Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My eBay headset press experiences
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

Well, after reading good things I was expecting an easy ride. Could I get the cups in straight? Did freezing the cups help? Did greasing the tube help? No! I nearly got the top in straight when it went pop and shifted at an angle.

So out came the rubber mallet and after frantic bashing they went in.

Think i’ll just take the plunge next time and buy a proper tool which lines everything up for you.

parkesie
    Free Member

1 cup at a time or both at the same time?

Some times you cant beat brute force 🙂

orangewinger
    Free Member

Oh yes, one at a time. It was a brand new frame and headset and I wonder if the frame neede reaming or something.

br
    Free Member

Last time I needed this doing I looked at buying one too, but after trying to DIY one came to the conclusion that I’d need a ‘proper’ one.

Or, take it to our local bike mechanic who has a Park and knows how to use it – charged a tenner. Job done.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Problem is if you have a tapered headset it costs a fortune!

Does anyone know if the £30 cyclus one works with a 44mm headtube?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got a large adjustable clamp (think G clamp) and it’s brilliant for this sort of thing. Also doubles as a bearing press too.

Andy

Proper headset press all the way for me. After years of mallets and diy presses it makes me smile each time I use it 8)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

But there isn’t one for 44mm headsets is there?

Excepts the £100+ park one?

granny_ring

Mosey, a guy in states (mtbtools?) sells adapters on ebay. Try and sneak an email to him and he will sell direct which works out a lot cheaper than his prices on the ebay site

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers granny_ring.

I use the threaded rod but its really hard to keep them straight. Think ill try and use a couple of rubber door stops this time to help.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t understand. Surely with a tapered headset you just need a 1.5 adaptor to install the lower cup.

Pretty much every headset manufacturer does installation adaptors that are specific to their headsets but you don’t really need them. Hope do a 1.5 adaptor and there are loads of others on eBay

Having installed a headset with block of wood and mallet recently I think the sub £40 for the Cyclus tool is money well spent

Frankers
    Free Member

MoseyMTB – Member
    Does anyone know if the £30 cyclus one works with a 44mm

Mine doesn’t have adapters for big bottom cup so I got a piece of wood, drilled a hole in it and used it as an adapter

Sounds a bit of a bodge but works very well

No adapters needed for top cup

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the adapters and gone off the feedback on wiggle.

I’ve not seen a press that can be used with tapered headset or 44mm and I’d not seen Hopes headset press adapter.

Can you link me to it please Simon’s?

granny_ring

Mosey those adapters I mentioned fit on the cyclus press, I’ve not used them yet but they do fit on the threaded bar.
    I got a 1.5″ & a 1.25″ adapter.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Granny, it’s just if Simon says they are freely available from Hope etc I might as well get the one I need direct from them.

I’ve looked all over but can’t find any in the U.K.

I’ll ring Hope on Monday.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My eBay headset press experiences’ is closed to new replies.