Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • My fire extinguisher based tubeless inflator.
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I know a few people have been looking at these.

I had an old co2 extinguisher I’d be using to gas up my home bar. Once it was finished I thought I’d make it into a tubeless inflator.

I got a Topeak replacement hose and chuck kit for a tenner off someone on here.

I basically just attached that to the end where the funnel bit would have been. None of the fittings I had fitted exactly, so I used one of the barbs, a bit of silicone hose and a couple of jubilee clips.

The next bit was how to get air into it. There is a little hex headed bit that I guess was used for recharging it. I drilled it out to 6 mm, cut a presta valve out of an old inner tube and slotted it in. This was the most difficult bit as the drill had to be quite accurate – not a huge amount of material if you get it wrong. I used a pillar drill at uni.

Have pumped it up to 100 psi and nothing leaks and nothing flies off when you squeeze the handle.

Annoyingly (not really) the last tubeless tyres I fitted went on with a track pump so I’ve not had a chance to test it out. Seems like it will work well though.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i like what you’ve done here… i’d be scared i’d lose a hand, or something far more important (!!!), if i attempted to engineering.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nice job.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Wrap some heavy cloth or tape around those jubilee clips, if it does decide to detach then jubilee clips are famous for taking chunks out of flesh when whipping around on hoses etc.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks a lot nicer than my plastic-tubes-and-pop-bottle effort lol!

milky1980
    Free Member

Snap!

[/url]20171022_101705_Richtone(HDR) by Da_Milky_Bar_Kid, on Flickr[/img]

If you still have the plastic bung that goes into the hose at the pump end it fits perfectly inside the brass nut, removing the blowing possibility of your silicone adaptor. I’ll be wirewheeling mine at some point and covering it in stickers as it looks a bit too much like a real extinguisher for my liking. Had it up to 160psi with absolutely no issues, makes an awesome reservoir for bottle-rockets too 😀

jamesoz

Looks nicer than mine and I have accesss to every kind of fitting/cylinder you can think of. For those worried about the fill valve, just fill it via the outlet. That’s how it’s filled normally.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you get a water extinguisher it already has a valve fitted

qwerty
    Free Member

Mine…

[/url]2017-10-22_11-05-19 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

😀

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Maybe I will have a second look at getting the output pipe all the way into the extinguisher head instead of the jubilee clips. Bit neater.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

if you get a water extinguisher it already has a valve fitted

No new extinguishers have valves fitted, the last manufacturer to include these on their extinguishers phased them out many years ago, they are still out there to be found occasionally, usually polished stainless steel units.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well it was an old one I got then but easy enough to source

zippykona

If anyone on the epsom area wants a fire extinguisher I’ve got one.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, that worked nicely – thanks

Kahurangi

I’m loving all these bright red fire extinguishers, which are going to give someone a surprise in the event of a fire 😆 🙄

I see Milky is going to stiker-coat his, good plan.

Here’s mine

see others

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/airshot-alternative

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It was only last night that I was screaming the C word at some ice spiker pros that refused to go up tubeless with a floorpump. I really must sort a proper compressor

Kahurangi

Or one of these!

Northwind has a properly big one, I’d make one of those if I had the space. My little orange one is the size of an airshot. I put 120 psi in before hitting discharge and that’s generally not quite eno

zippykona

It was only last night that I was screaming the C word at some ice spiker pros

Just exactly where do you live?

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Sweet, found one outside the rubbish bins this very morning, let off the remaining co2 much to the consternation of the neighbours. Will convert soon.

cjr61

Modified from the pic now with a Topeak chuck valve

kaiser
    Free Member

Out of interest why doesn’t the internal pressure fire the presta valves out of the side if they’re just pushed in rather than screwed ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Because they’re screwed in, not pushed in.

kaiser
    Free Member

OK thanks.didn’t see any mention of that ..the OP just said he slotted it in .

kaiser
    Free Member

weird ..the edit refused to allow me to insert the word “see” into the above sentence!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its a conspirasee…

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mine has been up to 200psi with no deaths! Did 4 tyres with that.

I have a compressor as well now which means I only need it for trips away, but I can fill it from the compressor before sticking it in the van which is a bonus

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Milky1980, is the plastic connector that fits into the brass connection the one shown on this? –

Hose

and the union itself –

here

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My fire extinguisher based tubeless inflator.’ is closed to new replies.