Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • My Dyson has died – transplant or use the spare Henry
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m not overly electrical but after the Dyson sounding a bit ‘strained’ then finally dying I predicted the motor has gone. Only on the basis of changing the fuse and nadda happening when you switch it on.

Looked on fleabay and motors are available for about £21 – £40, so is it a case of unplug the old one and put new one in?

Anyone done it and is it basic DIY stuff or has Mr D fitted lots of clever things to thwart the savvy owners…?

footflaps

Swapping out the motor is quite easy. I’ve repaired the on/off switch in one…

Have a google for some online instructions.

drlex
    Free Member

Yup; basic DIY job on a DC07. I did try replacing the carbon brushes (£2), but it fireballed, so new motor was the next step. Also needed to spend an extra £2 on a long reach Torq driver.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Isn’t the standard reply to get a call out for the hateful machine & make the it as new for about tuppence halfpenny?

kcal

I fitted a replacement clutch mechanism to our older Dyson in the hope of rejuvenating it; it didn’t work (still sucked like an athematic geriatric) but it wasn’t _too_ tricky. I did need a long handled Torx screwdriver to get at some of the screws, and the clips and so on were a bit fiddly.

If you need to remove the belt, there’s a relatively useful tool to do that too (which I’m sure I no longer require, if you need one).

As for a motor though, I don’t know. It all seemed quite well put together TBH.

Have you googled / YouTube’d for the appropriate procedure (bearing in mind there are many diff models)?

Rubber-Duck

Hi, yes I have replaced the motor on my Dyson. It’s straight forward enough, most difficult part was getting the wheels off!!! I think I found a guide on how to do it from Google. Not sure which one you have. Dyson also do repairs but I don’t know how expensive it is.

Have a go,it’s nice to make something work again. Good luck 🙂

takisawa2

Give it a few hours somewhere cold…
    Our Bissell used to get hot & cut out. Eventually it would work again.
    I can only think it must have some kind of thermal cut-out.

Either way, it started making a horrendous racket & smelling badly so I put a new motor in last week. As good as new now. Was no more difficult than wiring a plug. Just lots & lots of screws.

And in terms of sucking power, the Bissell is in a different league to the Dysons we’ve had…& binned.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Have you googled / YouTube’d for the appropriate procedure (bearing in mind there are many diff models

I will now! Got a long handled torq driver so may rip it part and have a look..

Spin
    Free Member

Having seen this I wouldn’t trust a Henry:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmC62Eg82E8[/video]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘My Dyson has died – transplant or use the spare Henry’ is closed to new replies.