording the ‘room’ sound, rather than a direct sound input from geetar?), my ears and the fact I listen to a lot of computer-created dance music. 😀

Nah, it’s good mate. Love the widdly finger-work, looks very accomplised to my untrained eye.

Are you just playing it from your head though, rather than reading from a score?

Keep going with it; it’s entertaining for others to enjoy your playing. What we should have, is a ‘requests’ feature, where we ask you to play a piece, you go away and practice, then do a little vid maybe. That would be fun.

I’d like to hear some of the geetar bits out of Deep Purple’s Child in Time. 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool!

I’m still trying to get a guitar! the first one I bought the seller refused to sell and the second one has a snapped neck, the seller of course had no idea 🙄

Thought you said you could harldy play 😉

racefaceec90

kaesae sorry to hear about you not having found a guitar yet (broken neck i hope you got a refund from the person 😯 what type of guitar were you interested in? thanks for the kind words also 😀

Elfinsafety if you only knew how long it has taken me to learn* the limited covers that i do know you might be waiting a long time (especially trying to play any ritchie blackmore stuff 😯 * when i said learn,i’m still learning them to be honest 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Love this track! I agree with Elfin about metronome, though the track has several time-signature changes so not sure how that works. Maybe rehearse mixed with the original recording in your headphones so that your timing is bang-on and then record just your output.

Nice. Would love to have a guitar again, but the Mrs wont have it.

fatalbert
    Free Member

I know diddly squat about playing the guitar. All I know is that Spirit of the Radio is in my top ten tunes on my ipod and I wish I could play it like you.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Good one, I like Rush, Exit Stage Left is one of my favourite albums. I’ll have to have a crack at that myself I think. When ever I record stuff and put it on line I always play along with the track too.

Here’s one of mine…..

linky – can’t get the vid to embed!

racefaceec90

fatalbert that is extremely kind of you 😳 thank you 😀

hummerlicious unfortunately wmg have barred your video 🙁

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey raceface

I got a Fender stratocaster with an amp at first then a 1997 Epiphone les paul limited edition Korean manufacture, les paul arrived on firday, picked it up gave it a once over. Came across the crack and thought oh **** ing great more shit to sort out.

Most of the used shite stuff I buy these days is ****! still could be worse when I bought and sold MTB frames for a living I had to do deal with that kind of shit day in and day out, gotta go amp to bid on 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wow I wish I could play like that!

My dad gave me his old folk guitar a few weeks ago, I’m going to start learning next week. Thanks for posting!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ll try this one, it’s on Vimeo, not youtube

[video]http://vimeo.com/27553178[/video]

racefaceec90

kaesae good luck with the bidding (i hope you find a sweet guitar/amp 😉 let us know how you get on 🙂

catflees thanks a lot 😀 good luck with your guitar endeavours let us know how you get on also :-).i have spent years on and off trying to play the guitar.as i’m not naturally musical/gifted,it’s been/is a struggle to get anywhere with the guitar to be honest.but i love the instrument anyways. try here to begin with (he’s a really good teacher online http://www.justinguitar.com/ by the way i had to sell my 360 + games so i could buy the guitar/amp (still have some pc games to play though 🙂

hummerlicious great cover sir 😀 and is that a floral jem guitar 😀 (i’m not envious in the slightest 😉

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yep, that’s a JEM77FP, I’ve had it 20ish years, awesome bit of kit. I’ve got an S series 7 string too.

Thanks, it was quite a tricky one to learn, good fun though 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wow I wish I could play like that!

See? Praise indeed! 😀

Elfinsafety if you only knew how long it has taken me to learn* the limited covers that i do know you might be waiting a long time (especially trying to play any ritchie blackmore stuff * when i said learn,i’m still learning them to be honest

That’s fair enough, you seem very humble. You definitely have a talent for it though. That much I can tell. 🙂

tthew

Nice racefaceec90. I love that track. Also Elfin’s response made me chuckle, ‘I know nothing about playing guitar’ and then 4 paragraphs of advice. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

No it’s true, but I do have an idea of how music should sound though.

And I think the ‘advice’ is what most folk would give, to be fair.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good stuff, I could spend hours watching peoples guitar covers on youtube. Can you play any other stuff by Rush? Working Man would be a goodun to learn.

Heres a good cover of a classic song, he’s playing it in his pants – how it should be done.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-m9L0JIOg[/video]

racefaceec90

davidtaylforth thanks. i can play limelight also by rush (attempt it anyhoo 😉 apologies for posting another link to one of my videos (well i have to increase the numbers somehow 😳 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4sxDMeL0xk[/video] i did this around 3 years ago

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I’ll come round with my kit and murder Pearts playing along with you.

dropoff

Love it. fair play to you that took me back. I’ll nominate you as lead guitarist for the newly formed STW band 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Great stuff. Now bang up a version of Vital Signs 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

A bit of hopefully constructive criticism, I’d say that you could do with working on your timing a bit. The intro and some parts sound like you’re rushing into it too much and it gets a bit out of time and choppy sounding. Not all of it flows naturally but that only comes with familiarity and playing it over and over I suppose! Playing along to decent backing tracks or a metronome will help you out loads I think.

Good song choices 🙂

edit – here’s a good Limelight BT

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

racefaceec90, you’re a brave man to take on some Lifeson! A great effort!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘my guitar cover of rush-spirit of radio’ is closed to new replies.