Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • My feet were freezing on Sunday – What Sealskinz then?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Llandegla, in slush and big puddles. One of my fee was freezing so its time either to stop riding until March or get some sealskinz….

Which sealskinz are best for keeping your feet warm and dry?

My 5-10 shoes are a snug fit so the socks can't be dead thick or I won't get my shoes on.

MoreCashThanDash

None of them, IME

To have them thick enough to give you warmth, they will crimp your toes restricting the blood supply and making things worse. And water gets inside them either directly or just wicking down from the top.

I find a good thick pair of merino socks – Costco/Kirkland trail socks are great, though cheaper at Costco than off eBay – are good enough to keep your feet warm even when wet.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Wooly socks and overshoes keeps my feet warm whatever. I like BBB overshoes for toughness and cheapness.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Sealskinz are absolute cr*p. Go for a nice comfy pair of wooly walking socks. If these get wet then at least they can still keep your feet warm (ish).

soobalias
    Free Member

sealskins are great, however they are quite bulky, if your shoes are tight you might have to look at overshoes, IME these are rubbish offroad.

ton

merino walking socks here too.
    cold water in your shoe becomes waemish water with merino socks on….odd

trout
    Free Member

yep another sealskinz are crap user here
    they fill with water that runs down your legs and them feel clammy and cold .

a size larger good winter boot and the wooly sox is ace

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Are overshoes not going to get ripped to bits on flat pedals?

grumm
    Free Member

I use sealskinz – they do get water inside but they stop your feet going numb ime.

spanishbarry
    Free Member

A guy I used to work with always complained of cold feet ,mentioned it once while he was at the doctors ,turned out he need a triple heart by-pass , was one of the syptoms of bad circulation , maybe socks wont help ??????????????

Northwind

Sealskinz are brilliant, unless you're cramming them into shoes which only just fit you in which case, stop doing that. They do let a little water in the tops but you'll still be dryer, and they act as a good barrier. Thermal layer- woolie boolies or similiar- underneath and you're laughing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

sealskinz are absolute pish. I have tried and tried with them and they always let water in.

Actually i'm p*ssed off with everything i have that 'supposed' to be waterproof. endura waterproof (deluge) gloves.. not waterproof! my montane xt eVent waterproof jacket (£200) – not waterproof.. my endura overshoes.. utter shit

I was cursing everything after riding at afan yesterday.

Pieface

I've tried the Merino lined Sealskinz this winter (Dark blue collar) which are much better than the standard ones. Not perfect but better than just wool IME. I would say to go for the long ones if you can get them.

rich-6
    Free Member

I've got a pair of sealskinz I couple them up with my tights and pull the tights over them, That way they dont get water in, My feet stay dry, warm and cozy.

I managed to put my foot in a nice puddle in the lakes in -2/4 last winter, Expecting to get a freezing foot in seconds (you know when you look down and think bo*****s :lol:) i was very surprised that my foot actually stayed dry!

Going to change to baggie troos this year though, Tights looked ok with SPDs dont think they'l pull it off with Skate shoes somehow 😆

stumpy01

I'm with Rich-6 here.
    Sealskinz with tights on as well keeps my feet nice & warm. If I know it's going to be really sploshy as well then I generally wear overshoes too.

But, if the shoes you mention are skate style, I think you'll struggle to stretch overshoes over them – they are shaped more for spds.

Also, as mentioned if your shoes are already a bit tight, then squeezing in some Sealskinz will probably make your feet colder.

richcc
    Free Member

I had a dreadful ride on the Rourke Cat and Fiddle ride this year using Sealskinz – got water down inside them and they held the cold water next to my feet all the way around. Wouldn't use them again.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Avoid Sealskinz IMHO , i wore mine for there first ride on Sunday and they wrere fine for the first 2 hours BUT once water got inside and it will it stayed there and made my feet freeze , so much so they turned mt feet blue and poured water out once i arrived home .

I reckon the way to go is some nice merino socks that get a chance for water to drain away and dry out and prehaps some Endura overshoes .

topangarider
    Free Member

I'm with trickydisco – so called 'waterproof' stuff just doesn't exist!

Apart from sealskinz letting water in the top – they fit bloody awful too – like putting a tube from the bog roll on your foot.

My Endura Convert 2 jacket leaves me with wet arms and chest and is as breatheable as a bin bag. Apparently the tests for waterproofness and breatheability are done seperately – so take no notice of those figures shown on the website.

Best waterproof trousers I have are a pair of regatta numbers I got £8 from CCC.

You will get wet – so make sure when you do, you are warm = wool.

megastream
    Free Member

Another unhappy SealSkin owner here….

They are truly cr4p. They have no shape around the toes, are uncomfortable, and DONT EVEN KEEP YOUR FEET DRY!!!!!

FuzzyWuzzy

Sealskinz are basically over-priced thick ill-fitting socks. Forget the waterproof part about them – the big hole where your foot goes in negates that. Just buy some decent properly fitting wool socks (woolie boolies are good in this regard although might be a little thick if your shoes are tight). Overshoes also help a huge amount with insulation (again though they're unlikely to keep your feet dry). If overshoes don't appeal to you (or your winter riding involves a lot of hike-a-bike then get winter boots instead (but still plan on wearing wool socks with them so get the sizing right). Basically forget trying to keep your feet dry just worry about keeping them warm.

fastindian
    Free Member

another sealskins are c##p skool of thought here, best bet shimano MW80s or similar, if you cant then decent overshoes, they prob wont keep you dry but your feet will stay warm

martyntr
    Free Member

Sealskins are fine you just have to wear them as part of a who;e winter set up….. I use sealskins and they're fine aslong as I wear them with bib longs over the top, then MW80 boots then if it's really cold and wet, my endura overshoes……

You can't just wear sealskin socks and shorts as the water runs down into them like a drainpipe…..

