Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • My first Stans puncture.
  • zippykona

Small(3mm) gash in tyre not all the way through. Sealant shooting out. Keep on riding hoping it will seal. No joy.
    Stop to put a tube in. Have to check tyre for thorns. Had to wipe out as much sealant as possible with my buff. Sealant all over my hands, sleeves and shorts.
    Obviously this stuff doesn’t wash out.
    When I think of all the grief I had getting my tyres seated and the fact that a tube wouldn’t have punctured leaves me not impressed.

smiff
    Free Member

put some glitter in ur tyre, and maybe carry some string to poke into the hole next time. cuts are the weakness of tubeless..

wwaswas

Use anchovys – no need to take tyre off rim – work 99% of the time. I’ve left them in for months and had no problems.

you need to use rubber cement with them – you can get a complete kit but this was the first example google brought up

alfabus
    Free Member

Small(3mm) gash in tyre not all the way through. Sealant shooting out

how was it shooting out if the gash wasn’t all the way through?

mboy
    Free Member

Depends what stuff you’ve put in your tyre, but I’ve found Stans washes out of clothing fine.

I’ll ask what tyre you were using though. Too many people assume that tubeless is the be all and end all, and that you will never ever suffer a flat again, whereas in reality you need to pay as much attention as ever to using a tyre beefy enough for your needs and where you ride. Too many slap on a condom with a bit of tread because “it’s tubeless, I can’t puncture right” and end up gashing the tyre. I’ve not gashed a single tyre in 8 years or so of running tubeless, but then I don’t run super thin sidewalled tyres.

skin
    Free Member

I had my first puncture for months using Stans at the weekend due to a 1cm long shard of flint. I just emptied out the solution, cleared the numerous thorns and put a tube in. I’m personally impressed by this and will be re-Stan’ing for tonight’s ride.

zippykona

Alfa bus, there was still a layer of ply. Was using Ignitors.

wwaswas

zippykona – if you get the full innovations kit there’s a knife included for trimming the ‘patches’ that you can use to make the hole slightly bigger if needed.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

This is what you want. Everything you need to repair including knife. Clicky

njee20
    Free Member

A) why remove the sealant?
    B) if you had a 3mm tear in your tyre what makes you think a tube would’ve been fine?

zippykona

That repair kit looks like what’s needed.Ta.

mr_mills
    Free Member

The strips in the kit above are too thin to be any use. This is what you want:-

Weldtite kit

Nice big thick strips of sticky poo.

footflaps

Use anchovys – no need to take tyre off rim – work 99% of the time. I’ve left them in for months and had no problems.

+1

Carax
    Free Member

Does it matter if the anchovies are salted in a jar or freshly marinated ?

wwaswas

freshly marinaded in rubber glue works best, ime.

zippykona

That’s the problem with this website. You never know if you have walked into the “woofer and tweeter” sketch on Not The 9 oclock News.

gazc
    Free Member

had the same situation the other day – i didn’t have a tubeless repair kit to hand but had tweezers and a normal tube repair kit. i ended up using a piece of foam patch (the glueless ones i think) which i ripped up and used tweezers to plug the hole with. dosed with a good splodge of puncture repair glue also helped and seems fine now

Northwind

I had a puncture that wouldn’t seal a while back… Discovered I’d somehow lost my tubeless patches. Out of frustration more than anything else, stabbed the hole with a pointy stick. End of point stick broke off in hole, tyre sealed perfectly, completed rest of ride.

Very versatile tool, your pointy stick.

wwaswas

I always carry one with me.

It gives a very easy point of reference for those ‘Well, is it better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?’ moments.

Klunk
    Free Member

I had a puncture that wouldn’t seal a while back… Discovered I’d somehow lost my tubeless patches. Out of frustration more than anything else, stabbed the hole with a pointy stick. End of point stick broke off in hole, tyre sealed perfectly, completed rest of ride.

had to find a replacement thorn a few times,

Alejandro
    Free Member

Why did you have to wipe away the sealant?

As for seating and getting it to inflate, should be easy. Make sure the beads aren’t in the concave in the middle but out of it, close to the rim edge. Use tyre levers to prize it out if it’s dropped into the concave.

zippykona

Wiped away the sealant as i needed to be sure there were no thorns in the tyre.The thought of trying to patch a tube covered in goo wasn’t appealing.

Andy-R

No mention of duk down yet?

