• This topic has 63 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • My Fitness Pal
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Anyone use it?

If so, does anyone find it useful?

I’m not normally a “weigher” but I have a BMI of 25.1 and I’d like to get it down, it’s always hovering right on the “healthy” and “overweight” line. I could do with dropping a few pounds to help me out with a couple of races I’ve signed up for. BMI obviously isn’t the full story, as during my training I will gain muscle, but as a guideline for how much I should be eating versus how much I’m exercising, it seems like it could be useful.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My girfriend uses it.

Personally I think it looks like a faff.

Cook all your food from scratch and weigh yourself to see what it’s doing to you. I hear bamboo has pretty much **** all nutritional content so you could start by eating a lot of that.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I use it and don’t find it a fact at all. I’ve lost just under 9 kilos over the last 5 months and id have struggled to do that without using a food diary.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I use it, from time to time, it’s quite shocking how many calories are in wholemeal wraps.

Jamie
    Free Member

I also use it from time to time to give me a rough idea of what I am troughing. After an initial mild faffage period, setting up meals, building up recent foods etc, it’s a piece of piss to use.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I am interested in it to see what the fat/protein/carb split of my intake is.

How much protein in a bag of Cadbury’s Whisper bites for example?

Jamie
    Free Member

9.49 grams

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I guess it’s that whole “do I really know how much I’m eating” thing

I’ve always found it difficult to lose weight, have modified my diet recently and I think I’ve dropped a couple of lbs but because I don’t own any scales at the moment I don’t know really!

seanoc
    Free Member

I’ve used to to loose 8kg towards the end of last year. I now use it every now and then just to regulate things. The calories burnt, I find, are fairly accurate for me (unlike Livestrong).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What do you eat at the moment?

We can help.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ive been using it for the past month and have lost over half a stone. Previous routine of exercise and “sensible eating” were having some modest results – 3-4lbs since New Year.

MFP allowed me to quickly see what was stuffed with sugar and / or fat.

Haven’t really made any radical changes to my diet – still have beer / wine etc, but am now more aware of what I eat vs what I burn.

Dont find it too much faff. I think it would be if you want to be super accurate about everything – I use it as an approximation, a guide if you like.

Try it.

ETA –

I guess it’s that whole “do I really know how much I’m eating” thing

I found it’s that whole “do I really know how much what’s in what I’m eating” thing

GrahamS

Another thing to waste time on.

Apparently I still have 800 calories left to eat today, where did I put the number for the chippy?

Jamie
    Free Member

where did I put the number for the chippy?

Maybe they are on Twitter?

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Yeti, I have a strict gluten free diet (coeliac).

I try to avoid many GF substitute foods as they tend to be loaded with sugar and additives to make them taste anything like acceptable. Occasionally I have a GF pitta bread or a bacon butty with Genius bread (weekend treat).

I don’t generally eat dairy any more, I used to be a cheese and Cadburys Giant Buttons fanatic, but I was advised by my doctor that a diet high in dairy could be making my Crohns worse, so I stopped eating it and switched to almond/soy milk. I think maybe the couple of lbs lost so far may just be from cutting out cheese and chocolate 😳

I can’t tolerate legumes really in any quantity which is a shame because I quite like lentils and beans and hummus and stuff like that….can only have small amounts of them.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Never liked Lagoons myself either.

druidh
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

> I guess it’s that whole “do I really know how much I’m eating” thing
    I found it’s that whole “do I really know how much what’s in care what I’m eating” thing FTFY

andermt
    Free Member

I started using My Fitness Pal in March 2010, at the time I weighed 135kg, by October 2010 I was down to 88kg which was well in the BMI healthy zone for my height without looking too skinny.

It’s gone up about 10kg since late 2011 due to lots of travel for work and lack of exercise so have started again on My Fitness pal this week.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MFP works for me better than fad diets. Not a fag once you get used to it and stops you eating unnecessary stuff. Plus shocking to find out how many calories in a costa flat white and millionaires shortbread!

Basic diet common sense and very easy to use. GFI

martinhutch

Does two hours of MTB really burn 1,200 calories, though? Seems a tad high to me, and throws the whole thing out if it’s not accurate.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Apparently I still have 800 calories left to eat today, where did I put the number for the chippy?

And that was exactly why I stopped using it! I put on weight rather than losing it 🙁

mortuk2k
    Free Member

cronometer.com, is very good if you want something clean and basic to journal diet/exercise and show some trends.

rkk01
    Free Member

I found it’s that whole “do I really know how much what’s in care what I’m eating” thing

druidh – never used to care much about what I was eating (* wouldn’t use “worry”, as I dont), but the more I’ve looked in to food, the more I’ve realised how much sh!t goes in…

“healthy” Jordans muesli this am – 20g sugar, 10g fat!

Does two hours of MTB really burn 1,200 calories, though? Seems a tad high to me, and throws the whole thing out if it’s not accurate.

I would have thought that was an understimate…!
    Normally reckon on 700-1000 cals per hour for mtb

SamB
    Free Member

I’ve used MFP for a couple of months (on a recommendation from my housemate) and found it really useful. The big thing for me was portion control – just stopping to weigh out how much food I was eating (and realizing how MUCH I was getting through each meal) has really helped.