Aslong as you take measures to cover the top then they work just fine…

Waders are fine for fishing but if the water gets over the top then they're useless 🙄

martyntr
    Free Member

A thought….. does anyone have any sealskins they want to sell ??

No seriously… with this many unhappy users I should be able to get a few pairs off've here…….

email – teeceround at btinternet dot com

Smee
    Free Member

Your shoes are too small. No socks, no matter how good will solve this problem.

stumpy01

As martyntr says – I think as long as you use Sealskinz as part of your 'winter kit' rather than just on their own then they are fine.
    Never had wet feet when using them – my feet sometimes get a bit chilly if I'm not wearing overshoes as they are quite a tight fit in my spds, although they are better in normal 'trail' shoe things.

I tend to use overshoes now as well, unless I know there's gonna be quite a bit of walking/rocks involved.
    The overshoes definitely help to keep your feet warm & your shoes nice & clean after a muddy ride.

It's great as well to be able to get changed in the car park and not have to worry about putting your feet on the ground. Just change your socks last and your feet stay nice & dry for your clean socks to go on!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a similar problem on Sunday but I was wearing my sealskinz. The problem was that my shoes and sock outers were so wet that my feet were freezing, the wind chill factor had a big part to play in this IMO. I'll not be going out without my overshoes now which I think would have greatly helped the situation.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Woolie Boolie's are the way forward. Warm feet in winter, cool feet in summer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sealskinz & normal socks underneath. shoes 1 or 2 sizes to big. to fit this lot in without constricting and your laughing.

fbk
    Free Member

I like sealskinz but yes, you have to allow for the limitations of your foot having to go in them – either tape up the top or wear with longs/waterproof trousers and they'll keep you nice an dry.

ime, even when they do let water in they act like a wet suit, allowing the water to warm a little and keep your feet warm at least. This won't work if your shoes aren't big enough though as the restriction to blood flow will freeze your feet worse than wearing nothing at all!

elaineanne
    Free Member

i went out nite riding last nite with sealskin on and my feet were incredibly NUMB….. bout time they were made out of proper sealskin ! lol. bet the sealions dont complain..lol
    im going to try some wool socks next time i go out… bah to sealskin.. it was freezing tho last nite and snow flakes too…

bonj
    Free Member

I personally find that for road riding my sealskinz are more of a hindrance than a help as water just runs down the top of them and they keep it in rather than keeping it out.

For MTBing, though, the main cause of cold feet i've noticed recently is from splashing through puddles. my feet are warm enough until they've been soaked from splashing through puddles…i'm thinking the sealskinz might come into their own at protecting from this.

So i'm going to give my sealskinz another go this weekend, i may go for some duck tape round the top to keep the water from getting in.

Militant_biker

My old Sealskinz died the other week and became worse than normal socks – accumulating water. However, a new pair sorted the problem. Riding through frozen puddles and snow at GT last night, splashes freezing on the downtube, wearing 3/4's and Sealskinz with normal shoes – feet toasty warm. Superb.

Interestingly, I managed to massively improve my neoprene Endura road overshoes by spraying them with Juice Lubes fork juice…

surfer
    Free Member

so called 'waterproof' stuff just doesn't exist!

Of course it does its the breathability that is the problem.

I remember when Goretex became popular with runners, around late 80's IIRC. I worked in a running shop whilst at Uni and recall the nuber of complaints that it wasnt waterproof. It is waterproof however not good at letting moisture out which is created in abundance when people sweat. Non of the waterproof materials breathe quickly enough for active use. Maybe for walkers.

I suspect even the Event (which is supposed to be the best now) has the same problem.
    As above the best approach is to assume you will get wet to the skin but layer in a way that still keeps you warm.
    HH Lifa tops are the best item I have ever used for doing this and they have remained largely unchanged for 20 yrs?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I've only recently moved to low-cut Goretex MT-60. Of course they don't keep the water OUT (Well they do pretty well for light spray and a bit of mud).

Important thing is, riding every day through multiple downpours the last few weeks, I notice that once they fill up (really fill up properly, like tipping water out), then the water is trapped trapped nicely inside and has a real opportunity to warm up, and my toes stay warm.

In the past every sloshy puddle was replacing the existing water with fresh freezy stuff. So Goretex shoes are good..even when they fill up with water. (Plastic bags might be about as effective mind :lol:)

trusz
    Free Member

Sealskins are great if you're going on a dry ride and your shoes are still soaking wet from the previous. That is all.

nicko74

Oh FFS – lots of useless users of Sealskinz on here, clearly. Yes they work with a couple of provisos: don't wash them too much, don't stick them on a radiator to dry (these two points because the rubber lining has a finite lifespan), and if you're not wearing leggings over them, bear in mind that water can run down your leg and into the sock. Personally I wear them under football socks and find them great.

However, if you have tight shoes, you're going to struggle, as they're not snug and it'll be a tight fit

fbk
    Free Member

surfer – I disagree. My eVent jacket is ok for showers etc but, during heavy rain, it just soaks through. Everyone always blames sweat but there's no beading on the jacket, the worst wetness is down the arms and it can happen if I'm stood still

Unfortunately I've become very cynical about the existance of properly waterproof sports wear because of this 🙁

edit: I do still like my Sealskinz though for the reasons mentioned above 🙂

martyntr
    Free Member

Why has no one emailed me to sell their sealskins ?? I am disappointed…..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

martynr – want mine?

martyntr
    Free Member

Rob what size ? how much ? Email as above….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘My feet were freezing on Sunday – What Sealskinz then?’ is closed to new replies.