Where’s Mark Datz when you need him……..

Taff
    Free Member

I had a 3mm gash in mine and the sealant poured out too. Left the gash at the bottom of the wheel and it just oozed out. Expected some kind of seal or at least reducing but none. Spent more time fading with it than when I ran tubed

amsterdan
    Free Member

Had a 1cm gash turned the hole to the bottom and put my finger over it worked a treat

mattjg
    Free Member

Rear wheel went very soft last night. I couldn’t find a hole, put some air in it and was on my way in a couple of minutes. Presumably a thorn flat that would have meant a new tube in the tubed world.

But good point about checking for embedded thorns before putting a tube in!

Taff
    Free Member

Having written the above post I chaned to summer tyres tonight and found three thorns and no less of pressure. Faith restored!

zippykona

Just got in from my ride and noticed a thorn in my tyre. Pulled thorn out.
    Big gush of Stans. Span wheel ,it looked like a catherine wheel going off.
    Put wheel with hole at bottom, still pissing out. Put thorn back in ,gone inside to share my woes with you lot again.
    Does this stuff ever work,have I got a duff batch,have I put the goo in upside down?
    Aaaaaaargh.

Klunk
    Free Member

the most irritating are the ones that won’t seal past a certain pressure usual 20-22 psi, they also have the habit of going when landing jumps or hitting roots a bit hard.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sealed is sealed, why pull the thorn out?

That is not my experience of Stans at all – no flats in 2 years, maybe more, I forget. It even sealed a rather large hole when I “tested” my suspension full pelt at a curb. I agree with the previous post re tyre selection – I think some UST tyres are better/worse than others. I have 2.25 Racing Ralphs and can’t fault them; they are not super-aggressive, so might not be for your style of riding, but they are pretty light and seem good all round for most of my riding. Stick with tubless – once you get it right, you’ll never to back to tubes.

mintimperial

Does this stuff ever work,have I got a duff batch,have I put the goo in upside down?

Did you shake the bottle before you put it in the tyre? There’s “bits” in there that help to seal holes, but you need to shake it up to get them mixed in properly.

I can also recommend them anchovy things for bigger punctures. I’ve not used one on my own bike cos the only problems I’ve had on tubeless have been big old sidewall gashes, but I’ve used one on a mate’s tyre and it was much, much easier than faffing about with tubes.

zippykona

Reason I went tubeless was the amount punctures I got in my Crossmarks.
    I would love someone independent to replicate the riding over the plank with nails in the Stans video.
    Leaving the thorn in doesn’t seem like sound engineering. I certainly wouldn’t leave a nail in my car tyre.
    Might just put my Ignitors back on with tubes, a lot less hassle.
    Have previously used a tube with Joes in it. That didn’t work either. Maybe I’m just unlucky.

zippykona

……puncture update. It held pressure all night at 15psi. Took it up to warp factor 30psi and she cannae take it capn.

mattjg
    Free Member

Leaving the thorn in doesn’t seem like sound engineering

Fair point, tho you could well have other thorns in there you don’t know about. I know I do, if you pardon the dichotomy. I’ve had 2 instances recently where the tyre lost some pressure while riding but I couldn’t find a problem, so I put some air in and went on my way. I reckon those are thorn flats that self sealed after a bit of leakage. And last time I changed tyres there were thorns I never noticed.

zippykona

I have got paranoid about flatting with stans.
    So tyres inspected daily. Rather grief at home than trailside.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

As someone else said, are you Stan users shaking the bottle properly before pouring into the tyre?

zippykona

Fluid well shook and about a month old.
    Being a stubborn git I will stick with it and I will make it work.
    Those anchovy things look like being a god send will experiment.

muddy@rseguy

I’ve had 4 flats withs Stans notubes over the last year. First time I used an inner tube (v messy, but it got me home), second time it was a terminally shredded tyre on South downs Flint (bodged to get home) however with the other two I used anchovies to do a repair and they are flippin brilliant (less than one minute job including pumping the tyre back up to full pressure), used one just before doing the Maxx enduro last year and the tyre stayed inflated for the duration and is still ok 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

when you invert the bottle to pour into the tyre, do you cover the nozzle with your finger for a few seconds first?

If you do this, look closely at the nozzle and you can see the crystals settling into it, these are the bits that creat the seal.

crystals are your friend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘My first Stans puncture.’ is closed to new replies.