Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My Garmin Edge 305…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

… has been run over by a car.

Dammit 🙁

geoffj

Those new 800s look nice.

Or send it back to Garmin for a ‘repair’. Their cs is second to none.

Stu_N

Yep, give Garmin CS a call. They do very reasonable flat rate repairs/ exchanges.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. It’d certainly be nice if they gave me some kind of break for being a loyal customer..?

I did spend a fair while looking for it because I was rather fond of it as a bit of kit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

RIP, I’m finding it quite addictive going through all the statistics post ride.

Just shows how unfit I am, most group rides my HR is up in zone 4 and spends most climbs in zone 5 🙁

Anyone know any free to use websites where it can plot .crs/.gpx files onto OS or comparable mapping?

wwaswas

It’s about £65 for an ‘it’s fecked we’ll just replace it’ service from Garmin.

Quick turnaround as well.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

All my dealings with Garmin have been great so far, I’m sure they’ll help you out!

Anyone know any free to use websites where it can plot .crs/.gpx files onto OS or comparable mapping?

How about here?

molgrips
    Free Member

Just shows how unfit I am, most group rides my HR is up in zone 4 and spends most climbs in zone 5

Well not necessarily – presumably you are calculating your zones based on %age heart rate based on some book – Friel perhaps? This may well not be appropriate for you.

Z2 = a pace you can sustain for 3-4 hours
    Z3 = 2 hour pace
    Z5 = 10 mile TT pace

Zones according to Matt Hart anyway. But bear in mind on long rides your heart rate tends to drift upwards for the same power, and on 10 mile TTs your heart rate takes a few minutes to get up to Z5 despite maintaining constant power…

RealMan
    Free Member

Did it get run over by a car when the mount failed? Those things are made of the softest cheese ever. Went through about 5 of them in no time at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

The mount broke ages ago, it was held together with a zip tie. It was secure but I think it was making it hard to get on and off the bike, so I don’t think it was properly secured because of that.

Just called them, a new one is waiting for me. They wouldn’t let me upgrade to a 705, but still – brilliant service.

I heart Garmin.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those were the garmin zones so presumably the usual, 220-age = max hr and calculated zones accordingly.

Felt like;

3 : Could spin like this all day

4 : Could sustain this for a while, half hour or so at least. Keeping up with the group, but wouldnt be going this fast out of choice.

low 5’s : Could be sustained for a hill, but not much further.

molgrips
    Free Member

Might I suggest a day with a fitness consultant?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Naaaaaaa, I know I’m not fit, I know the solution to this is more night rides and probably getting out with the roadie club on Sundays rather than my usual Saturday ride and half hearted commitment to mid week gym sessions. :p

molgrips
    Free Member

But at least you’d know your zones 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I was still living somewhere like Sheffield where there are half hour+ road climbs maybe, but arround Reading where the biggest hill takes 10 minutes tops its probably not really worthwhile.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t have to be going up hill to be on the rivet 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

I love to hear about good CS. I’ll probably buy a garmin on the strength of this story.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll probably buy a garmin on the strength of this story.

That and the fact the 305 is actualy ace for MTB on open terrain (GPS is useless in the woods). Just find a route that someone else has ridden, convert it to a course (.crx file) using gpsToaster Gpsies gpsBable or similar, upload it and follow it by zooming right in on it. I’d still take a map as theres no ‘map’ just a squggly line, but it save the need to check it every single turning.

molgrips
    Free Member

(GPS is useless in the woods)

Oh I disagree! Mine never cut out – it’s brilliant. Garmins now have super-sensitive receivers that even work inside (sometimes). I make routes with tracklogs and upload them to the unit. I use it mostly for navigating complex road routes on roads I don’t know well, so no map required.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My Garmin Edge 305…’ is closed to new replies.