Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • My Contact Lenses……the saga continues
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Well, I am finally getting used to these bad boys (ish) but my eyes are still not 100% with them. I have found the problem though, this morning I could have scratched my eyes out they felt so dry and itchy, so went to the Pharmacy and asked for eyedrops, she asked what they were for, I told her and she said I need BLINK for Contacts. Bought them, dropped 2 in each eye and instantly had perfect clear vision, both eyes, it was miraculous.

The bottle says put 1-2 drops in at any time of the day, I have been home 4 hours and have done it about 6 times, each time with the same outcome. Now, my question is this, is this too many ? The cost if nothing else will be horrendous, but also, do I want to be one of those tossers endlessly dropping drops in their eyes ? Is there any other suggestions as to types of contacts etc that might make this better ??? I’ll talk to my optician but selfish bugger that he is, he’s away till middle of next week……

Any clues/thoughts/helpful hints ???

Thanks all
    Sean

Jamie
    Free Member

I use Easy Vision Elite Monthlies from Specsavers and I never take them out, notice they are there or have ever had to use eyedrops.

HTH.

The bottle says put 1-2 drops in at any time of the day, I have been home 4 hours and have done it about 6 times, each time with the same outcome

Do you hear that noise? It’s alarm bells going off 😉

wwaswas

If you need to add eye drops you either have the wrong contact lenses or the wrong eyes…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Your eyes can be too dry for lenses to float correctly – mine were borderline.

Did they test them (ie, put little bits of blotting paper stuff under your lids?)

roadiesean
    Free Member

Wow, how blooming sciency this is !! No, no blotting paper and those monthlies sound amazing.

With eye drops in, I can see perfectly and I get the whole idea of these contacts, they are awesome, but really, I am getting 10 minutes of perfection followed by hours of miserable itching and sad-facedness !

Wrong eyes methinks !!

Alarm bells ? Definitely !! Why do you think I am posting desperately on a mountain bike website for eye advice !!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious really, they should just lock me up !

Thanks heaps guys.

carlosg
    Free Member

Been wearing contacts for 15 years now and I’ve never needed to use drops unless I had them in for too long. I started off on monthly disposables but now get dailies from daysoft.

edit; just a thought you are putting them in the right way? i.e. nice curved shape before you put them in (not curved with sharp edge)

chrisdb
    Free Member

Sounds like you need lenses with a higher water content? Are you on monthly or daily lenses?

Throwaway dailies are the best by far – no worrying about losing on or cleaning.

maxray
    Free Member

put little bits of blotting paper stuff under your lids

:S ewww I hate things in my eyes, I would have to put up with poor eyesight.. thankfully that isn’t an issue at present.

grim168
    Free Member

get the buggers lazered.

user-removed
    Free Member

I suffered with Specsavers lenses for years. Literally. Constantly itchy, usually blurry and the damn things were worst when driving – they would just fall out of my eyes!! Tried all of them from the cheapest to the priciest, daily disposables to wear ’em all month types. Some were less awful, but none were comfy.

Then someone on this forum started a thread about daysoft lenses and I haven’t looked back.

Life-changing is not an exaggeration – I now take them out at the end of the day and bin them. I can drive all day, shoot whole weddings without going blind in the evenings and am just comfortable. What a relief! Still get a bi-annual eye checkup though.

roadiesean
    Free Member

They sound the business, the ones I have are supposed to be excellent Comfilcon I think they are, but they are definitely too dry for my eyes, but I had no idea that they came in different “wetnesses” (ooh er Missus!)

They are monthlies, but you put them in and out every day.

I’ll try some of these daysoft ones next !

cheers_drive

I use Acuview moisture dailies and they are much better than the standard daileys I had before. I tried the ones you keep in for a month but got an infection one time and also suffered from really dry eyes when using them at work (air con and computer use).
    I suggest you talk to the contact lens person (Can’t remember their proper name) who can give you other brands to try.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the link user_removed. That is too cheap not to try out even though I have no problems with my current ones!

Esme
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re not blinking often enough? The eyelid helps wash tears over the lens, apparently, and keeps it moist

My optician says I should “flutter my eyelashes” every so often!

user-removed
    Free Member

Happy to spread the love! They are crazy cheap aren’t they? But then, you do have to balance it against paying for your eye tests if you don’t subscribe to a high street optician’s package…

spooky_b329

I’ve worn lenses for years, had several different types and always the same outcome, my eyes are too dry and the lenses make my eyes dry, sore and tired.

Over the last year I’ve given them a break, just been back 3 weeks on the trot trialling different lenses, have decided to go for dailys so I can just pop them in at the weekends when out on the bike. I’ve been given the eye drops to try, but haven’t tried them, as I don’t want to have to use eye drops. Optician has just told me to drink more, and that my eye glands are partially blocked and to take fish oil supplements and use a warm compress to help clear them.