Was at 83kg in January when I started, now down to ~78 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Using a polar hr strap is the only accurate way to tell how many calories you are burning. In a two hour road race, I can burn 1,400 odd so unless you are racing on the mtb or spend an hour climbing solidly, I doubt you’ll be hitting near the 1,000 mark in an hour.

GrahamS

It just estimated my 52 minutes of “moderate cycling 12-14mph” for my commute as 680-odd calories. Endomondo said 486 so I went with that instead.

Which means I’m still starting the day at -367.
    Time for a sausage roll I think.

GrahamS

I doubt you’ll be hitting near the 1,000 mark in an hour.

Depends – I suspect some forum members will be hauling considerably more weight up the hills than you DGOAB. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I just like to add, I never ever log exercise with MFP. It’s just, as my portions of cake are, too generous.

I have the base level of calories I am allowed, and working on roughly 100 kcal mile for running and 250 kcal per 10 miles cycling @ 16-18mph-ish, eat more food appropriately. It’s not an exact science, but works for me.

woffle
    Free Member

I use the Livestrong app equivalent of My Fitness Pal – I think the exercise calorific values are more accurate; they tend to come in closer to that calculated by the Garmin which goes off weight / HR etc.

That said, I’d still be cautious about using exercise calories burnt as an excess when looking at daily intake – if it was wholly correct then theoretically I’d be wasting away – taking yesterday as an example I had a calorie deficit of more than 900…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DirtyG – ‘only’ is a bit strong… and GrahamS hits the nail on the head…

Men burn on average 25% more calories on a sednetry day than women. I imagine the multiplier is greater as we start moving…

GrahamS

I have the base level of calories I am allowed

MFP put my base level at 1980kcal per day – which was a surprise as whenever I’ve vaguely tracked calories in the past I’ve always used the average man needs around 2,500 calories a day guideline. I didn’t realise you had to drop so much to shed some weight – so I guess it has helped me there.

250 kcal per 10 miles cycling @ 16-18mph-ish

That sounds very low to me. It depends on your weight, but this Livestrong article suggests at over 16mph you burn “59 calories per mile if you weigh 190 pounds”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

190lbs!!

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve noticed my Garmin 705 doesn’t record any calories when I am freewheeling down a hill. That seems reasonable but it does mean that all these xx calories per km figures are far too simplistic.

Jamie
    Free Member

MFP put my base level at 1980kcal per day – which was a surprise as whenever I’ve vaguely tracked calories in the past I’ve always used the average man needs around 2,500 calories a day guideline. I didn’t realise you had to drop so much to shed some weight – so I guess it has helped me there.

I enter all my own targets, which I have got to through trial and error. Use a fairly even split on macros, 40/30/30 or something. Up carb intake if doing lots more exercise.

That sounds very low to me. It depends on your weight, but this Livestrong article suggests at over 16mph you burn “59 calories per mile if you weigh 190 pounds”

Not really. Around 25kcal a mile cycling seems ok to me. Thing is, even if it is a bit under, it evens out all the stuff I eat, like a couple of almonds/apple etc, which I can’t be bothered to log. My Garmin HRM seems to roughly tally with it as well.

I think a lot of people vastly overestimate what they are burning when cycling. Hence all the ‘I biked 20 miles, had a 14 cakes and some haribo, but am still not losing weight’ posts.

GrahamS

190lbs!!

I’m 218lbs 😳

But I have very heavy bones you see…

Garmin 705 doesn’t record any calories when I am freewheeling down a hill. That seems reasonable but it does mean that all these xx calories per km figures are far too simplistic.

That’s why I used the figure from Endomondo. Don’t actually know if it uses height data – but it certainly could do. Doesn’t really matter anyway – my commute is fairly height neutral (291m up, 211m down) and I do it in both directions.

Use a fairly even split on macros, 40/30/30 or something.

“Macros”? Is that carb/fat/protein?
    MFP reckons my goal is 55% carb, 30% fat, 15% protein.

Around 25kcal a mile cycling seems ok to me.

I can only assume you weigh considerably less than me then. 😀

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I use my net diary

It also has an app for iPhone/Android and is easy to use.

Jamie
    Free Member

I can only assume you weigh considerably less than me then

After I have been for a poo, I imagine I am about 150lb-ish.

GrahamS

It also has an app for iPhone/Android and is easy to use.

MFP has apps for iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android and Windows phone!

The iPad one is particularly swishy.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I don’t see why only is strong…garmin over estimate calorie burn by around 10-15% iirc. How many calories you burn depends on how hard/much effort you put in so if we were both riding at 20mph but say i’m in zone 5 and you are in zone 3, I’ll be burning more calories surely because i’m working harder to maintain that pace?

The other thing to remember though is just because you burnt off say 1,000 calories in an hours ride, you’d have burnt some of those calories anyway.

My basic metabolic rate is something like 1,300 before exercise, with exercise it takes it up to something arond the 2,000mark per day but i have no idea how many calories i consume in a day but doubt that 1,300 would be enough.

druidh
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – Member
    I don’t see why only is strong…garmin over estimate calorie burn by around 10-15% iirc. How many calories you burn depends on how hard/much effort you put in so if we were both riding at 20mph but say i’m in zone 5 and you are in zone 3, I’ll be burning more calories surely because i’m working harder to maintain that pace?

It’s also weight dependent. A heavier, fitter person could be in Zone 3 and burning as many calories as you in Zone 5.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘My Fitness Pal’ is closed to new replies.