Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • My dog might lose her eye. Cheer me up
  • bigyim
    Free Member

My dogs been to the vets again this morning and we have been warned she may lose her eye. Its looking that way despite our best efforts. Shes a ten year old rescue jack Russell and we love her to bits so can people tell us good stories of one eyed dogs please.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve just been playing with one, the lady said he had an eye infection for years and a guy said just get the eye out and he’ll be a new dog. And so he was, a lot happier. Didn’t seem bothered about owt and came over for a scratch and rub.

cheviots
    Free Member

If you’re on Instagram then Evil Gordon of BeerBods fame has a great dog, Harold aka H
    , that ticks the boxes.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVswo4El7Ry/

No idea if this link will work

milky1980
    Free Member

My mum’s dog only has one working eye since birth and he’s had no problems with it, apart from when he turns his head left and there’s a post or chair leg there then there’s a whack and a growl 😆

She’ll be much happier with one 100% eye than one good and one bad, get it sorted and just make a huge fuss of her while she adjusts.

crosshair
    Free Member

Sight is third in line for dogs after scent and sound so literally don’t worry about it or treat her any different. You’ll care because she’ll look odd but the dog won’t give a monkeys I promise.

kormoran
    Free Member

It’s sad but I wouldn’t worry to much. If she’s in pain now she will be a whole lot happier afterwards

Our dog had a tooth out after a year of being miserable but we had no idea what was causing it. We got the teeth cleaned and the vet found a decayed tooth which they removed. We took an old timer in and got a puppy back! A complete transformation

mehr
    Free Member

What Kormoran said. My dog had 6 weeks of trying to save his eye but it had to come out due to infection (the original problem was he’d rubbed some fibre into it and it got deeply embedded). After the healing/getting over/used to it he had a new lease of life and is as bouncy as when he was a pup and still is at 11

ianfitz
    Free Member

Dogs do generally seem spectacularly un-bothered by missing eyes and limbs.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

My gf had a cat that had to have its removed, it carried on fine for many years. You could sneak up on it from one side though.

Drac

How does he smell?

Oh wait that’s the nose joke.

Leigh
    Free Member

Our Labrador has gone blind at the age of 6. They cope a lot better than you think they will, she still does everything she did before with us you just have to watch where you put thing’s down around the house where she doesn’t expect them to be.

Davesport

My cat got one of his eyes removed which wasn’t too big a hurdle for him. Then unfortunately the inevitable happened and he had to get the other one out as well 🙁 When they took his remaining eye out they made his meow about five times louder to compensate. Most annoying!

What I’m trying to say is that animals adapt remarkably well to things like this. Much better than us humans. You’ll still have her and she’ll be (almost) exactly the same as before.

D.

harvey
    Free Member

if the eye is irretrievable then the best thing is remove it. that will immediately get rid of the pain and discomfort. the dog won’t be a bit bothered!

5plusn8
    Free Member

I grew up with a dog who was blind in one eye, after a punch up with a nasty cat. If you lobbed her a chip, she would line up with her good eye then twist at the last minute and snap that tasty fried spud into her lovely old chops. She was bloody awesome, we loved her for a million reasons, including her one eyed blindness.

kormoran
    Free Member

My cat got one of his eyes removed which wasn’t too big a hurdle for him. Then unfortunately the inevitable happened and he had to get the other one out as well

😥

oliverracing

My border collie was blind in one eye since about 2 weeks where she was bitten by another dog. It’s the main reason we got her as she was meant to be a blenhiem working dog but could only circle clockwise, so at 9 months old we adopted her! 😆 She did have trouble with depth perception and catching balls but was otherwise the happiest friendliest dog ever!

We also had a 3 legged cat at the same time who was also fine and happy!

Animals are wonderfully resiliant things!

Drac

I like the fact Mehr’s dog has managed to learn how to use a selfie stick despite only having one eye.

cloudnine
    Free Member

My 13 year old Lab is blind in 1 eye due to glaucoma.. dogs just adapt and carry on. Im sure he sniffs his way around. His ears and bark work well. His back legs are in final stage hip dysplasia. Id be suprised if he makes it to christmas (but i said that last year.. and maybe the year before that….)

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

My old cat, dead now, had to have an eye removed after an injury. He coped just fine, better than me anyway, I wept like a child.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Crack on and love your dog, its what your dog would do. 😀

jamj1974

we loved her for a million reasons

That is the best description of what having pets is all about.

OP. You will be upset for your dog, but your dog will be fine about it. Take care.

singlespeedstu

My aunties dog lost an eye as a puppy.
    Didn’t seem to make any difference, even when trying to tease her with biscuits on her blind side.
    Seems she was smarter than us kids. Even with an eye missing. 😀

onandon
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

Our old dog had an eye taken by the vets. Aside from looking a bit winky and having a blind spot; you’d hardly know(!). He never seemed bothered by it and cracked on having all the fun he always had.

dmck16
    Free Member

What do you call a deer with no eyes?

No idea…

funkrodent

Lady I meet walking the dog on the river has 2 spaniels, one of which is totally blind. From a distance you’d never know (still charges around in the undergrowth) and even close up you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. As said above they are remarkably adaptable creatures! Good luck, it’ll be fine!

revs1972
    Free Member

What do you call a deer with no eyes?

No idea…

What do you call it if it does not move ?

Still no idea……

^^^^^^that cat made me proper laff

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘My dog might lose her eye. Cheer me up’ is closed to new replies.