Will take a look at those day soft ones, am also looking into Ortho K lenses, you wear them overnight and they remould the eye, then you have perfect vision during the day with no lenses. Once you are used to them you can even miss a nights wear with no loss of vision. I would be sceptical but a friend has worn them for four years and loves them.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Wow ! That sounds amazing, bloody hell you can get anything out there can’t you !

Blinking, I blinking never stop blinking at the moment, people I am interviewing think I am winking at them and blinking in most inappropriate places (I run a recruitment company, so not helpful !!) I look like a freak ! 🙄

Wookster

get your eyes checked mate lenses sound wrong I have just got some which are high in silicon so they wnt dry out even after 14 + hours really good from specsavers about a quid a pair.

stumpyjon

Dump spec savers and try a different optician. I’ve been wearing lenses for 20 years (and over wearing them) and have had very few problems. There’s lots of lenses out there, the best are generally the dailies and the only difference between most of them is the comfort level. I get good advice from my optician each time I go in for the annual check up, find an optician who will do the same for you.

spooky_b329

wookster, if you suffer from dryness then changing lenses won’t necessarily help. The last lot of monthlies I was using were designed to be worn for 30 days continuously without removing overnight. I would struggle with them after just four hours. The trial lenses are a new type of material which is meant to be better and they were worse. I would fill the lens with saline before putting them in, often I would need to take them out and repeat five minutes later as they literally stick to your eye, so if they move out of alignment slightly they will not correct, leaving blurred/double vision. I must have tried about 10 different brands over the years, plus different solutions, with no long term success.

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 stumpyjon (probably). I’m still with specsavers for my eye tests as they seem to be as good as any. But when I used to get the full ‘service’ from them, I always felt, I don’t know, brushed off? Processed?

My eyes are my living and the best advice the opthamologist gave me was, “Stop wearing lenses and go back to specs”, which is fine if you’re not peering through a viewfinder for a living every other day.

And since using the daysoft lenses, the scales have literally dropped from my eyes……

dab

aye 20 years plus of soft lenses here

tried lots of versions, monthly, fortnightly and daily

by a country mile Johnson and johnson accuvue moist are THE best daily on the market, best water content, not the cheapest but well made and if yiu get caught out can be worn for 2 days

they’re the only lens that doesnt dry out or feel uncomfortable even on a 3.30am start and home past midnight …..

spk to a decent independant optician for a free 7 day trial

forget specsavers / boots / vison express , robbing gits who use cheap low water content lenses and try to rip you off with stupid cleaning fluids

1 day wear is the way … wear em and chuck em …clean , sterile , comfortable

hth

Wookster

Hi Spooky I was finding my water based lenses were drying out whe riding or just after a long day.these new ones are ust great a lottle thicker but now I have worn them I wouldnt go back! No dryness issues at all.

roadiesean
    Free Member

I’m not using specsavers at all, good reputable independent optician who got my prescription better (more accurate) than in any time in the past 15 years of wearing bins. But I have to say IMHO he has not been fantastic in the contacts side of things in the 2 weeks I’ve been going through this anguish. Back to my bins again today (2 pairs – one short and one long) at least I can see and don’t feel like punching anyone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just as a counterpoint to all those ragging on Specsavers, I find them fine and I imagine they are for most people. Yes they could be seen as the ‘Tesco’ of the opticians world, well apart from Tesco now being the Tesco of the opticians world, but I get monthly lenses for £10 a month which I get on fine with as well as having a free check-up every 3 months.

Now, if you are someone who has delicate eyes then maybe you would do better to go to a smaller independent so they can take more time with you and sort you out, but as roadseans new post above this demonstrates, that is never a guarantee you will be better taken care of.

Oh, and I don’t work for Specsavers, just like to see everyone get a fair crack of the whip 8)

thehustler
    Free Member

sounds like dry eyes and probably in need of the new silicon hydrogel lenses as the moistur content is much greater

roadiesean
    Free Member

Apparently the ones that I have been using are the latest silica hydrogel ones, I am now waiting for 2 new types, one of the older hydrogel with a higher water content and another SH version with (apparently) higher water content ??

Driving me nuts and the optician was looking at me like I was some sort of trouble maker. Fed up.

clubber
    Free Member

Just to add some balance, I’m with specsavers and have found them fine – no problems in store when being tested, replacements no problem and delivered bang on time every three months. An no problems with the lenses. Guess it depends on which branch you go to maybe?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘My Contact Lenses……the saga continues’ is closed to new replies.