Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • My cone is all sticky
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Oh joy. So, one of the kids that was over for Christmas dinner has left a sticky present for me on the bass cone of my Linn Kans. looks like something sweet and sugary I’m relieved to say!

Being the source of all knowledge, what are my options for removing the mark? It doesn’t appear to be affecting the sound and, if not an easy solution, I might be tempted to just ignore it.

Suggestions? (Other than dropping the speaker on the kid’s head and claiming on the insurance)

Edit – yes, I’m making a big assumption it was one of the kids and not an adult, I admit

Rachel

andyl
    Free Member

woven fabric or smooth surface cone?

allthegear
    Free Member

Woven fabric

vongassit
    Free Member

Use a dog & engage lick mode.

CountZero

By fabric, do you mean Kevlar or other aramid? If so a soft moist cloth ought to do it, it won’t compromise the material at all.
    Not much will, bleach will weaken it eventually, but moisture won’t.
    And moist, or damp, not wet, a cotton bud with spit on will probably do the trick as well.
    [edit] Just done a quick search and they appear to be glassfibre, so just using a moistened cloth or cotton bud should work just fine.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah! I was a bit worried they would disintegrate. Thanks!

Rachel

stumpy01

Can’t you just persistently lick at it, until it’s gone?

allthegear
    Free Member

My neighbours already think I’m a bit weird. That might just be too much for them!!

handyman153
    Free Member

My neighbours already think I’m a bit weird. That might just be too much for them!!

Do they watch everything you do?
    Surely you could hide behind a curtain, give it a lick, then pop back out.

Cougar

It’s not a proper new year celebration unless you wind up licking a woofer.

allthegear
    Free Member

I was full of cold and stayed in last night, Cougar! 😛

Rachel

slowoldman

Rule 1. Kids in house, leave grilles on.
    Rule 2. Don’t allow kid’s in a room with decent speakers.
    Rule 3. Don’t allow kids in house – or car, those chocolate stains never came out.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If all else fails you can take the driver out, place it face down and on a large pile of tissue (enough to contact the surface of the driver but not so it’s taking the full weight), then apply 50/50 IPA and water behind the affected area so it solves the sticky stuff and it’s then captured by the tissue.

Probably…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My cone is all sticky’ is closed to new replies.