Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My dog keeps on being sick
  • fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Every morning I find frothy sick sometimes with grass and other bits of greenery this morning pine needles anyone seen similar with their dog?

fbk
    Free Member

Vet?

Blacklug
    Free Member

dogs will eat grass when they feel unwell. Any longer than a day or two take him to vet.

ourmaninthenorth

As I remember from my parents' dogs, they eat grass in order to make themselves sick, suggesting a further problem.

Go to the vet.

fbk
    Free Member

Ok, over simplified.

It could be that your dog's eating pine needles that are irritating his stomach. Could also be his diet that's too rich for him. Could be worms. Could be the early signs of something more serious.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Took the dog to the vet "unsure" I just wondered if anyone had seen similar

Drac

Dogs in grass, full stop. Sometimes they puke with it sometimes they don't.

ddmonkey

Dogs tend to eat grass when they feel unwell, and being sick lots could suggest he has eaten something he shouldn't have and its got stuck somewhere. To the Vets!

fbk
    Free Member

I don't think dogs necessarily eat grass "to be sick". I think it's more they will sometimes be sick having eaten grass. And sometimes they'll eat grass and be fine (mine does in all the time)

hainey
    Free Member

Dogs eat grass when they feel unwell in the stomach. Mine very often eats part of his toys, bits of fur and stuffing etc and will munch a load of grass before puking it all out in a nice big ball. As said above, any more than a few days and take him to the vet.

Drac

FBK is right they don't just eat it to be sick, they eat as they're scavengers so eat any food available. My old lab loved nothing better than a nice graze at the top of the garden and was never sick.

Woody
    Free Member

As Drac says – my two labs eat grass all the time although the recent cold weather has given them a new favourite………..turd popsicles 😯

Vet if they are off their food/out of sorts for 48 hours, or straight away if they look really poorly.

duckers
    Free Member

Checked its turds for worms?

TooTall
    Free Member

Stop it eating crap it isn't supposed to.

Karinofnine

What do you mean "keeps being sick"? Do you mean continuously as in sick, drink, sick, eat, sick, sick, sick or do you mean

in the morning, out for a walk, eat some grass/? else, sick

or, once a week, sick

Have your wormed her/him lately?

Sorry, just re-read your post. I would have a look around to see if there is something toxic lying around. For example, dogs find anti-freeze palatable, even though it is fatally toxic to them.

samuri
    Free Member

Just like all organisms, odd behaviour like being sick or eating grass should generally be ignored unless it goes on for more than a couple of days. After that go see a health professional.

cinnamon_girl

Pancreatitus?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

One of my old dogs used to go mow the lawn every day for about half hour, then throw up.
    He did this nearly every day of his 15 years.

He was never unwell, and got run over the silly bugger

colnagokid

Our Jim (greyhound) eats a bit of grass nearly every day in the park, but its always nice clean new grass. He hasnt got worms, he's never sick, I think he just likes it! Spoke to a few other greyhound lookerafters and they say the same.
    Your dog might like eating grass!

Johnboy373
    Free Member

What kind of dog is he/she? I had this problem with my boxer a couple of years ago.

Vets had no idea so off we went to the animal hospital. Me being the worried owner agree to an Ultrasound(£500) which showed something in his stomach so they wanted to put an endoscope down his throat which I agreed to. That day I got a call from Doctor to say they wanted to open him up for a better look and as he was still under anesthetic I had to make a quick choice.

They took biopsies of his stomach and intestine they also removed a node from his stomach.

Some big expensive tests were carried out with no unusual results. Then they found some dodgy bacteria in his intestines and presumed that was the problem.

With hindsight I wish we hadn't went down the surgery route. I wish we stuck to finding a medication cure before cutting him.

He ended up on Steroids and Royal Canin sensitivity control food for ages but I weaned him off the steroids due to side effects and the fact they were killing my dog slowly.

How are things now? Well we're still on the Royal Canin food(£60 for 14kg) and no sickness(Apart from if he eats a stick or something)!!!! THIS FOOD HAS TRANSFORMED MY DOG!!! Its expensive but its amazing!

Insurance bill to date £2800. Thank god for dog insurance, Although I really do believe the Animal hospital was rubbing hands when they heard he was insured it was the first question they asked when we walked in!!

Woody
    Free Member

Pancreatitus?

Too much Marstons Pedigree perhaps? 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My dog keeps on being sick’ is closed to new replies.