Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • My first motorbike crash
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Totally stupid 30mph spill, hit a kerb after fixating on the target and high sided onto wet grass (thankfully). Not much damage, but I have bent the gear selector link, but that looks easy to replace, scuffed the engine housing that sticks out of the fairing, and scuffed the top fairing, and totalled the crash bung. I managed to keep my helmet off the dirt, and my jacket now has a scuff mark on the shoulder to be seen as the mark of the muppet.

I was helped by a very nice lady, as the battery didn’t really like the lean angle, so we eventually got it re-started.

Managed to get away before the Surrey Police arrested me for making a mess of the manicured grass in Pirbright.

Ho Hum

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but I have bent the gear selector link, but that looks easy to replace

It’ll probably bend back. Even cast alloy can be bent if you know how…. 🙂

Other than that, it happes to everyone. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ouch – at least yo had crash bungs on

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s a crash bung?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thing that sticks out of the side of the bike and protects it in a minor spill. Thet save a lot of cash IME 🙂

EDIT
    Ones that attacch to the fairing are crap. I had R&G ones that bolt to the frame. In a big crash they mat bend the frame, but by then it’s probably a write off anyway.

jon1973
    Free Member

What’s a crash bung?

Is that the thing that looks like a door stopper to prevent damage to the fairing?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Thanks PP, I’ll give that a go 😆 I suppose this makes me a real biker now.

TJ, the bung is a mess so I hate to think what would have happened without it 😯

I’ll be riding past my black spot later…. with pride….

greyman
    Free Member

Assuming a right hand bend here ?

MrTall
    Free Member

My crash bars did more damage than good when i dropped mine last rear (although they helped a lot when it fell off it’s stand on my drive to be fair). The impact pushed it into the frame and bent it.

Still gutted the bike was written off despite having pretty minor damage. I’ve just found it for sale again with 1 owner and ‘light insurance damage’. All sounds a bit dodgy to me.

I miss my Vmax….. 🙁

AndyRT
    Free Member

your powers of deduction do you credit greyman.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I’ll take a picture of the bung, although feels a bit like taking a picture of an empty paddock and stating the horse was there, once…but I left the gate open.

The plastic part of the bung has worn down, and the shaft has half come away from its plate where it bolts to the frame. Fairing off and inspection later….and removal of lots of mud and grass….ahem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thanks PP, I’ll give that a go

If its cast alloy, heat it on a gas hob and keep wiping a bar of soap on it until the soap goes black. Then let it cool (Not in water though!) then after that it’ll be fairly easy to ben for a while. After 24hrs it’ll harden again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had R&G ones that bolt to the frame

Correction, not all fit like that. On Mrs PPs Monster there was a bar that went through the bike as well. My Speed Triple had ones that bolted to the frame at the engine mounts, so the same thing really.

Doorstops? I reckon more like wide skateboard wheels 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

:wink:thats rubbish I went through the windscreen of a car on the wrong side of the road for mine the second one i skidded underneath a 4×4 on ice on a roundabout thankfully they were stationary but they hit my head with the door when they opened it in comedy fashion
    At least you walked away

PP surely his main problem is that he is ging to slow ..is it not safer the faster you go 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

Junkyard, you may have point, but I would have landed half way up a very ornate looking tree near the Cricketers Inn. I would have most definitely been arrested for molesting Surrey aesthetics, especially as I’m not a Surrey person

greyman
    Free Member

your powers of deduction do you credit greyman

soz – a la Junkyard, it coulda been worse had you “crossed the line”

all’s well, eh ?

take it easy

gixer-chris
    Free Member

Seems like not much damage caused and you’re ok which is good! If you want more crash bungs try R&G – they do a crash protector scrappage scheme now

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP surely his main problem is that he is ging to slow ..is it not safer the faster you go

Well, I’ve only ever crashed going 30-35mph or less so you must be right.

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Genius PP 😆
    Actually I have only ever crashed at slow speed as well 😯

binners

Welcome to the club. That sounds just like my first bike smash. For my subsequent ones I upped the speed (and damage to wallet, body and ego)incrementally until achieving the full-on JESUS ****ING CHRIST!!!! I’M GOING TO ****ING DIE!!!!! near death experience.
    I’d advise against adopting my approach

redted
    Free Member

That’s not a crash! This is a crash!!!!!

AndyRT
    Free Member

noted binners!

ivantate
    Free Member

Sounds like what I did within a couple of weeks of passing. Didnt think I would make an easy corner and then looked at it for far too long.

Luckily no curb or hedge, slide straight into a field of corn.

Oops, still get target fixation after 000’s of miles on pedal/motorbikes, and have to work at avoiding it.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is a crash:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX4ZZqW790s[/video]

AndyRT
    Free Member

update: Bike has crack in the head due to crash bung. My independent mechanic says it might be possible to weld, but we’ll have to see. He reckons the R&G crash bungs cause more damage than they save, and stated that he’s seen various types of bikes written off due to them breaking engine mounts they’re using as anchor points. He reckons racing engine covers that have more metal deliberately to be sacrificial in such a scrape are a much better option.

Based upon the fact that a new engine head for a sprint st is 7 Grand!!!!! I have to agree.

Moral of the story: GET those bungs off of your bike sharpish!

juan
    Free Member

Psss amateur
    On my first crash I icked up the tank, the seat the bike and the mirror all in 4 different places…
    I bolt it all back together and then rode the reminding 340 kms of moutain passes back…

anagallis_arvensis

I crashed 12.6 miles after passing my test!!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

@anagallis_arvensis You’re proving that theory that you’re statistically at most risk of crashing shortly after passing your test. It’s not supposed to happen that quickly though.

ChrisA
    Free Member

i think there are varying arguements for and against crash bungs, apart from the fact they look totally gash on sports bikes.

I had them on an old ninja that went down the road and they dug in and flipped the bike causing more damage, since then, i’ve never bothered.

I have heard of them on mates bikes limiting the damage to bare minimum though, so depends on the crash!!

anagallis_arvensis

in my defence it wasnt my fault, got rear ended waiting at a roundabout!!

binners

Of all the sounds in the world, the sound of engine casing and fairing scraping down the road at speed is the one that never ever ever leaves you.

It still me shudder with pain and terror when I recall it. I suppose that’s a good thing. Self preservation and all that

Northwind

People say R&G are good but not all their stuff is worth buying, they’ve had 4 cracks at making bungs for the SV650 now and they’re still not up to much, 2 of the earlier efforts were completely hopeless. Their ER6N one could have been designed as a frame bender. But my personal favurite’s the one for the newer model Z750, it doesn’t stick out as far as the engine casing so if you drop the bike on that side the bung will never touch down. Genius.

Good ones can be very good though, I tested my motosliders on the SV pretty extensively at knockhill and was able to ride the thing home after an 80mph lowside right along the final back straight, out the outside of the hairpin and halfway through the gravel :mrgreen: I saw a 999 basically torn to bits doing the same thing later in the day, only slower.

Sorry yours didn’t work out too well… But as it’s a triumph triple it should be easy enough to get a cylinder head, considering that the engines if they fail tend to do it at the other end. Really 7 grand? Doesn’t sound right…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘My first motorbike crash’ is closed to new replies.