Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • My computer won’t wireless up?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My daughter runs her laptop wireless from a Belkin 54 successfully.
    But I’ve tried to run a tower with Windows XP and it just won’t have it(this is for my lad to use for gaming, live messenger etc) It comes up as limited or no connectivity.
    I tried a very old tower I had about that runs 2000 professional and that was fine.
    Any ideas?

petestuart
    Free Member

Reinstall drivers?
    Unplug it then plug it in again?

samuri
    Free Member

Does it have a wireless card? Are you inputting the SSID and credentaisl exactly the same? The SSID is case sensitive. Can you network OK using a wire?

oldgit
    Free Member

samuri
    The XP tower was in constant use before getting the Belkin, it was fine then.
    I did have to run a disc to install the wireless USB adaptor and according to the install it was successfully loaded.

samuri
    Free Member

might be worth checking that the drivers are installed according to the OS.
    go to control panel->system->hardware->device manager, find the usb device, probably under network adaptors, check there’s no red cross on it and that the OS says the drivers are installed and working correctly.

If that looks fine then it’s possibly an issue with the credentials. Do you broadcast the SSID from the belkin? If you go to wireless settings and search for available networks, do you see yours? do you have any encryption applied? try turning it off temporarily to see if that works

gonefishin
    Free Member

MAC filtering on the router is another favourite for annoying you when you want to hook up another device. That fooled me for a while as I tried to hook up an Xbox!

eviljim
    Free Member

open a command line and type in

ipconfig /all

then you should see a section for the wireless card.
    what is the ip address?
    if it is 169.somehting then it can not get a ip address from the router, this would probably be down to an issues with encryption.
    if this is the case turn of encryption on the router or ap. and test again.
    If this work then you will need to turn it back on and trouble shoot the issue. you may need to tweak the type of encryption try all the options for WPA.

saying that you could have just miss typed the key.

psyclone1976
    Free Member

if it’s an old USB wireless thing then it might not support the new wirelss protocols. Check the belkin to see if it running, WEP, WPA PSK, WPA2. You might need to buy a new usb device to get it working.

clubber
    Free Member

drivers on the pc or the firmware on the router seem to be the problem more often than not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘My computer won’t wireless up?’ is closed to new replies.