Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • My carbon bottle cages
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Turns out that they are not carbon at all, just carbon efect over glassfibre. At least that what it looks like.
    So was I wrong to think that my forty quid carbon Elite cages were actually only looky likey carbon.
    Not happy.

mugsys_m8

I’m getting a bling new cutom carbon frame, and want it pretty flash, but the only thing I can’t justify is the money they want for ‘carbon’ bottle cages, or at least a bottle cage that looks good. It seems there’s a big gap between a bog standard £5-10 and then a £30+ flash one!

Let’s stage a strike. It’s shocking.

grumm
    Free Member

Planet X do some that are ‘only’ £20 – dunno if they are purely carbon though.

brant
    Free Member

My mate bought some gold Hope hubs and was shocked to realise they weren’t real gold. I haven’t checked my silver bars yet.

oldgit
    Free Member

The gumph says that Elite Pase cages are carbon Hmmph. Five months later they look like something knocked up in the Blue Peter studio….sticky back plastic anyone!

Wondered why Hope hubs were so light considering they were gold.

mugsys_m8

WHAT? They’re not gold?

tinsy
    Free Member

oldgit I am supprised at you, £40 for a bottle cage, now that I dont get at all…. (I did get bought one as a gift once mind you)

Bought 2 really nice TA branded ally ones for £6 each last weekend, I thought I had paid over the odds for those as they had a name on them!!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I bought two 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

It sucks they now look shabby…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I have two of the planet X ones, they are carbon they are £20 and after a years use they still look great.

HTH.

bonj
    Free Member

what’s the actual point of carbon bottle cages anyway – surely aren’t plastic ones just as light?

And how have you only just found out that they aren’t carbon? Surely if it mattered, you would have been able to tell instantly by the fact that you weren’t going as fast?

this one looks just as bling, and less than a tenner:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-rib-cage-item121213.html
    can also get black ones

bonj
    Free Member

alternatively you could buy this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25967
    for £95! but it does have a “thrust spring that holds the bottle in the ideal position”. that’s ok then!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Making a cage out of carbon is pretty pointless but if you ‘really’ wanted a pure carbon one it would cost a lot more than £20 to produce – so anything less than £50 retail aint going to be carbon. 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

How do you know it’s NOT carbon?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s not butter

clubber
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it’s not butter 🙂

I have a couple on my road bike that cost £20 each (RRP at least, actually got them free but…) and they’re light and work well. £20 seems expensive enough.

Dougal
    Free Member

Carbon-style cages are pretty crappy at holding bottles in, wouldn’t fancy losing a bottle in a race due to one.

Stainless steel cages are the way to go, firm hold, and won’t mark your bottles like alloy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well they’ve gone white and you can scratch the carbon effect off with your fingernails.
    Tbh they’ve been excelent in both road and off road races, I always find that aluminium ones get mishaped! when your’e using them under pressure i.e racing.

aP
    Free Member

I use the Bontrager “carbon” ones on my road bike. Have lasted for 5 years and have coped with up 750ml bottles as well.

naokfreek
    Free Member

My mate bought some gold Hope hubs and was shocked to realise they weren’t real gold. I haven’t checked my silver bars yet.

as for ivory white…….

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just dumped (well – sold) two carbon cages and gone to the plastic Specialized Rib-cages as the carbon ones wouldn’t hold a full 750ml bottle securely.

oldgit
    Free Member

What! you think that I’ve somehow got hold of an ilegal stash of Ivory cunningly disguised as bottle cages?

naokfreek
    Free Member

Yes, most people do.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Hope hubs are not made of gold! I think what brant was saying is that PX carbon bottle cages are infact not carbon! Why did he not ust say that?

naokfreek
    Free Member

He was busy polishing his ivory.

oldgit
    Free Member

Still think an item like a cage discribed as carbon and selling for near on sixty quid a go should actually be carbon

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The money : sense ratio for these people has got to be astronomically disproportionate.
    A plastic bottle cage is EXACTLY the same. What the hell is wrong with people?

BigJohn

Composite materials tend to have the best strength to weight ratio. My windsurf boards are a foam core with a carbon/epoxy wrap on the outside. Hugely strong, scarily light. Maybe the bottle cage is the same idea.

brant
    Free Member

I think what brant was saying is that PX carbon bottle cages are infact not carbon! Why did he not ust say that?

I never said anything of the kind, and I certainly wasn’t insinuating it, and frankly am pretty insulted you are suggesting that I did.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I’m frankly not bothered brant. I was not making out you were saying anything ohter than what you said. More that your were being ambiguous.

Are the PX ones full carbon anyway? I reckon that would end another comment back at me!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘My carbon bottle cages’ is closed to new replies.